Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

I think so! Tampa is higher than the rest of the county. Emm.. Funny thing. When I left Orlando my car ins went up $10 a month. I asked them why. "You might hit a deer". I think they based it on the older age of the driving populace here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Is that supposed to be an annual premium for one car?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I think so! Tampa is higher than the rest of the county. Emm.. Funny thing. When I left Orlando my car ins went up $10 a month. I asked them why. "You might hit a deer". I think they based it on the older age of the driving populace here.
That is ridiculous. I think people also tend to carry whatever insurance their agent recommends and are paying for things they don't need. Roadside assistance, for example, is something that many people pay for 2-3 times (car insurance, AAA, vehicle warranty, cell phone plan, etc.) Also if you have disability insurance at work you don't need to carry coverage for wage loss on your auto insurance, and many people don't realize your health insurance company will pick up the hospital bills for you when the auto policy maxes out.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I think the wage loss provision is part of the PIP package (required).

I dont have disability insurance at work. Nor do I have health insurance at work.

I kid my wife. "if something happens to me, put me in the car".

Quote:
That is ridiculous. I think people also tend to carry whatever insurance their agent recommends and are paying for things they don't need. Roadside assistance, for example, is something that many people pay for 2-3 times (car insurance, AAA, vehicle warranty, cell phone plan, etc.) Also if you have disability insurance at work you don't need to carry coverage for wage loss on your auto insurance, and many people don't realize your health insurance company will pick up the hospital bills for you when the auto policy maxes out.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
Quote:
I think the wage loss provision is part of the PIP package (required).

I dont have disability insurance at work. Nor do I have health insurance at work.

I kid my wife. "if something happens to me, put me in the car".
On my policy I had the option to exclude the wage loss coverage so it must not be a required part of PIP coverage. I also do not carry uninsured motorist because of my good health insurance policy.

Just curious- do you opt out of the health insurance at work because it is expensive or is it not offered at all? The smallest company I ever worked for had 50 employees and even they offered it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM

I'm an independent contractor type. I am not eligible. I may take on a new position soon where I will be a statutory employee and be eligible.

I really thought wage loss was part of PIP.

I've worked for companies with 5 employees who had it!

The best was when wifey worked for Universal Studios. Now that was coverage to the max.

Quote:
On my policy I had the option to exclude the wage loss coverage so it must not be a required part of PIP coverage. I also do not carry uninsured motorist because of my good health insurance policy.

Just curious- do you opt out of the health insurance at work because it is expensive or is it not offered at all? The smallest company I ever worked for had 50 employees and even they offered it.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Quote:
Do you have any links that back up your information?
I suppose I could dig up some links to support the fact that the cost of food is higher in Florida than most other parts of the country but I really don't have the time. Nor do I really have the desire. But I'll give you a hint -- you can find people tracking specific prices of grocery products each week on prepper-minded forums and in their Youtube channels. And while the overall cost of goods is going up across the board for everyone, the base prices are 20-30% lower than Florida in most other states to begin with.

Other than links and hard data I have personal experience from recent travel, and discussions and comparisons on this very topic with friends and family throughout the country.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Good enuf for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
have personal experience from recent travel, and discussions and comparisons on this very topic with friends and family throughout the country.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you are looking for cheaper food you can check out Angel Food network. You get around $60.00 worth of food for $30.00. Meat/chicken, veggies, rice, potatoes, breakfast and a desert. Anyone can buy it but you do have to pay for it in advanced. It is a good deal.

I agree with Labart.. I pay 8% on food.

Homeowner ins is a little higher in FL but not as bad as it use to be in 04. Really you can nitpick every little thing but if you shop around you can find a better price.

You do not pay 8% on food in NYS unless its a prepared food. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls...xempt_food.htm

Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
You are absolutely correct Ozlo! I thought FL was inexpensive in comparison to living in Northern VA (And it is) but it is not "Cheap" by a long shot and groceries ARE very expensive here! I just had this conversation the other day ironically.......Like it here alot but have been seriously considering moving to GA for cost of living reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Food and the overall cost of living is indeed more expensive in Florida than most other parts of the country. There are exceptions, for example: the Northeast, some of the most populated US cities, Hawaii, California, and any other locations taken over by the people who were run out of California on a rail. If you'll notice, most firmly believe Florida has a low cost of living are those who spent most of their lives in the aforementioned locations!

You can find some good deals if you look around and get into extreme couponing....but think of how good these deals would be if you went on a coupon run in another state!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
I haven't lived in FL for about 6 years now and as I said before the prices were about the same when I moved to TN. Is it just the Tampa area or all of FL? In the county I live in now we only have a few grocery stores, but the new one that was built close to the upperscale retirement community has higher prices than the stores in town. They price gouge just because they can, it's all relative.

My question is....Is it the area or the fact the food prices have been going up consistently? I have seen the things I buy on a consistent basis go up anywhere from 20% to 100% and the packaging getting smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay