Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the "right" evidence. The body of Caylee Anthony was nothing but bones when they found her finally. They put on every piece of evidence they had and put on the best case they could. Just because the evidence they had was not enough in this jury's mind does not mean they did a shoddy job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
If you want to blame anyone, blame the prosecutors or the police investigators/detectives who didn't provide the right evidence to convict or responded to the crime scene in a timely manner when evidence might have been preserved. Also, the the prosecutors didn't have an open and shut case - so needed skills to find a better jury (during selection), and needed to rebute Daez's case to give the jury no other choice but to find Anthony guilty.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,593 times
Quote:
When it comes to the death penalty/capital punishment, you definitely better have scientific evidence that directly connects someone to the crime. "She probably did it" using common sense isn't how our legal system was set up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/op...=1&ref=opinion
Again, here we go with the "scientific evidence that directly connects someone to the crime". Sorry to disagree but you seem to be a victim of the "CSI Effect". As in the Scott Peterson case where DNA evidence directly connecting him to the murder of his wife and unborn child was lacking, the jury considered ALL the evidence and ALL the circumstances and he was found GUILTY. Now, I believe that was an intelligent jury that properly deliberated. Subsequent interviews with Peterson jury members revealed how they CAREFULLY considered everything. Clearly, the Anthony jurors did not even take the time to request to examine ANY evidence presented. Now remorse and the gravity of the ramifications of their decision is being expressed by jurors. Oh, well. Buyer's remorse... It is just beyond me how even ONE PERSON did not stand up and resist what must have been some form of Stockholm Syndrome and say, "Wait a minute! We've got to consider things!" So Casey Anthony was found Not Guilty. That doesn't make her innocent. She is a murderess who got away with it. I pray her life is miserable and that karma will even the score.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Quote:
Defense doesn't have to prove anything that they offer up - not the way things work. You've got it backwards.
True the defense doesn't have to prove anything. But it is unethical to offer a theory in opening argument when they know full well their client isn't going to take the stand, it confused the jury and blurred the line of what was just conjecture and what was evidence!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
True the defense doesn't have to prove anything. But it is unethical to offer a theory in opening argument when they know full well their client isn't going to take the stand, it confused the jury and blurred the line of what was just conjecture and what was evidence!
Jose Baez did a great job of confusing the jury and he certainly was and is an unethical person. Some might even say a scoundrel... Check out Frank Bruni's article "A Sordid Cast Around Casey Anthony" in today's NY Times Sunday Review.

On Jose---"Expensive dating algorithms haven't produced pairings as apt as his with Anthony". I hope Judge Perry imposes the sanctions he spoke about to Jose. Initially, I just thought Jose was a boob but now that I have learned more about him it appears he is truly a reprehensible individual.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
It certainly would be unethical for him to throw out the drowning and sexual abuse stories if they were stories. I don't know what the rules are for attys but you'd think that lying in court isn't what the state bar would expect out of its attys. Appears that he had a "win at all costs"/"ends justify the means" approach. Wonder if he learned that in the St Thomas Law School where he was educated.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
It certainly would be unethical for him to throw out the drowning and sexual abuse stories if they were stories. I don't know what the rules are for attys but you'd think that lying in court isn't what the state bar would expect out of its attys. Appears that he had a "win at all costs"/"ends justify the means" approach. Wonder if he learned that in the St Thomas Law School where he was educated.
I think that's why Baez and company were hoping for Casey to be declared incompetant the last week of trial...I think they were covering their *****%$ and thought they could argue " look as the trial went on she became more unhinged and we realized she couldn't take the stand to back up our opening argument"! Baez is smarter then his bumbling court appearances!!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
If she needs a place to live temporarily, I can offer up my house for a few days. I'm sure we can work some kind of "payback plan"

Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyVerdict View Post
Another thing they didn't look at...Caylee was found with her bedding from her room.....so guess what jury....it was someone in the home that did it! George had no motive, jusy Casey! There was NOTHING to connect George to this murder and we ALL know she didn't drown with duck tape on the skull! She had Caylee's backpack and favorite doll in HER car.......must I go on????? This jury is a disgrace to the justice system. They failed to convict on EVIDENCE and did NOT judge the EVIDENCE!!!!! Pinellas County is the shame of this country to have people in their community that could not find this child was murdered! Oh please!!! Idiots all of them, idiots!!!!!!
Oh that makes a lot of sense...blame a whole county of 916,000 for 12 juror's decisions that were based on lack of evidence....Judging on your name, you made a profile JUST to comment about this case. Really? You need to find something to keep yourself occupied, why not try living YOUR life.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
If she needs a place to live temporarily, I can offer up my house for a few days. I'm sure we can work some kind of "payback plan"
Now remember what your mama told you..."pretty is what pretty does"!

Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
Oh that makes a lot of sense...blame a whole county of 916,000 for 12 juror's decisions that were based on lack of evidence....Judging on your name, you made a profile JUST to comment about this case. Really? You need to find something to keep yourself occupied, why not try living YOUR life.
Yes we are a big county I just think that the most highly educated that should be sitting on the jury pray they don't get called or try to get out of it!I know I used to shudder when I saw any envelope from the county come in the mail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay