Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times

Advertisements

What????

How do u know it was an $8/hr job??? Did u follow them? Bored much! 99.99% of the time if someone is at your bumper it means YOU were taking a nap while driving!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I drive that way for the fun of it. Nothing like having 500hp+ to play around with.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
I love playing break check with those people (provided of course that my son is not in the car). If he is in the car, just go way slower. Tailgating me doesnt get you any faster, its usually much slower.

For what its worth, i drive the speed limit and *maybe* 5 over if i'm on the interstate. No faster.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Ditto for me too rezfreak. Taligating doesn't push me faster, usually the opposite. im doing the speed limit. NOt interested in traffic violations.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
i agree with the OP. pay levels are so incredibly low in tampa and the levels of low income, poor people is off the charts. when u r on 275 look around at the other cars, most are beat up, missing hubcaps, using a spare tire, etc...and they are driving like they are in a lawless 3rd world country. no wonder the economy never improves here, there's no way u could attract large numbers of educated, smart, worldy people to live here.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Ditto for me too rezfreak. Taligating doesn't push me faster, usually the opposite. im doing the speed limit. NOt interested in traffic violations.
Nowadays speeding tickets are no joke, I got a ticket going doing 40 in a 25, it was 35 but because it ran through the back of a park it turn to 25. Anyway $120 later and now my insurance went up $30 a month for the next 3 years, first speeding ticket in my license, i called they told me they had accident forgiveness but not for speeding convictions.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Can someone please enlighten me on why everyone here is in such a hurry to make it on time to an $8hr job? I could understand maybe in NY or DC where you are actually making money, but why get all up on someones rear when the job you are going to is a step above fry cook?

Median hourly wage Mean hourly wage
Tampa Metro $15.36 $20.23
NYC Metro $20.36 $27.02

Take in to account City income tax, state income tax it would bring the median in NYC down to about $18.40/hr and the mean to about $24.41 add the higher cost of living and I fail to see where this "step above fry cook comes in". Just to enlighten you, a fast food worker in NYC makes on average about 75 cents an hour more than one in Tampa, take out city and state tax and NYC fast food workers make less on average than Tampa fast food workers.

If you would care to enlighten yourself more here is a link for you, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I take it you never drove in NYC or DC either since if you had you would know how bad the drivers are there going to jobs that net them just above Tampa wages so they can pay much higher than Tampa cost of living.

Last edited by Mike1306; 10-09-2012 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
there's no way u could attract large numbers of educated, smart, wordy people to live here.
Not at $8 an hour!

But you also won't attract those people with service industry jobs!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 AM

You forgot to specify WHICH jobs make that money, and add:
level of experience
personal appearance
and last but not least "who" you know.

Florida - May 2011 OES State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

That list gives you pay scale by work field...check out the food section...then tell me IF we have less restaurants than biology labs here in Tampa.

But regarding bad drivers you can actually forget NYC and DC, and try the Jersey Turnpike once; you'll surrender your license willingly after driving on that road!
hahahahahaha......and then, those ppl driving on that Turnpike move here...last week I counted 15 license plates from "The Garden State".....But really, look at who tailgates....minivans? Jeep's? nope...just those little (potentially stolen) Honda's with speakers in the trunk, and those elevated former Buick's with SUV tires, and very very pink or very very bright green paint jobs...and some other low Japanese cars...and sometimes an F-150 with some red neck in a hurry to get to some crack house!

I was never tailgated by an 80 year old...BUT, I have seen 80 year olds hugging the left/passing lane and make everyone else "look" like they were speeding, just to pass them through the right lane, which is also illegal.

The problem is that people assume that the road is theirs to do whatever they want on it...it is NOT. The road is shared, and because its shared we have traffic rules. If I was a cop, I would randomly pull over people and ask them what is at page 48 in the driving manual!!!!! Everyone driving on any road should have that book memorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Median hourly wage Mean hourly wage
Tampa Metro $15.36 $20.23
NYC Metro $20.36 $27.02

Take in to account City income tax, state income tax it would bring the median in NYC down to about $18.40/hr and the mean to about $24.41 add the higher cost of living and I fail to see where this "step above fry cook comes in". Just to enlighten you, a fast food worker in NYC makes on average about 75 cents an hour more than one in Tampa, take out city and state tax and NYC fast food workers make less on average than Tampa fast food workers.

If you would care to enlighten yourself more here is a link for you, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I take it you never drove in NYC or DC either since if you had you would know how bad the drivers are there going to jobs that net them just above Tampa wages so they can pay much higher than Tampa cost of living.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Enough opinions expressed for this.
Closing this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay