Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM

8 posts, read 18,928 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Another question while pondering the move to Tampa: is it more liberal/progressive thinking as far as social issues go?

I only ask because I currently live in a fairly progressive area (Chicago suburbs) and really DO NOT want to live in a place that is predominantly intolerant of:
- gays
- non-Caucasian races (mixed relationships, etc)
- various religions
- etc.

Would you say the Tampa area is pretty progressive in this manner, or should I focus my search elsewhere? (Yes, I know that there are always people on both sides of the equation, but I don't want to live somewhere where if a gay person "comes out," the community judges them on that, or the community looks down on inter-ratial couples, or different faiths.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
It all depends on where in Tampa you live..

Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccampbell3 View Post
Hi All,
Another question while pondering the move to Tampa: is it more liberal/progressive thinking as far as social issues go?

I only ask because I currently live in a fairly progressive area (Chicago suburbs) and really DO NOT want to live in a place that is predominantly intolerant of:
- gays
- non-Caucasian races (mixed relationships, etc)
- various religions
- etc.

Would you say the Tampa area is pretty progressive in this manner, or should I focus my search elsewhere? (Yes, I know that there are always people on both sides of the equation, but I don't want to live somewhere where if a gay person "comes out," the community judges them on that, or the community looks down on inter-ratial couples, or different faiths.)
Overall it is pretty much live-and-let-live in most of Tampa. There is a lot of diversity here, people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds lots of Latino, Afro and others, there are no major issues there. Tampa has ALWAYS been a melting pot, going back 100 years or more. There are a lot of gay neighborhoods too, a big one is in Ybor City (nicknamed Gaybor now) and another in Seminole Heights. Many other gays/lesbians just live in whatever neighborhood they like.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Overall it is pretty much live-and-let-live in most of Tampa. There is a lot of diversity here, people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds lots of Latino, Afro and others, there are no major issues there. Tampa has ALWAYS been a melting pot, going back 100 years or more. There are a lot of gay neighborhoods too, a big one is in Ybor City (nicknamed Gaybor now) and another in Seminole Heights. Many other gays/lesbians just live in whatever neighborhood they like.

Hope this helps.
Gypsychic has it right. Tampa is a melting pot and most ppl do not care about your private life. That being said, most gays are discreet when out in public.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Politically, I'd say the area is right wing conservative if that helps you any. Sarasota and St Pete seem to be gay friendly (St Pete recently had a big gay pride parade). There's a big rebel flag that flies just off of I 75 near Brandon. Tampa isn't a liberal city - more conservative.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM

28 posts, read 79,190 times
In my opinion, Tampa seems a bit more progressive than St. Pete or other communities in the Bay area, but that doesn't say much. I am a Black man who was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and I have to say that there ain't no place like home. To be very frank with you, my experiences here during the past eight years have made me short-tempered, impatient, and left me shaking my head in disbelief. Sometimes it is like stepping back in time 40-50 years when you listen and engage in conversations with some of the residents. Are there progressive and tolerant folks here? Absolutely, but sometimes they are overshadowed by the blatantly intolerant.

I am also in an interracial relationship which doesn't seem to be such a big deal for the young residents, but we still get NASTY looks from some of the older residents (No new South here). But even if interracial relationships are common, there still seems to be a division between Af-Am and Whites that may never go away. This division is seen through some of the comments that have been made to me and about my dissimilar characteristics from Black males who are seen as native Floridians. It can also be seen in St. Pete through the very distinctive line of demarcation they call Central Ave.

As far as gays are concerned, I am not that familiar with their experiences to comment fairly. What I can speak to is that my few encounters with some locals were not very tolerate of the diversity that gays may bring to the community or region. Lots of Bible thumping on this subject matter.

I am not aware of what suburb you are moving from, but please don't expect anything remotely similar Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Rogers Park, Bronzeville, or Chatham.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishphd View Post
In my opinion, Tampa seems a bit more progressive than St. Pete or other communities in the Bay area, but that doesn't say much. I am a Black man who was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and I have to say that there ain't no place like home. To be very frank with you, my experiences here during the past eight years have made me short-tempered, impatient, and left me shaking my head in disbelief. Sometimes it is like stepping back in time 40-50 years when you listen and engage in conversations with some of the residents. Are there progressive and tolerant folks here? Absolutely, but sometimes they are overshadowed by the blatantly intolerant.

I am also in an interracial relationship which doesn't seem to be such a big deal for the young residents, but we still get NASTY looks from some of the older residents (No new South here). But even if interracial relationships are common, there still seems to be a division between Af-Am and Whites that may never go away. This division is seen through some of the comments that have been made to me and about my dissimilar characteristics from Black males who are seen as native Floridians. It can also be seen in St. Pete through the very distinctive line of demarcation they call Central Ave.

As far as gays are concerned, I am not that familiar with their experiences to comment fairly. What I can speak to is that my few encounters with some locals were not very tolerate of the diversity that gays may bring to the community or region. Lots of Bible thumping on this subject matter.

I am not aware of what suburb you are moving from, but please don't expect anything remotely similar Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Rogers Park, Bronzeville, or Chatham.
I think South Florida is more suited to what you're looking for. You're probably like most of the people in this world who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I've given the Tampa Bay area many years and it has disappointed me in many ways with jobs and culturally. I only visit because my best friend works there and my family still lives there.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Tampa (within the city limits) seems slightly more progressive than Hillsborough County.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
There are a lot of forward thinking people in Tampa Bay, but all and all, still pretty conservative. Having said that, Tampa Bay is still the best place I've lived in Florida.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times
There are a lot of blue collar conservatives here. You get the worst of both with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay