Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM

166 posts, read 194,600 times

Advertisements

I give you a lot of credit and know that you will make it. I plan on moving to Clearwater, FL in 2 years but financially here in NJ and being on welfare, the move might come sooner and without a plan. So my move might be impulsive also. I worked as a secretary in a few of the local hospitals (New Brunswick) and kept getting bounced around due to budget cuts. When I turn 60, I can collect my pension and I think with a part time job in FL, I would make it also. Good luck! I really like the Clearwater area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,217 times
Decent area? Depends on what you are looking for - suburban sterile? (most of everything 3+ miles out from either downtown Tampa or St. Petersburg). Historic quarter (Ybor in Tampa or Kenwood in St. Pete)? Cool, but schools may be a problem (see last paragraph). Right now, you have to be an urban pioneer in Ybor or downtown Tampa (look for a big revitalization coming here as gas prices go through the roof). Kenwood in St. Pete is already restored, but there are no major employers nearby - you will be looking at a daily commute of 30-40 minutes to go 10 miles, crawling up and down I-275 in a glacier of automobiles to get to all the workplaces crammed into an area near the St. Pete airport. Florida is now unfortunately reaping the bad harvest of decades of urban planning dedicated to the concept of commuting, with developers always having got what they wanted. ("come on down...")

There are communities up the coast like Holiday where you can by beautiful 3-4 bedroom move-in-ready homes for $100,000, but other than a suburban shopping mall with only the basics, the nearest anything is always a 20+ mile drive away.

The big thing in Florida is that it is a state that grew up with the car, and everything developed around 'the car'. This worked as long as gas was under $1 a gallon. Believe me - once it goes up to $10-15 a gallon they are going to start tearing up acres of never-used parking spaces in front of those big malls and installing condos and offices on them so people can live and shop near where they work. THEN - maybe - metropolitan areas in Florida will start getting a personality and character.

And finally - if you have kids - schools. In general, they are a mess in Florida right now - fouled by internal political positioning and bickering, from the state-level on down. The good news for Hillsborough County (Tampa) is that in 2010 it got a Gates Foundation grant that fed it necessary money, but with strings attached. (gee whiz, an ego-inflated superintendent or administrator HAS to do what Bill Gates' foundation says - I'm sure they are squirming in their seats with steam coming out of their ears)... If you move here with school-age kids and expect them to go to public schools - I would visit the school personally -check what the realtor is telling you. Ask to visit a classroom while it is in session.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 58,082 times
I too would like to move to Tampa. I am in the same age range as the OP and I am also single. I currently reside in South Florida and I have been told that Tampa is a better fit for my personality and what I would need to do. I would like to live somewhere fairly close to the heat of action and can possibly allocate about $700 a month for rent. Would prefer bachelor digs that is above ground. I know that Tampa is a big area so I am undecided.
I've been advised to take an extended stay place so that I can move to another location in Tampa if need be without hampering lease agreements too much.
What would your suggestions be as where to stay? Where can I find listings of extended stay apartments/locations?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Uh, google.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1920&bih=973

Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
you want to leave S Fla? why? well, you might be Ok, here, less expensive but less pay as well , much quieter go on craigslist n just browse

Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
I too would like to move to Tampa. I am in the same age range as the OP and I am also single. I currently reside in South Florida and I have been told that Tampa is a better fit for my personality and what I would need to do. I would like to live somewhere fairly close to the heat of action and can possibly allocate about $700 a month for rent. Would prefer bachelor digs that is above ground. I know that Tampa is a big area so I am undecided.
I've been advised to take an extended stay place so that I can move to another location in Tampa if need be without hampering lease agreements too much.
What would your suggestions be as where to stay? Where can I find listings of extended stay apartments/locations?
For people in South Florida to tell you that Tampa is a better fit for your personality, you must be pretty dull..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay