Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 18,134 times

Advertisements

I'm driving down to Tampa this weekend to scope out some places for our move on August 15th. I have never been to Florida, but I've already got Bucs tickets and everything, so I am taking it in full stride. The only thing is I do not know where to start!

I really like the Channelside district. It's right outside downtown Tampa, close to nightlife, and seems to have a lot going on. However, I am not there. I could be way off. I know there are a lot of recently developed and developing residential communities (Pierhouse, Bell, Element, The Place), but I'm afraid online isn't showing me all the living opportunities in Channelside. I'm on a 1400-1500 dollar budget and would like at least a 2 bedroom apartment or 1 bedroom with a den.

Downtown Tampa is also intriguing. The wife and I like to be in the middle of it all. We live in downtown OKC currently and don't want to get any less "urban" then we are right now. OKC actually has seen a surge in urban density over the last 5 years, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to Tampa, but then again I really don't know as I haven't been there. I haven't came across too many residentials in downtown through Trulia, Apartment Guide, or anyother online realtor. Mostly cookie cutter housing through these websites. If anyone might be able to post some ideas or really nice places in these districts, please do! I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,616,751 times
Our downtown is dead by all accounts. When you visit, please visit it after business hours, including Channelside. You'd be better off in St. Pete.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,995,507 times
Channelside pretty much is in downtown. There are a couple nightlife options in the downtown core, but most nightlife is either west in Hyde Park or northeast in Ybor.

Currently nothing much goes on in downtown besides a 9-5 presence, but it's trying to be improved.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,216,899 times
What area will your job be located? I think Jsun556 has it right that Hyde Park or So Ho would be a better option since you can walk to cafes and restaurants.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM

I'll be working at MacDill AFB. How far is Hyde Park or So Ho from downtown? I just checked out some places in downtown St. Pete as well. Looks nice I'm just worried the commute might be bad during rush hours.

Didn't expect to hear that about the state of downtown Tampa. How long has it been like this?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,901,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell View Post
I've already got Bucs tickets and everything, so I am taking it in full stride.
They sold to you? Out of State?

I've tried to buy tickets for years and they continue to claim that it's not their policy to sell tickets to anyone outside of the State of Florida..

Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,432,200 times
Channelside is pretty cool, but you probably don't want to live in Downtown Tampa.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM

35,721 posts, read 21,087,398 times
Downtown is NOt ready for too much yet,,, they working on it, try Westshore area off Gandy and Hyde Park etc. any traffic headed to the base is hard but too far away like St pete can be a nightmare if there is ONE accident on any major roadway into Tampa. I moved from pinellas back to Hillsborough closer to work.. Can't tell you how many times I was late.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,616,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell View Post
How long has it been like this?
Since forever! They tried to up it during the housing boom but once trump pulled out it went back to being a ghost town! The demograhics down there are so different that its hard to come up with something that would stick.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
They sold to you? Out of State?

I've tried to buy tickets for years and they continue to claim that it's not their policy to sell tickets to anyone outside of the State of Florida..
Yeah, it was no problem. I bought them over the phone but it originated with me speaking to an agent over a live chat via the Bucs TicketMaster page. Maybe since they were season tickets it makes a difference than single game tickets?

Westshore and Hyde Park? Are these places spread out or dense? Walkability is on our wishlist, but if we have to I see lots of cheap chinese mopeds on the Tampa craigslist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay