Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 AM

74 posts, read 120,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We recently signed up with Tampa Electric for our new rental in Jovita Lake. When we were going through the phone call we were asked if we wanted Surge Protection, $70. install, $7.95 a month. I had never heard of an electric company offering this so when I found out I could order it later I put it off until I could study on it.

I have always had surge protection for my electronic devices off of the plug-ins. Is this a different thing? Worth it?

I tried getting the specifics on the web but got nowhere.

I have read that Florida, being the exciting place that it is, has a great deal of lightning. Folks get hit by lightning in Ohio but only if they've been real bad.

Last edited by gmanbat; 06-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: spelled lightning as lightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 AM

254 posts, read 591,206 times
I just ordered the Zap Cap from Tampa Electric too. I've always meant to do this and haved finally done it. From what I understand, the zap cap is to help limit the damagae from lightning strikes and power surges. I've been through hell and back with power outages and the resulting power surge when it comes back on. I've had the fridge go out because of surges and zap cap is supposed to prevent that. They also give you one multi plug electronic inside surge protector. They said even though the power strip you buy retail is supposed to give you some protection, they aren't 100%.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM

143 posts, read 241,389 times
Appears to be a surge arrestor that mounts directly on your panel. $70 for install seems a bit steep because if it's easy access takes about 10 minutes, however I guess they are covering themselves if it turns into a nightmare. ~$8 a month must be for rental on the device. They are the same deal as what's in the power bar surge protction except these have a much bigger rating and probably much more dependable/reliable as well. I wonder what they would cost to buy outright? I'm guessing ~$100 to $150. I'll have to look into that for curiosity.

BTW thanks for the thread! It reminded me to grab my surge arrestor of my panel before I move down there.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
I have worked in a ton of peoples houses who got surges and lost things and teco didnt pay for it even though they had the zap cap.

There are many times that the surge doesn't even come from the power lines. It may come from the cable or phone, a tree near by or anything in between. Not to say that teco hasnt ever paid on on that deal but I have seen 20+ houses that took a hit, im there to repair the cable damages and they are on their own for other damages.

with that said, I think its a waste. Put a decent surge protector on each outlet of the home that has anything valuable and your odds of surviving the surge are much better. A lot of decent ones (panamax) have a warranty that covers if anything is lost that is connected to it.

Also, be sure to connect phone lines, cable lines AND power.. Dont think that "o, its the cable companies modem who cares if it gets damaged". Too many times I have seen it go through the modem, through the router and take out the computer eventhough the computer is plugged into the surge protector.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
You can buy a panel mounted surge protector for around $100 that has the same warranty you'll get with the one from TECO. If you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself (all it takes is two open slots on the panel and an attachment to the ground wire), add another $60 or so for the install.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM

126 posts, read 218,762 times
Is there alot of surges and power outages in the bay area?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I have worked in a ton of peoples houses who got surges and lost things and teco didnt pay for it even though they had the zap cap.

There are many times that the surge doesn't even come from the power lines. It may come from the cable or phone, a tree near by or anything in between. Not to say that teco hasnt ever paid on on that deal but I have seen 20+ houses that took a hit, im there to repair the cable damages and they are on their own for other damages.

with that said, I think its a waste. Put a decent surge protector on each outlet of the home that has anything valuable and your odds of surviving the surge are much better. A lot of decent ones (panamax) have a warranty that covers if anything is lost that is connected to it.

Also, be sure to connect phone lines, cable lines AND power.. Dont think that "o, its the cable companies modem who cares if it gets damaged". Too many times I have seen it go through the modem, through the router and take out the computer eventhough the computer is plugged into the surge protector.

I'm moving to a place w/ ZAP Cap and I think I'll follow your advice and drop the $8/month fee and cover computers, HDTV with surge protectors. Not sure if the larger appliances (refrigerator, washer, dryer) can be hooked up to surge protectors though.

Good idea on protecting the cable stuff/modem.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:51 AM

77 posts, read 107,980 times
Anyone know anything about the install? We're going to buy a whole house protector that we thought went on to the box outside, but there's a lock on it. I'm not paying $6/month for years when I can buy a good one for $100-200. But how do I get it installed?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:13 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellohio View Post
Anyone know anything about the install? We're going to buy a whole house protector that we thought went on to the box outside, but there's a lock on it. I'm not paying $6/month for years when I can buy a good one for $100-200. But how do I get it installed?
Call a Licensed Electrician.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM

141 posts, read 211,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellohio View Post
Anyone know anything about the install? We're going to buy a whole house protector that we thought went on to the box outside, but there's a lock on it.
First, let's define what a protector does. One adjacent to the appliance must either block or absorb a surge. How does its hundreds joules absorb destructive surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules? How does it block what three miles of sky could not? Appreciate the many who recommend this ineffective device without asking damning questions with numbers - such as the two above questions.

Those plug-in protectors with no earth ground (and do not discuss earthing) can even make appliance damage easier.

Second, a completely different device is also called a surge protector. To keep you confused, two completely different devices have the same name: surge protector. But the second and effective solution connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to what actually does protection. Not a protector. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate? The earth ground that is connected low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to a protector or directly to the utility wire.

Best protection on TV cable (for example) is a hardwire from the cable low impedance (ie no sharp wire bends) to single point earth ground. AC electric cannot connect directly. So we do a next best thing. Install a 'whole house' protector to do what a hardwire would do better.

A utility installed protector (ie located behind the electric meter) does same. So easily installed that a girl who reads the meter might do it. But here is the rub. That protector is also only as effective as the earth ground that only you are responsible for. It must both meet and exceed code requirements.

Third, plenty of companies with integrity manufacturer these proven products including Siemens, Square D, Syscom, Polyphaser (an industry benchmark), General Electric, Ditek, ABB, Leviton, and Intermatic. A Cutler-Hammer sells in both Lowes and Home Depot. This should cost about $1 per protected appliance. And again, it is only as effective as its earth ground. Earthing (not the protector) should have most of your attention.

Lightning (one example of a surge) can be 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector should be 50,000 amps. Any protector that fails is ineffective - often a profit center designed to bait the naïve. No protector must fail even after a direct lightning strike. And again, every effective protector makes a low impedance (ie hardwire not inside metallic conduit) connection to earth.

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. Once inside, that surge will hunt for earth destructively via appliances. A surge must connect to earth without entering the building. Every protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Finally, this only discusses the 'secondary' protection layer. Your 'primary' protection layer is typically on the utility poles. Again, every layer of protection is defined what what does that protection - earth ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: