Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I did not lump anyone with anything...I asked "WHO" are they?
Yes you did, without making mention of conscientious objectors.

Quote:
Also, WHO, out of the available candidates etc do you think cares about that? I am just curious. I know my former country waited some 50 years before it was able to vote freely again...so it is kinda of a big deal.
Uh, I think all parties involved care a great deal about that, especially in hotly contested battleground states like FL. Think about it. Disillusioned conservatives who aren't happy with candidate offerings don't vote, which is basically (in this election) a vote for Obama. Disillusioned liberals who are sick of Obama's policies throw their votes away, which cuts the narrow lead down even further and opens up the possibility for Romney to capture FL's 29 electoral votes.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
19 million people call Florida: "Home", YET only 4 million bothered to VOTE? Shame on you!

I think you meant to say that 8 million voted. And according to the US Census for 2011, 21% of the 19 million are under the age of 18 and wouldn't be eligible to vote. That leaves approximately 15 million age-eligible voters and 8 million who voted, or a little over half. While that's not ideal, it could have been worse. Here's the Florida QuickFacts for anyone wanting to check the math --> http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12000.html

Edit: I was too slow to post as I see now that this has been covered. I have to get some work done...

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-07-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I posted this with no political slant, just providing the numbers without injecting my personal opinion. I wouldn't have posted the numbers if they didn't seem valuable to this community, including those here in the Tampa Bay and those looking to relocate.
Which is why I posted the hard links to (among others) the Supervisor of Elections for Hillsborough County that clearly shows the majority of registered voters is Democrat. The total turnout is up to almost 72%! It's the one right we have and I think anyone who can, should vote.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
City Data is primarily a relocation forum, that is why we have lots of general forums for discussion that are NOT related to the area. No advertising of any kind is allowed.

Now... this thread is about discussing voting in Tampa Bay area and NOT about all of Florida. If you want to discuss politics go to the Political forum.. This is about how many people voted in Tampa nothing else.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
That did not help. I felt like I needed to hire a lawyer to interpret them for me. Did u study "law slang" in all schools here? Just curious.
The St. Pete Times went over all the amendments pretty well in the weeks leading up to the election. They broke it down so even the "law slang" challenged(like me) could understand.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
No I did NOT. I asked if there were statistics regarding the rest of the 11 million who did not vote because I can assure being that this Florida, (and that the Tampa bay area has only a few million residents), and considering that there are quite a few illegals, and permanent residents who cannot vote, I was curious as to what the actual numbers of such categories were, to see if it evens out at all, or if all (minus kids) who did not vote just "didn't vote for the hell of it"! I didn't think it was out of laziness, but more so that, like you said, they didn't vote because they didn't see any candidate was worthy. In which case we should keep track of them too.

I think "assigning" these votes to the existing candidates is slightly wrong. Either you vote, or you don't. Otherwise how will we "really know" that they rightfully win or loose? All these little technicalities are not helping this mess at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Yes you did, without making mention of conscientious objectors.

That's almost 4 million ppl...still leaves us with 7 million who didn't vote.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I think you meant to say that 8 million voted. And according to the US Census for 2011, 21% of the 19 million are under the age of 18 and wouldn't be eligible to vote. That leaves approximately 15 million age-eligible voters and 8 million who voted, or a little over half. While that's not ideal, it could have been worse.
So, here's a question, did people in Hillsborough county had ballots different than Pinellas? what was the same for all on these ballots? or each state/county/city had different things to vote on? is this info available online somewhere?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM

205 posts, read 293,831 times
There is some voter apathy here, though there are likely also a lot of retirees that live here and are handicapped in some way and likely incapable of casting a vote, or just very old and don't really care (can't blame them for that). Also maybe some people are too transient to have registered here yet and must mail and absentee ballot to their former home location.

Still, happy to live in a county that might just know what it's doing after all.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Every city and/or county has different issues they vote on. Tampa may have a mayor's race to vote on or a county commisson seat might be vacant. You wouldn't necessarily have the same happening in Pinellas or St. Pete. State amendments are normally the same for everyone. There are a lot of people in the whole area and if you got 71% of registered voters that is good considering the lines and the weather.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Ok. Thanks for clarifying that. Also, how long before elections do the ballots get printed? In lieu of this article:
Dead candidates win elections in Florida, Alabama

Has this happened in Tampa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Every city and/or county has different issues they vote on. Tampa may have a mayor's race to vote on or a county commisson seat might be vacant. You wouldn't necessarily have the same happening in Pinellas or St. Pete. State amendments are normally the same for everyone. There are a lot of people in the whole area and if you got 71% of registered voters that is good considering the lines and the weather.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I had a hard time wrestling with amendments. The ones giving a tax break to spouses of veterans and senior citizens were particularly difficult for me to choose. My heart said, give them the break, but my brain said, both are already getting money from the government (be is Social Security, medical care, pensions, welfare, etc.) and Florida is not exactly bursting at the seams with revenue.

As much as I felt cruel by saying we can't afford to give tax cuts to people who have a great back story... I had to say no tax cuts. Why should the folks already getting government money get an additional tax break?
Uh, maybe they've earned their pensions (those who still have one), Social Security and Medicare. And maybe giving a break to the survivors of someone who put their ass on the line for you and paid the ultimate sacrifice is right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: