Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times

Advertisements

Physically (for me) wasn't really a big deal.........

It's the mental aspect of it.........after 10 years down here, I started to get annoyed when it is still above 80 with high humidity in December....

The summer starts early and is LONG, HOT, and EXTREMELY HUMID...that's a given. It's just that when I see the calander switch to October, November, and December.....I'm ready for summer to be over- but most years it isn't over until January.

Some people here will say that "it get's much better in October, ect..." but, I don't agree that 80+ with high humidity is "much better" than 90+ with extremely high humidity........

Usually- the biggest "relief" arrives in January and February........although, this year, we have been going weeks without a cold front reaching us down here (Tampa Bay area) which has allowed the winds to switch back to Southeast (high humidity) and the temps to exceed 80 degrees for weeks until the next cold front (hopefully) makes it all the way through.

I used to absolutely love the weather here.....I really did. However, after several years I started to wish for a 4 season year again.....at least then, the weather doesn't do any one thing for more than a few months at a time.

For me...it is the same as eating the exact same dinner (or suppah in Massachusetts) every night for 9 months, wathching the same movie every day for 9 months, or listening to the same song every day for 9 months..........it just gets old. What's the famous, old saying?....."everything in moderation"

Just think how much you would hate the New England winter if it was the same thing every day for 9+ months......

I have no doubt that if you move here...you will think it's paradise and really enjoy the weather (especially in Jan and Feb).........but, it is possible (after several years) to become "sick of" the extremely long, hot, humid extended summers......just as it is possible to become "sick of" the cold, icy winters of the Northeast.

There is, and has been a prevailing attitude with people who live in Florida......." anybody who puts up with the cold winters up north is crazy or stupid"........however, warm winter weather doesn't magically make life better......often times, the things we give up to have warm winters aren't obvious to us until we have lived down here for several or more years......

So, to answer your original question........I adjusted fairly quickly, and then slowly began to " un-adjust" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
I moved from Alaska. We move din the middle of summer. It didn't take us long to adjust to the weather because we had a pool. We use our pool a lot. In fact, I heated it up this weekend and turned off the heat last night since a cold front was coming in.

Living in the heat is almost like living in the cold. Instead of going from warm place to warm place, you go from A/C place to A/C place. But at least you get a chance to be outside in the evening.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Also keep in mind that the Gulf beaches experience water temps in the 90+ degree range from mid-summer to pretty much the end of hurricane season......so they are not that " refreshing" to swim in...

Swimming pools tend to be a couple degrees cooler than the Gulf beaches in the summer......so they are a much more "refreshing" way to cool off if need be.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM

294 posts, read 542,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Physically (for me) wasn't really a big deal.........

It's the mental aspect of it.........after 10 years down here, I started to get annoyed when it is still above 80 with high humidity in December....

The summer starts early and is LONG, HOT, and EXTREMELY HUMID...that's a given. It's just that when I see the calander switch to October, November, and December.....I'm ready for summer to be over- but most years it isn't over until January.

Some people here will say that "it get's much better in October, ect..." but, I don't agree that 80+ with high humidity is "much better" than 90+ with extremely high humidity........

Usually- the biggest "relief" arrives in January and February........although, this year, we have been going weeks without a cold front reaching us down here (Tampa Bay area) which has allowed the winds to switch back to Southeast (high humidity) and the temps to exceed 80 degrees for weeks until the next cold front (hopefully) makes it all the way through.

I used to absolutely love the weather here.....I really did. However, after several years I started to wish for a 4 season year again.....at least then, the weather doesn't do any one thing for more than a few months at a time.

For me...it is the same as eating the exact same dinner (or suppah in Massachusetts) every night for 9 months, wathching the same movie every day for 9 months, or listening to the same song every day for 9 months..........it just gets old. What's the famous, old saying?....."everything in moderation"

Just think how much you would hate the New England winter if it was the same thing every day for 9+ months......

I have no doubt that if you move here...you will think it's paradise and really enjoy the weather (especially in Jan and Feb).........but, it is possible (after several years) to become "sick of" the extremely long, hot, humid extended summers......just as it is possible to become "sick of" the cold, icy winters of the Northeast.

There is, and has been a prevailing attitude with people who live in Florida......." anybody who puts up with the cold winters up north is crazy or stupid"........however, warm winter weather doesn't magically make life better......often times, the things we give up to have warm winters aren't obvious to us until we have lived down here for several or more years......

So, to answer your original question........I adjusted fairly quickly, and then slowly began to " un-adjust" so to speak.
That makes sense...I can see where that would happen...I wonder if I make sure to visit each fall and winter if it would help with the adjustment?? I mean we have ALL of our family up here so it would be mainly just paying for airfare and a rental car to take a mini vaca to come home for a while...don't know if that would help or would it make us miss it up here...I mean like everyone says when you have these long winters you want out and fast (if you don't like cold and snow...which I don't) but then do you ironically end up missing it due to the never ending summer...I guess there is only one way of finding out...I THINK we will be okay like I said I only like the initial onset of fall due to the crazy hot summah' (lol) we get here but again we DON'T have a/c(aside of our bedroom), beach, and until last year we didn't have a pool...I was amazed at how much the pool helped us get through those heat waves...and honestly the start to fall is nice for a bit of a break we get from the heat, but then I hope for indian summer to heat us back up again and it never happens so then it only gives me anxiety because I know winter is right around the corner..it may 'technically' begin Dec 21st but the cold/snow doesn't follow with the calender we had a huge snow storm the week of Halloween 2011 and it knocked our power out for a week!! No heat, and had to stay with the in-laws .... -_-...and we had a ice storm of 08 that I lost power for over 2 weeks while 7 months pregnant with no where to go really because everyone was under the same conditions so I guess I will have to remind myself of those things if I ever 'get sick of the heat' lol

Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I moved from Alaska. We move din the middle of summer. It didn't take us long to adjust to the weather because we had a pool. We use our pool a lot. In fact, I heated it up this weekend and turned off the heat last night since a cold front was coming in.

Living in the heat is almost like living in the cold. Instead of going from warm place to warm place, you go from A/C place to A/C place. But at least you get a chance to be outside in the evening.
If you can adjust from living in Alaska temps I would like to think I can adjust coming from Mass. lol

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
It depends on your body weight! Seriously.

If you are thin, you would be OK in summer but easily feel cold in winter. I increased my heat tolerance a few degrees by simply shedding some weight . Remember that you won't see a nomad that is fat living in a desert--simple environmental adjustment mankind used before all this AC thingy....

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
And the best time to move to Florida is in August.....

Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
It depends on your body weight! Seriously.

If you are thin, you would be OK in summer but easily feel cold in winter. I increased my heat tolerance a few degrees by simply shedding some weight . Remember that you won't see a nomad that is fat living in a desert--simple environmental adjustment mankind used before all this AC thingy....
LOL!! Well I'm no pin thin super model but I am more on the skinny side..I guess I would say my body is relative to maybe...Britney Spears(only body type wise lol) little meat on my bones but not a heavy set woman

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
I never adjusted. I moved here from Philadelphia and the winters here are still way too cold for my taste.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I never adjusted. I moved here from Philadelphia and the winters here are still way too cold for my taste.
Love it!! hahaha I so hope I am like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay