Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Little to offer?

World Class orchestra/symphony, yearly season of Broadway plays, biggest names in entertainment concerts, NHL, MLB, NFL teams, a month of spring training baseball in the area, a nice horse racing facility, a couple of major universities, nice aquarium and zoo, Busch Gardens, ample fishing, golfing, beaches, pretty decent restaurants in the area.

Yeah, second rate.
Yeah, those things are second rate to cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, ect, ect...

It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I like the part about all the "young professionals leaving in DROVES." LOL That gets parroted over and over by the malcontents here.
This story... Guest: Can Florida keep its graduates? | HeraldTribune.com

Shows that the last study (released in 2005) showed that nearly 50% of college graduates in Florida leave the state.

However, according to this story from 2009... College-educated population of Louisiana has declined, survey finds | NOLA.com

This shows that Florida has the 3rd highest amount of college graduates from other states moving in.

Is it weird that college graduates from Florida leave the state for better pay/cheaper living, while college graduates from other states move to Florida? Or does that lend more credibility to the thoughts that most employers in Florida will hire from out of state vs. actual residents?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Little to offer?

World Class orchestra/symphony, yearly season of Broadway plays, biggest names in entertainment concerts, NHL, MLB, NFL teams, a month of spring training baseball in the area, a nice horse racing facility, a couple of major universities, nice aquarium and zoo, Busch Gardens, ample fishing, golfing, beaches, pretty decent restaurants in the area.

Yeah, second rate.
Great post, BucFan.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Little to offer?

Yeah, second rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Yeah, those things are second rate to cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, ect, ect...

It is what it is.
I highlighted what might be second rate compared to the cities you mentioned. That is only because I don't know orchestra/symphony and broadway plays but the major league teams are in the same league as the cities mentioned so obviously not second rate, spring training Tampa Bay would obviously be first rate to the other cities second rate, the aquarium, zoo, fishing, golfing etc is on par if not better overall than the other cities mentioned

Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Played golf with a couple of guys from Chicago on Friday. I told them I pay $650/tix Bucs season tickets 15 rows up in the endzone. They pay $1500/tix for similar seats for Bears' games PLUS thousands of dollars for something called PSLs when their stadium was built to reserve the right to pay for season tickets every year, Just an example of the cost of living in/near big cities.

Would rather have the cost of living here in FLA.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Played golf with a couple of guys from Chicago on Friday. I told them I pay $650/tix Bucs season tickets 15 rows up in the endzone. They pay $1500/tix for similar seats for Bears' games PLUS thousands of dollars for something called PSLs when their stadium was built to reserve the right to pay for season tickets every year, Just an example of the cost of living in/near big cities.

Would rather have the cost of living here in FLA.
Of course Bucs tickets are cheaper, they can't sell out games! Most teams these days use PSL's, the Bucs even had a similar system, when the stadium was built in 1998, they charged season ticket holders an extra amount of money that would be refunded if they kept their tickets for a period of 10 years.

When I lived in Tennessee, I paid $250 per seat for my PSL's and my season tickets were never more than $400 each.

Of course, the pay in Chicago is a little more than it is in Tampa and the Bears have had consecutive sellouts for about 25 years, which is what would lead their tickets to be a bit more expensive.

The Bucs had a good stretch between 98-05 of having great crowds, prior to 98 and post Gruden, not so much..

Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
the point of my post was to demonstrate another reason why living in the area has its plusses over "the big city"

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
tampa's economy is actually losing steam. its worse than ever right now. know several educated, qualified people who have been layed off recently and have no prospects at all. They are leaving town as many other smart people i know have done over the past 6 months. this place is an economic wasteland

Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
tampa's economy is actually losing steam. its worse than ever right now. know several educated, qualified people who have been layed off recently and have no prospects at all. They are leaving town as many other smart people i know have done over the past 6 months. this place is an economic wasteland
The statistical data contradicts your anecdotal evidence.

Again, we are NOT all the way back. We are simply headed in the right direction....according to multiple economic indicators.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The statistical data contradicts your anecdotal evidence.

Again, we are NOT all the way back. We are simply headed in the right direction....according to multiple economic indicators.
clueless persepcitve not based in reality. as a younger educated professional that is plugged into whats going on locally things are clearly getting worse for educated, corporate type workers. especially for those 22-35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay