Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM

66 posts, read 212,752 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!!!

The wife has been begggging me to let us move to FL, she hates these north east winters. Both of us have jobs that can transfer so that is not the problem.

We are looking to move to a family friendly and SAFE neighborhood. He have 1 child of now (4 year old daughter) and planing for atleast 1 more.

We are looking to get a nice size house n the 200-220k range.

What towns and areas would you all recommend?

Also- how is the teaching job market down there for k-8th grade? My wife graduated with her degree in teaching but has not been able to use it in NJ because the market is terrible for teachers.

Any help you can provide us with would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
The teaching market was pretty bad within Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties, with teachers getting pink slips and all. That was two or three years ago. I don't know if it has gotten any better.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:02 PM

213 posts, read 660,249 times
My husband is in the school district in Polk County. It is an ok district, there are a lot of openings, so I would think your wife could find a job. It doesnt pay the greatest , but it is doable. You can also find houses in your price range. There are some safe neighborhoods, but you would need to be careful, because there are several not so nice areas too. There are a few smaller towns in Polk that are fairly safe, with family activities. Personally we are trying to escape, but if you are tired of NJ, and want an area that is hiring you can try here. There has been a salary freeze but they have not had to lay anyone off so.....
Hope this helps somewhat , not really sure on other areas, oh btw Polk is in Central Florida, about 45 to Tampa , and 45 min to Orlando, to give you a point of reference.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 PM

58 posts, read 147,987 times
Teaching market is pretty bad to be honest.

Before I say anything else, I believe there is a new regulation in place regarding class sizes (that there can only be a maximum of X students in each class at any time or the school will face fines). I saw on the news today that one school decided to take the fines as hiring enough teachers would have been more expensive.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM

66 posts, read 212,752 times
its OK if she cant get a teaching job, she has a decent job that can transfer to FL, more importantly is what are good areas in FL for younger adults in the 220k price range for a house.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Due to the class size restrictions in Florida, Hillsborough County (Tampa) had a shortage of teachers this year. But, I don't know how hard/easy it is to get employed. Hillsborough County is the 3rd largest school district in Florida and the 11 largest in the US. Following is a link to the district website which includes positions available, employee requirements, forms, etc. http://www.sdhc.k12.fl.us/HumanResou...tive/index.asp.

And since Hillsborough County covers almost 1000 square miles coupled with the current economic conditions, there are lots of neighborhoods in your price range. The newer built homes will be in the far north (New Tampa, Lutz & Odessa) and far south (Lithia & Riverview) of the county with the older built (20s-40s) in the South Tampa and Seminole Heights areas. Everything else is in-between :-). It all depends on your needs, wants & desires.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-02-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay