Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 10,714 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I currently live in Richmond, VA and are considering moving to the Tampa area (more specifically somewhere in Pinellas Co.). I am a hair stylist and he is a jack of all trades. There is no other reason for us to move other than that we are adventurous and are ready for a change. We both absolutely HATE the winter and are complete beach bums. Why we haven't moved to a beach yet is beyond me. Anyway, Pinellas Co. is the front runner for a few choices. I have lived in FL before and I miss it, I just don't know much about Tampa Bay. We have a weimaraner (large dog) and a cat. We like to be able to utilize public transportation if need be, but do own a car. We are 26 years old, so would prefer to be in a lively area, but aren't really interested in downtown living.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods that would be fitting for people like us? We have visited Pinellas once in the last year and did a 'look-see' drive around, so I am kind of familiar with the different areas...but would like honest advice from someone who already lives there. We are very much can-do people, and tend to make due with very little at times. We know a move of this distance will not be easy, but that is part of the charm for us

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Not sure what you budget for housing is, or if you'd be renting or buying, but I think Gulfport sounds like a pretty good fit. There's pet friendly apartments on Boca Ciega Bay, and a small semi-lively downtown with a few restaurants and bars, along with art walks/fresh markets/festivals throughout the year. It's on Boca Ciega like I said, so it's beach living but their "beach" is better for the view and fishing than anything else. There's a walking trail that goes around a pond, and another park near the water down by O'Maddy's restaurant. It's close enough to downtown St. Pete for nightlife, and also a very short drive to St. Pete/Treasure Island/etc. beaches (10 min. or so) with good access to Ft. DeSoto and their pet friendly beach. That's more like a 25-30 min drive but really pretty and worth it in my opinion. We drove down there once a weekend for about 2 years when we lived in Gulfport.

Edit: Also has lots of bus stops, easy access to public transit.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

@druthb00 Thanks for the info! We would be renting, not buying. Hoping to stay under $800 per month. Although it seems to me that buying in the Tampa area seems to be a little cheaper than renting now. But yes, renting it will be for us. I really appreciate the positive feedback, I had read a few other topic threads of people looking to move to Tampa and it looks like most people only have negative things to say about people wanting to relocate there. Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnwells View Post
@druthb00 Thanks for the info! We would be renting, not buying. Hoping to stay under $800 per month. Although it seems to me that buying in the Tampa area seems to be a little cheaper than renting now. But yes, renting it will be for us. I really appreciate the positive feedback, I had read a few other topic threads of people looking to move to Tampa and it looks like most people only have negative things to say about people wanting to relocate there. Thanks again!
Well you'll be getting plenty of negative feedback before long...lol no, really, most (emphasis on the last word) people here are trying to help, even when they share negative opinions. The complex I mentioned above that's in Gulfport will set you back a bit more than $800, unless you're looking for something very very small (like 500 sq feet.) I think you'll find more housing in the area of $950 and up. One bedroom, 2 pets, 700 sq ft or more, that kinda thing. You might be able to find some decent one bedroom's for $800 but I had a really tough time. Our first apartment down here, in a not-so-nice area, was 560 sq ft. and it was $800/mo. We ended up gone in 3 months and upped our budget to $1100, but it was bayfront with a balcony in a much better area. Best of luck with your new adventure.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Well you'll be getting plenty of negative feedback before long...lol no, really, most (emphasis on the last word) people here are trying to help, even when they share negative opinions. The complex I mentioned above that's in Gulfport will set you back a bit more than $800, unless you're looking for something very very small (like 500 sq feet.) I think you'll find more housing in the area of $950 and up. One bedroom, 2 pets, 700 sq ft or more, that kinda thing. You might be able to find some decent one bedroom's for $800 but I had a really tough time. Our first apartment down here, in a not-so-nice area, was 560 sq ft. and it was $800/mo. We ended up gone in 3 months and upped our budget to $1100, but it was bayfront with a balcony in a much better area. Best of luck with your new adventure.
I have been browsing the interwebs and have found several duplexes and apartments in the Gulfport/Gateway neighborhoods for well under $800. Granted, they are mostly 1Br's 700 sq ft and under, but thats all we need. We are people of little requirement. Small spaces and even not-so-great neighborhoods don't bother us. We don't need a whole lot. While I understand that each and every place has it ups and downs, ins and outs, in a lot of the threads it seemed to me that people weren't only offering helpful advice deterring people from moving to the area, but almost rude suggestions. But, as with many beautiful/highly desired areas, you'll have your fair share of the people that don't like the "come-here's". Anywho, thanks again for your feedback

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnwells View Post
My boyfriend and I currently live in Richmond, VA and are considering moving to the Tampa area (more specifically somewhere in Pinellas Co.). I am a hair stylist and he is a jack of all trades. There is no other reason for us to move other than that we are adventurous and are ready for a change. We both absolutely HATE the winter and are complete beach bums. Why we haven't moved to a beach yet is beyond me. Anyway, Pinellas Co. is the front runner for a few choices. I have lived in FL before and I miss it, I just don't know much about Tampa Bay. We have a weimaraner (large dog) and a cat. We like to be able to utilize public transportation if need be, but do own a car. We are 26 years old, so would prefer to be in a lively area, but aren't really interested in downtown living.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods that would be fitting for people like us? We have visited Pinellas once in the last year and did a 'look-see' drive around, so I am kind of familiar with the different areas...but would like honest advice from someone who already lives there. We are very much can-do people, and tend to make due with very little at times. We know a move of this distance will not be easy, but that is part of the charm for us

Thanks for any help!
A few thoughts:

1. Downtown St. Pete is the only neighborhood in Pinellas that's lively year round. Think about whether you're OK driving to nightlife, and, if so, how far. Stick within that radius from downtown.
2. Downtown feels a lot smaller and more laid back than downtown Richmond. Not sure if that impacts not wanting "downtown living."
3. If you like the Fan, aim for the Old Northeast neighborhood, maybe near the Old Northeast Tavern (2nd St N at 7th Ave N). Crescent Lake or Uptown are also good alternatives.
4. If you'd prefer to live among strip malls and drive 15ish minutes to fun, check out Gateway. There are some nice complexes there. Kind of the Glen Allen/west end equivalent here, at least in terms of apt complexes and strip malls.
5. Gulfport is very small and, other than some Stetson Law students, not many 20-somethings there. The downtown is pleasant, but assume you'll be going downtown for fun a lot, and think about whether Gulfport is close enough.
6. Grand Central (a restaurant/nightlife district on Central just west of 275) seems to be getting better, and Kenwood (the neighborhood just north of it) is cheap. Not as nice as downtown and adjacent neighborhoods. Fairly small, and you'll still be going downtown a lot. Significant gay population there, if that matters to you.
7. Only public transportation are busses and cabs. Significant bus interchange at Williams Park downtown. Cabs usually aren't too hard to find downtown.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
I like Gulfport but don't live there. I am in Pinellas county and I think Gulfport would be a good fit for you. There is a growing bar scene, a place called O'Matties is a cool beach bar hang-out and the new place next door to it is very dog friendly. Gulfport is a bit like Key West. Nice feel and very laid back. If you have a bike, bring it. The beaches are not far from Gulfport and there are some cool dogparks in the area.

Sometimes if you are lucky, you can find a 'suddenly empty' apt on Treasure Island or St. Pete Beach, all in the timing. Maderia beach is good too.

Anyway, good luck! I used to live in the Tidewater and don't miss winter at all!!! :-)

Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
st pete so you can try to have some social life,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay