Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I am planning to take behind the wheel test at the Martin Luther Blvd office. I have appointment this friday at 1.45 p.m. How much time will it usually take for waiting and then finishing the test? I have an important appointment to catch at 3.00 pm at closeby location.

Appreciate your replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,031 times
I was still wearing turquoise when I last took a drivers test but I would think you would want nothing important to do afterwards. You will probably want to be relaxed and pressure free, last thing you want to be doing is thinking about that appointment at 300pm while banging a U'ey.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
The "behind the wheel" test takes like 5 minutes, its not like in other countries where they take you on highways, you'll be circling inside their parking lot...its the waiting to call your name that might take longer depending on how many people they booked at the same time they booked you. But I wouldn't book another appointment afterwards either.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 AM

Its not like other countries? You will do circle in a parking lot? Are you serious! When I took my drivers test is what on the street and there were several things you had to achieve like a 3pt turn, parallel parking, merging into traffic, etc.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Its not like other countries? You will do circle in a parking lot? Are you serious! When I took my drivers test is what on the street and there were several things you had to achieve like a 3pt turn, parallel parking, merging into traffic, etc.
I see you're in Germany, have you taken the driving exam there yet? I took one in Japan, and it was the hardest.

In Florida I took the writing test online, 5 minutes, and then went to DMV and the cop lady had me drive a circle in the back parking lot. THAT was IT. It took 5 minutes.

What state? and when did you get your license in US? In Florida the driving exam is a joke. Did you know that here they send you to driving school after an accident? LOL That is hilarious.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:51 AM

I have to agree, that is a joke. The purpose of a drivers class is to prevent an accident.

I took the written exam in Germany and it was very difficult, 100 questions and many required a strong knowledge of proper procedures on the road. The driving test itself I did not have to take but I have German friends who dread it. Its also not cheap, from start to finish a German driving license can cost well over 3000 Euro, it is seen as a privilege to be valued not a right to be abused. Thats about as much as I want to talk about Germany on this forum though.

I took my drivers test in 1987 (hence the turquoise statement above) in NY. It was very thorough and required a drivers class, permit and finally a written and drivers exam.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:52 AM

Oh and I took my test in my brothers 1978 Toyota Celica, 5 spd with no power steering. Fun parallel parking!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I have to agree, that is a joke. The purpose of a drivers class is to prevent an accident.

I took the written exam in Germany and it was very difficult, 100 questions and many required a strong knowledge of proper procedures on the road. The driving test itself I did not have to take but I have German friends who dread it. Its also not cheap, from start to finish a German driving license can cost well over 3000 Euro, it is seen as a privilege to be valued not a right to be abused. Thats about as much as I want to talk about Germany on this forum though.

I took my drivers test in 1987 (hence the turquoise statement above) in NY. It was very thorough and required a drivers class, permit and finally a written and drivers exam.
HA! That was a long time ago. In Florida a monkey can get a drivers license and I wish I was kidding. I think you should get your license again here in FL just for fun! You won't believe what a joke it is. In Canada people don't pass the driving exam if they don't speed up on a ramp to meet hwy speeds, on Veterans, Turpike etc, they use the entries to smoke, and have no clue how to merge. Its hysterical. You'll see soon enough. Thankfully in Germany they have enough PT to not need a license.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The "behind the wheel" test takes like 5 minutes, its not like in other countries where they take you on highways, you'll be circling inside their parking lot...its the waiting to call your name that might take longer depending on how many people they booked at the same time they booked you. But I wouldn't book another appointment afterwards either.
It's not like other STATES!! My driving test in NC was very thorough back in the mid 80's. I assume it's still the same.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
It's not like other STATES!! My driving test in NC was very thorough back in the mid 80's. I assume it's still the same.
I would hope that other states take it more seriously. Florida however is a major joke. (Then people wonder how come the drivers are the way they are here). Someone had a sticker on their car a few days ago reading: "The closer you get, the slower I go". My guess is that this person was entirely unaware of traffic laws, he was going much slower than the speed limit posted, and was also unaware that "driving" is a privileged and not a right, aside from being a total jerk. These people, with these antics, are the ones causing accidents. Those who respect and understand the law, and actually take the time to study it don't cause accidents, those become victims. DMV or whomever has power over this, should really reconsider the way driver licenses are given here, and cops really need to enforce ALL traffic laws and not just speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay