Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:15 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Num, i generally agree with you, but slowing down when someone is tailgating you is not a solution since then you are the one who creates slowdown and forces people to pass on the right (a big no no in my book). Also a lot of people tailgate when they want you to move over and let them thru. If you don't feel comfortable somone tailgaiting you, you can always move to the right and let them pass you instead of slowing down the whole lane.
Thats why people need to think about their actions.. They drive like *******s, the rest suffer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
The left lane is for passing, meaning, if there is someone in the middle lane Not doing 70 for whatever reason (when posted and no other speed limit was announced), you can pass them on the left lane. The left lane is not for traveling at 70 or above, it is flat out for passing anyone NOT driving 70 in the middle lane. The right lane is the only one where you can drive 40 (per what's listed on I-4)

If you have trouble driving at 70 miles per hour, take SR-50 and drive 50 all the way to Orlando and beyond. That's why we have roads with lower speed limits, to accommodate anyone who is not comfortable driving the higher speeds for whatever reason. Same as we have I-75 as an alternate to get to Sarasota for those who don't like high bridges. The DOT has roads to accommodate all drivers and rules and laws to keep us all safe while driving.

The left lane in other states or South Florida is also a HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane...let's not forget that.

Of course all the above are canceled when it downpours.

BUT

You don't get to hog the left lane, because there could be police officers needing to pass for emergencies as well as emergency vehicles, the left lane is for PASSING, that's it! Not cruising your Jag or 70's Toyota...or spite other drivers and impeding the flow of traffic. To allow for proper flow of traffic for example in Europe NO Trucks are allowed on highways similar to I-4, in Europe we have roads just for trucks because they normally don't travel at the same speeds as we do with smaller cars therefore impeding traffic flow, not all but most highways in EU are prohibited for truckers.

If the middle lane would keep the speed at 70 as it is posted, traffic will flow just fine and no one would need to hog the left lane or flip from lane to lane to avoid these ppl that are completely oblivious to traffic rules and laws.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The left lane is for passing, meaning, if there is someone in the middle lane Not doing 70 for whatever reason (when posted and no other speed limit was announced), you can pass them on the left lane. The left lane is not for traveling at 70 or above, it is flat out for passing anyone NOT driving 70 in the middle lane. The right lane is the only one where you can drive 40 (per what's listed on I-4)

If you have trouble driving at 70 miles per hour, take SR-50 and drive 50 all the way to Orlando and beyond. That's why we have roads with lower speed limits, to accommodate anyone who is not comfortable driving the higher speeds for whatever reason. Same as we have I-75 as an alternate to get to Sarasota for those who don't like high bridges. The DOT has roads to accommodate all drivers and rules and laws to keep us all safe while driving.

The left lane in other states or South Florida is also a HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane...let's not forget that.

Of course all the above are canceled when it downpours.

BUT

You don't get to hog the left lane, because there could be police officers needing to pass for emergencies as well as emergency vehicles, the left lane is for PASSING, that's it! Not cruising your Jag or 70's Toyota...or spite other drivers and impeding the flow of traffic. To allow for proper flow of traffic for example in Europe NO Trucks are allowed on highways similar to I-4, in Europe we have roads just for trucks because they normally don't travel at the same speeds as we do with smaller cars therefore impeding traffic flow, not all but most highways in EU are prohibited for truckers.

If the middle lane would keep the speed at 70 as it is posted, traffic will flow just fine and no one would need to hog the left lane or flip from lane to lane to avoid these ppl that are completely oblivious to traffic rules and laws.

The left lane is often also for people who need to take a left and aren't sure where the street will be...like driving on a 3 lane road like St. Rd 54 which makes it also more dangerous since people might hesitate when the exit will be.....you have to take that in consideration when you drive.

Driving is also anticipation!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 AM

I agree, however, we have navigation, mapquest and this is part of "driving" rather than do other things....
I usually know where I'm going in advance and prepare to turn and turn without impeding traffic. If everyone on the road would plan their trips we would not only see better trafic flow but less accidents.

SR-54 is awful when it comes to what you describe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The left lane is often also for people who need to take a left and aren't sure where the street will be...like driving on a 3 lane road like St. Rd 54 which makes it also more dangerous since people might hesitate when the exit will be.....you have to take that in consideration when you drive.

Driving is also anticipation!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 PM

30 posts, read 41,527 times
Good drivers always give way for faster drivers, there is nothing difficult and I wonder why someones even question this. Drivers who can´t do that or even force faster drivers to slow down should get of the roads.
But I also have to say that fast driving has to be learned! When driving at high speeds you have to really pay attention to traffic in front of you and also behind you. I usually drive at 90-110 mph on the autobahn if conditions allow, but I have to look what traffic in front of me will do.
When I was on vacation in California and Florida I was amazed how civilized the drivers were.
I aggree that only punishing faster drivers is completely unfair and counterproductive. I made the experience that fast drivers are the most courteous drivers th share on the road (on the autobahn). I don´t know if it is also on the interstate in the States.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn driver View Post
Good drivers always give way for faster drivers, there is nothing difficult and I wonder why someones even question this. Drivers who can´t do that or even force faster drivers to slow down should get of the roads.
But I also have to say that fast driving has to be learned! When driving at high speeds you have to really pay attention to traffic in front of you and also behind you. I usually drive at 90-110 mph on the autobahn if conditions allow, but I have to look what traffic in front of me will do.
When I was on vacation in California and Florida I was amazed how civilized the drivers were.
I aggree that only punishing faster drivers is completely unfair and counterproductive. I made the experience that fast drivers are the most courteous drivers th share on the road (on the autobahn). I don´t know if it is also on the interstate in the States.
^I completely agree with this.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Me too, I agree 100%....I always get out of the way of someone else that's going faster...

From now on tho, I will take their license plate # and email it to the sheriffs office with an attached photo. Since the cops can't be "everywhere"...these ppl either go back to school and re-learn the rules of the road or learn the hard way that they don't get to dictate the traffic flow.

Quote:
But I also have to say that fast driving has to be learned!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Whoa... You're going to snap pictures while driving at high speed?

Your picture will do no good. An officer has to witness the violation for a ticket to be issued or anything else for that matter.

Sure, the left lane is for passing. That works great on interstates that are away from cities. Once you are in congested traffic the left lane becomes a traffic lane. I firmly believe that those in the far left lane should be moving faster than the traffic in right lanes, but that does not happen in congestion.
Everybody crawls.

I think what really screws up traffic in congestion is lane changers who MUST be two cars ahead NOW. The lane changer causes other cars to apply their brakes and that causes a chain reaction of braking way back in the traffic. Stay where you are and go with the flow instead of trying to be 2 cars ahead and things would flow better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Me too, I agree 100%....I always get out of the way of someone else that's going faster...

From now on tho, I will take their license plate # and email it to the sheriffs office with an attached photo. Since the cops can't be "everywhere"...these ppl either go back to school and re-learn the rules of the road or learn the hard way that they don't get to dictate the traffic flow.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 AM

No, when hubby is driving, I can snap lots of pics or even video...put the camera on my dashboard...no biggie....

Actually the Sherrifs office welcomes notifications of traffic violations, I sent them stuff in the past.

Yesterday on Tarpon rd one guy started turning his signal, stopped as if he was turning then continued on! another in front of him was doing 35 in a 50 zone, no rain.

None of this applies to a crawl situation, we were not even discussing that....we are discussing I -4 and the likes I-75, I-275 etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Whoa... You're going to snap pictures while driving at high speed?

Your picture will do no good. An officer has to witness the violation for a ticket to be issued or anything else for that matter.

Sure, the left lane is for passing. That works great on interstates that are away from cities. Once you are in congested traffic the left lane becomes a traffic lane. I firmly believe that those in the far left lane should be moving faster than the traffic in right lanes, but that does not happen in congestion.
Everybody crawls.

I think what really screws up traffic in congestion is lane changers who MUST be two cars ahead NOW. The lane changer causes other cars to apply their brakes and that causes a chain reaction of braking way back in the traffic. Stay where you are and go with the flow instead of trying to be 2 cars ahead and things would flow better.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
On 54 I sometimes stay in the left lane way before I have to make my turn otherwise you have drivers hanging there in your deadspot and making it impossible to move to the left unless you want to create a dangerous issue in the middle lane.

Before I get close to the area where I have to make a left turn mostly drive in the middle lane. In some spots the right lane is sooooo dangerous since many drivers don't use their blinker to let you know on time that they need to make a right turn and there is an area where no right exit lane is so these people use all of a sudden their brakes and if you behind a couple of other cars and can't see what is happening than 50-55mph can be very dangerous and it has already caused many accidents...I don't understand why the County hasn't changed this to make it saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay