Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM

55 posts, read 170,884 times

Advertisements

Seriously? Do you really NEED to drive so ignorant? I have driven plenty of times in and around Florida. In fact I am a PROFESSIONAL driver. Do you people realize the harm you are causing driving like a raving lunatic on the highway?

Today I drove around Saint Pete; around Largo and Pinellas area (on the highway), and I have never seen so many people cut me off in one day in my life! It was absurb. What the heck is up with that?

These people are part of the reason why I have to pay high insurance. These people are also part of the reason why I have to sit in traffic due to unnecessary accidents.

You want to get there on time, then why don't you leave a little earlier? It's not my fault you failed at Time Management 101. Get a grip man.

Driving is a Privilege you know, not a right.
I gotta get there too you know; my goal is in one piece.

Please slow down Period

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,101,753 times
I'm not as anal as you are about it, but I definitely agree with you. People who get speeding tickets are complete morons. If they REALLY sat down and thought about their speed versus variables on the road...they would realize that going 65 in that 45 is going to get you there around 10 seconds faster than myself going the speed limit due to stop signs, lights, traffic, etc. What is that worth? A $200 speeding ticket?

My girlfriend used to speed a lot until I had to demonstrate this exact point to her...unless you are traveling on the interstate, speeding isn't worth it. I had to show her some crazy guy speeding down Dale Mabry from Kennedy...and we picked a few others speeders passing by as well- most going 10-15 over the limit. By the time we got to Lowe's on S Dale Mabry, we could see a couple of these particular drivers approaching Gandy...all of about 10 seconds ahead of us. The lights, traffic, and other variables you approach while pumping the pedal to speed doesn't make up for much. Congratulations to them.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
I always get a kick out of the driver that weaves in and out of traffic in order to get around cars only to end up side-by-side or even behind the cars he/she's maneuvering around at stop lights. They think they're getting ahead, but most likely, they're not making up any time.

The problem is they don't give themselves enough time for where they want to go (work, etc). They're running late and think they can make it up on the road.

I find that most of the time these drivers are out during rush hour traffic.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandBlueSkies View Post
Seriously? Do you really NEED to drive so ignorant? I have driven plenty of times in and around Florida. In fact I am a PROFESSIONAL driver. Do you people realize the harm you are causing driving like a raving lunatic on the highway?

Today I drove around Saint Pete; around Largo and Pinellas area (on the highway), and I have never seen so many people cut me off in one day in my life! It was absurb. What the heck is up with that?

These people are part of the reason why I have to pay high insurance. These people are also part of the reason why I have to sit in traffic due to unnecessary accidents.

You want to get there on time, then why don't you leave a little earlier? It's not my fault you failed at Time Management 101. Get a grip man.

Driving is a Privilege you know, not a right.
I gotta get there too you know; my goal is in one piece.

Please slow down Period

I totally agree,but people are going to continue to drive with ever increasing stupidity as their compulsive need to go faster with more techno distractions increases,
How many died last year because of some moron's stupidity? probably 45,000
I never had a problem with the 55mph speed limit,kinda made driving stress free and kinda refreshing, i say bring it back and enforce it with extreme prejudice....

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,005 times
Until the society of entitlement realizes that they are not "entitled", nothing is going to change ... so many accidents on dry roads under sunny skies due to someone's ignorance ...

Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Until the society of entitlement realizes that they are not "entitled", nothing is going to change ... so many accidents on dry roads under sunny skies due to someone's ignorance ...
*clapping and loudly cheering*

And those ignoramuses wear their speeding and reckless driving like a badge of honor. They want us to think they drive that way because they're more intelligent than average. By and large, there seems to be a specific type of person who thinks anyone who doesn't think (or drive) like them lacks intellect.

How dumb is that!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM

55 posts, read 170,884 times
And for the people who wish to drive slow and take their time, more power to you. That is what the "granny" lane is for.

That is your "special" lane. We have made that especially for you, you know.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,627,603 times
Florida (not just Tampa Bay) has the worst drivers I've ever seen. I think we are ranked #4 nationally for bad drivers. My biggest complaints on the highway are the selfish left lane drivers who refuse to move over and force people to pass on the right. Also, the selfish people who wait until the very last possible second to merge over when a lane ends at a construction site. They ignore the warning signs that the lane will end and try to move to the front of the line causing a traffic jam for everyone else who merged well before the lane ends.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM

173 posts, read 449,561 times
First, driving a car is worst than shopping at Walmart for most people. But I totally enjoy it. EVERYONE drives, the young and old, the rich and poor, the aggressive and the passive, the alert and the texting/eating/abusing children in the back seat, those having fun and those in a hurry to get someplace.

Second, driving is a discussion that will get you nowhere. I have spoken to friends and they seem to be in all categories. So no matter how rude, slow, granny, fast or wreckless, you have friends that are in that category.

Third, people make assumptions about other drivers that are not accurate. For example, I drive a Shelby and a minivan. The type of car normally doesn't dictate the flavor of the driving experience. The driver does. I have seen Corvettes drive like a granny and a Buick drive like a race car.

Fourthly, driving style. I can hop into my Shelby and intend to go NOWHERE. I just want to drive. I am not in a hurry but you could not tell by the multiple green light accelerations. It is fun feeling the rear-end of the car kick sideways and get up to speed. But my intention is not to get ahead of people. Other times I try to weave in and out of traffic just to see if I can safely do it. Cars can be moving orange cones to maneuver around.

Fifthly, I have my own pet-peeves, texting while driving is one; Not using a turn signal is another; Turn right from the far left lane is still another. When I drive, I drive defensively and assume every car around me is not paying attention. I never drive in a blind spot and I try to make my car visible with subtle cues like horns, lights, my radio, or tire squeal. No accidents and only one ticket in over 400k driving.

Sixthly, I know not everyone can drive like I do, there is a diminishing returns.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,206,610 times
Some of this is a result of bad traffic light design in many palces. I know a thing or two about trafic light design and pay particular attention when I am driving around the bay area. Most of the trafic lights are designed really bad and encourage speeding because people (who travel on the same road everyday) know that they have to speed to catch some of the lights. It is absurd that in someplaces you would have to go over the limit to catch the green. Even more surprising is the equal time that is given to different intersection roads even though they have different trafic volumes in different direction.

The only place that I appreciate the trafic light design is in downtown Tampa and those 30mph roads in fact are smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay