Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Florida on March 10th, 2013 and driving directly to Daytona Beach. My parents have offered me their condo (for free) so I can make the big move and take my time and not worry too much. I used to live in Daytona 10 years ago, so I am somewhat familiar with it.

But I need to end up permanantly where there is a gay scene, so I don't feel lonely the rest of my life. I have thought about just going to Orlando on the weekends and staying in Daytona (and that is still a possibility), but that would still be a 45 min drive.

Doing almost a year of research, I've been drawn to the Tampa/St. Pete area mostly. I'm a laidback guy. I'm not a fast-paced New Yorker or San Francisco person. I like to do things nice and slow. I'm not the most culturally educated person, so I don't really require museams, art galleries, operas, etc. But the Saturday Market sounds nice. I live in Portland, Oregon right now, so I am well aware of hipsters and culture like that. It would be more up my alley, yes.

But then there's Fort Lauderdale, and I'm thinking that if I'm going to make the move from Oregon to Florida, I should just make FL my ultimate destination, as it seems "the place to be if you're a gay man" type of place. I LOVE the beach, beach bars, restaurants, etc. I'm a server/bartender myself, so all that stuff is right up my alley. But at the same time, I'm not superficial. I'm not fake or pretentious. I'm laidback remember?

There is also the money issue. In Portland I pay 678 for a 1-bedroom and I wouldn't want to pay more than that. I am hoping for 600 or less. I intend on getting a server/bartender position.

Does 600 in Fort Lauderdale get you nothing? I would want to be as close to the beach in BOTH areas as possible. Can I get close in St. Pete?

Should I go from Daytona (which is free) to St. Pete and THEN to Fort Lauderdale after a year or two?

How does St. Pete Beach compare to Fort Lauderdale's beaches?

any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Not my cup of tea but i doubt you'll get lonely in Daytona..

https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...iw=853&bih=493

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
$600 in Fort Lauderdale will have you in the worst crack town! for $600 you won't be close to any beaches in FL...
Stay in Daytona for free for as long as you can....can't beat that....

Like apples and oranges...from the landscape to the crowds...very different. I love them both but for different reasons.
Quote:
How does St. Pete Beach compare to Fort Lauderdale's beaches?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
Free is GOOD!! Take advantage of what your parents are giving you and then you can do a few trips to the areas you are asking about and see it yourself.

In this area and close to St. Pete's Beach, check out Gulfport.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Free is GOOD!! Take advantage of what your parents are giving you and then you can do a few trips to the areas you are asking about and see it yourself.

In this area and close to St. Pete's Beach, check out Gulfport.
I agree with "free is good." Take advantage of that.

St. Pete will definitely be more "laid back" and definitely WAAAAAAY cheaper than Ft. Lauderdale. The Tampa Bay area is a nice place to live. Ft. Lauderdale will be more fast-paced and expensive. Beaches on gulf side are calm (very few waves) with white sands and sunsets. Ocean side have more waves, darker sand and sunrises.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
$600 in Fort Lauderdale will have you in the worst crack town! for $600 you won't be close to any beaches in FL...
Stay in Daytona for free for as long as you can....can't beat that....

Like apples and oranges...from the landscape to the crowds...very different. I love them both but for different reasons.
what are the reasons? Why are they different?

I'm going to stay in Daytona Beach when i get there. I'm not exactly sure if I should look for an apartment first or a job first (where i want to live). Cuz if i want to live in St. Pete, that's a 3 hour commute.

or maybe save up enough money in Daytona (which means getting a job there) and then having enough money to move wherever for a little while without freaking out about a job?

this is all very exciting to me, as I'll be moving directly to the beach (like 10ft away from it) in Daytona Beach Shores, and then I can just take my time with everything. But i'd like to avoid some newbie mistakes if I could.

Can 600 get me in any good neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale, even if far away from the beach?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with "free is good." Take advantage of that.

St. Pete will definitely be more "laid back" and definitely WAAAAAAY cheaper than Ft. Lauderdale. The Tampa Bay area is a nice place to live. Ft. Lauderdale will be more fast-paced and expensive. Beaches on gulf side are calm (very few waves) with white sands and sunsets. Ocean side have more waves, darker sand and sunrises.

Good luck!
I'm thinking St. Pete is more up my alley. From the culture that I'm accustomed to, to the sunsets, which I prefer. Huge gay scene, too, if you combine the entire Tampa Bay area.

the thing is...

while in Daytona, should I look for a job first or an apartment in St. Pete first? If a job, that's a 3-hour commute. Or should I get a job in Daytona, save even more money than what i'll bring, and then land an apartment in St. Pete and THEN look for a job?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
$600 bucks is crack town/section 8 pretty much anywhere here, and in Fort Lauderdale is the same....just look on rent.com then take the zip codes and check for crime rates.

Regarding the beaches, everything is different from the crowds to the waves. The Gulf water is like a bath, with little action compared to the East Coast where you have much bigger waves from New Smyrna beach down to Miami.

I think you should live there "free" except utilities for a while, and then take some weekends to check out the places that are priced under $700 (if any)....to get a better idea as to what is in that price range, and what surrounds an area like that. Bar tending is not a career that affords an elevated lifestyle here. If you can escape rent for a while consider yourself lucky, and go to college and get into a money making career, otherwise you'll eventually become miserable once the realities of that income start setting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
what are the reasons? Why are they different?

I'm going to stay in Daytona Beach when i get there. I'm not exactly sure if I should look for an apartment first or a job first (where i want to live). Cuz if i want to live in St. Pete, that's a 3 hour commute.

or maybe save up enough money in Daytona (which means getting a job there) and then having enough money to move wherever for a little while without freaking out about a job?

this is all very exciting to me, as I'll be moving directly to the beach (like 10ft away from it) in Daytona Beach Shores, and then I can just take my time with everything. But i'd like to avoid some newbie mistakes if I could.

Can 600 get me in any good neighborhood in Fort Lauderdale, even if far away from the beach?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 18,687 times
If you are a laid back guy then St Pete may fit you best. Lauderdale is the big city compared to Daytona and St Pete. Daytona is a rough and tumble kind of place.
There is a growing gay community in St Pete and surrounding areas. Many are involved in new new businesses in the downtown area. Its much more quaint than a regular city.
The beaches are more beautiful here and the sunsets...well they are spectacular.
While you are doing the free thing in Daytona, spend a weekend in St Pete then another in Lauderdale. You will know when you are there what fits best.
About the 600dollar apartment.....it's going to be tough unless you get an efficiency. You can buy a condo and pay about the same.
Good luck . KimINflorida
Good luck. KimINflorida

Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM

I definitely have concluded St. Pete and the surrounding Tampa Bay area is the right fit for me. But I will explore FL for a weekend.

I'm so lookin forward to my move I can't even stand it anymore. It's just miserable, cold, rainy, and grey skies in Portland right now, with no end in sight.

But let it be known I'm not moving because of the weather, but to have a new experience in life, because you only live once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay