Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 PM

49 posts, read 128,944 times

Advertisements

Has anyone purchased this water system or got taken by the salesman? We just had a demonstration of the benefits of this product, and it looks great. But I'm a little hesitant and want to know if any readers can share their experiences. They want $7000 for a whole house system but not sure if truly worth it or just another gimmick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
Is your water that bad? I'd imagine there are lots of alternatives that don't cost nearly as much. At our old house my wife had some company give us a demo and they wanted $5K for a system. I had our water tested and it tested fine, just had a funny taste and had a strange feel when taking a shower. I installed a whole-house filter myself with a carbon filter cartridge and a regular filter cartridge for under $200 and it got rid of those two problems.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 PM

Our water is real bad and was clearly evident when shown in comparison during the demonstration. I knew I wanted to get a water softener sooner than later, but when seeing all the crap that's in our water, and what this system truly filters out, I felt this would do more than just a water softener. It seems like it's a great product. However, $7k is $7k and not having much knowledge in the area, I feel vulnerable.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,827,984 times
Get the water tested independently and see how it comes out. That's what I did. Check into some local water treatment companies, you may get a better solution that way.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 PM

thanks TechGuy. Good advice. I think I'll do some calling around tomorrow and try to set something up over the weekend.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
The GE system is a good system but worth nowhere near $7000. Your best bet would be to get a Fleck unit for around $450 and then get a reverse osmosis system, about $350 for a really good system, for drinking water which can be installed under the kitchen sink.
You may have more yearly costs with filters and salt for these systems than the GE but it would be nowhere near a $6200 difference between the 2.
Now if you are in an old farming area and have well water with arsenic in it then that is another story, a good arsenic whole house filter can run upwards of $2000.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 AM

235 posts, read 1,578,679 times
I agree with what HWTechguy said, call around.. I assume you are on well water..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 AM

697 posts, read 1,170,611 times
Look on Amazon for iSpring. A very good RO system for a great price (direct to consumer). I just installed mine for $169

Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 AM

235 posts, read 1,578,679 times
Just to let everyone know R O units are great for removing everything from the water. The biggest issue I have with them is that it removed Everything thing from the water whether it is good or bad for you, I call it 99 percent wet.. It also takes about 3 gallons of water to make one gallon. And never put that water back in copper pipes.. this is from Wikipedia:

Household reverse osmosis units use a lot of water because they have low back pressure. As a result, they recover only 5 to 15 percent of the water entering the system. The remainder is discharged as waste water. Because waste water carries with it the rejected contaminants, methods to recover this water are not practical for household systems. Wastewater is typically connected to the house drains and will add to the load on the household septic system. An RO unit delivering 5 gallons of treated water per day may discharge anywhere between 20 and 90 gallons of waste water per day.[10]
Large-scale industrial/municipal systems have a production efficiency typically 75% to 80%, or as high as 90%, because they can generate the high pressure needed for more efficient reverse osmosis filtration. On the other hand, as efficiency of waste-water rates increases in commercial operations effective removal rates tend to become reduced, as evidenced by total dissolved solids (TDS) counts.
Due to its fine membrane construction, reverse osmosis not only removes harmful contaminants that may be present in the water, it also strips many of the good, healthy minerals from the water. A number of peer-reviewed studies have looked at the long term health effects of drinking demineralized water.[11] However, demineralized water can be remineralized and this process has been done in instances when processing demineralized water for consumption. An example of this process is Dasani, which adds sodium chloride (salt) and potassium chloride (salt) to its water for "taste," according to the company

If you have an RO, it is very important to change the pre and post filters as recommended by the manufacturer which is normally 6 months

Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 18,214 times
I bought the GE Avantapure model 269 upflow conditioner in may 2012 from WATER EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGIES, IN lONGWOOD, fl.

I am mostly satisfied, however I did go through a process.

1) A very good sales spiel had me convinced that I was getting a good deal at $5700.00, because I got discounts for having served in the military, being willing to advertise their product, "and just being a nice guy". And they just happened to have one in the neighborhood that someone cancelled which they could install the same day.

2) The next day (after it was already installed) my brain woke up and I thought what did I just do. Friends made me aware of a Fl. consumer protection law that allowed me to cancel my contract, so I drove to the company office, (very unprofessional dreary looking place) and told them I wanted to enforce my right to cancel my contract. They offered me a $3500.00 price, which I accepted.

So this is the deal I finally wound up with.

1) $3500.00 interest free loan for one year.
2) Many years supply of soaps, cleaners, dishwasher detergent, etc. which I am happy with.
3) I have great tasting water. However, I have to admit that I do not really know how pure my water is, but it starts out as city water from Cocoa, Fl.
4) It has worked fine for the last 2 years, and my only cost is salt, about $10.00 a year.
5) the one time I called for service they did respond quickly. I think they are trying, but
If you buy from this company bargain hard.

Last edited by soled; 04-08-2014 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay