Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,910,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell View Post
Yeah, it was no problem. I bought them over the phone but it originated with me speaking to an agent over a live chat via the Bucs TicketMaster page. Maybe since they were season tickets it makes a difference than single game tickets?
Maybe they've changed their policy.. Last season the ticket rep told me that there has been a ban on selling tickets outside of the state of Florida since the late 1990's due to other teams fans buying them all up and invading the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM

443 posts, read 560,081 times
Tampa's downtown is a dead zone. You really should drive around a bit and check out the area before you get your hopes up about Channelside or downtown locations. There really is no hip happening spot in Tampa. It's spread out to the point where you need a car to do anything.

Personally, if I were in the market for an apartment rental I'd look in downtown or NE St. Pete. I also like Rocky Point, but more for the tranquility than the nightlife.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:07 PM

99 posts, read 146,872 times
Anyone who continues to state that Downtown is dead after 5pm, is completely off base. Certainly there is a huge drop off in pedestrian traffic and traffic overall, but it's certainly not "dead". Of course there are caveats here, for example if it's pouring rain and storming, obviously it's going to look much more dead, than when it's nice outside.

It just takes someone to drive around the two towers (SkyPoint and Element), both of which are full of ground floor retail and where the majority of the activity is centered around. Curtis Hixon Park always has a good amount of people in it, 'till dusk or it closes and there is typically some event of some type going on.

Essentially, your main downtown after 5/6pm is bounded by Curtis Hixon Park/Ashley Dr., Cass St./Polk St., Franklin St., and Madison St./Kennedy Blvd. That is where the downtown residents are, thus where the majority of the restaurants and retail are going to be 'busy' as well. Now I do agree that the rest of downtown is dead after 5pm, in large part because you either have many buildings next to each other with no ground floor services, as well as 0 residents.

---
Channelside, the district, not the entertainment plaza (if you can still call it that), is up and coming. It's by far the most dense and urban area in the greater downtown area, and it much more homely feeling, than say Skypoint and Element. You have everything from a huge Powerhouse Gym, to a local bakery, gas station, Street Car access and a good selection of restaurants and small local parks as well. There are currently two projects in the works, both have been approved by City Council, one the Martin 24 stories, should bring in a 2 story grocery store, presumably Publix as well. The other 23 story SkyHouse, will also have ground floor retail, meaning more restaurants and services. Not to mention the people they will both bring in. Channelside is by far the most walkable urban neighborhood in the Tampa area, outside of perhaps SoHo. *Note stay away from Bell or Seaport Channelside, it is basically a college dorm for UT students.

--------

The others, as some pointed out are either Westshore or SoHo/South Hyde Park. Westshore is not pedestrian friendly in the least, but it by and large the epicenter of activity in Tampa. Containing both malls and a plethora of upper end restaurants to boot. Not to mention you are a stones throw away from TPA and RayJay (Bucs Stadium) and would be in a location of one of the (future) mass transit hubs, albeit that is some 20 years off, if not more.

SoHo is very much walkable, if you live close to Howard Ave, otherwise it's not walkable at all and not very urban in design.

**Oh and I live in downtown, so there may or may not be some bias here.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,319 times
Actually there is more and more going on in downtown, depending on what you are looking for. For example, this past holiday weekend - two nights of fireworks, two days of Red Bull Wake Open, free concerts. There are always free concerts going on in the parks. The Riverwalk and Bayshore are great biking, walking, jogging linear paths. There are 130 restaurants, with over 60 of them open for dinner and beyond. Lots of coffee houses/bakeries. Watering holes... Fly, Anise Gastro Bar, Taps, Sail Pavilion, Malio's, Kenny's Sports Bar, Gilligans, Hattrick's, Paddywagon's, Crumb and Cork (jazz, wine, cheese kind of place) opening in the next couple weeks. Next year two new hotels are coming on line and they will have hip, upscale bars/restaurants. Then you have the Straz and Stageworks theaters, Tampa Theatre, 8-9 museums/aquarium, paddleboard rentals, electric boat rentals. dinner cruises, Yoga in the Park, gyms, etc. I am probably bias too, as I live on Harbour Island and work in downtown.

Your price range will put you more toward south part of South Tampa. Check out the new Pierhouse residential unit in Channel District though (brand new) and/or Bell Channelside (formerly Seaport). They might be more in your range.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,000,536 times
I really wish there would be more ownership options for downtown living. Currently the majority except for 1 or 2 buildings is for renting only.

Even the new tower going up by Straz and the library will be rentals... wtf? Don't they realize there are people that want to BUY??????

Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 913 times
I moved from NY to Tampa 2 years ago, and I love it! I first rented at Post in Hyde Park. It is a great area, walking distance to everything. No way you'll be disappointed. Now I live in the Channel District in Grand Central at Kennedy. Lots is going on in this area. I love that is quite on a regular basis, yet restaurants and bars you can walk to, access to the Port of Tampa, the Riverwalk, Tampa Convention Center, Downtown, and more, interesting activities like Flicks and Food Trucks every month, all within walking distance. The trolly takes you to Historic Ibor City in minutes to wonderful restaurants, bars, live music. Channelside is a high-end, up and coming area.

Hyde Park is another wonderful area. I loved the Post Properties location in Hyde Park. There's more movement here than the Channel District. You can contact Laura at 813-254-2799, she's the manager on site. She helped me settle in my apartment when I relocated from NY. You can mentioned my name if you want, she'll know. The one thing to be aware is to ask for a quite building. The apartments on Platt St. can be noisy as there is a small night club next to it. Also, by the pools can be noisy depending on the holiday if you sleep during the day.

From Hyde Park you can drive down Bayshore Blv along the bay to McDill AFB. It is a breathtaking view for an everyday commute.

Westshore is within minutes driving. It is more spread out. You'll find restaurants, shops, hotels, building offices, malls, close to the airport. There are a lot more single family houses in the residential areas. Some parts of Westshore you can walk but I find it to be better accessible by car.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to call me 813-444-2576. Yara

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,029,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Don't they realize there are people that want to BUY??????
Actually, they're aware that no one wants to buy after their attempt to turn every apartment complex into a townhouse complex.

And, as far as Downtown not being dead after five, well... You get the same options everyone here is talking about in every other part of Tampa also. There's retail, restaurants, and bars in every part of Tampa, and none of them are "hopping" parts of town either. Hyde Park is your best bet, and it's closer to the base than downtown is.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,405,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell View Post

Downtown Tampa is also intriguing. The wife and I like to be in the middle of it all. We live in downtown OKC currently and don't want to get any less "urban" then we are right now. OKC actually has seen a surge in urban density over the last 5 years, but I'm sure it doesn't compare to Tampa, but then again I really don't know as I haven't been there.
The downtown Tampa core is made up entirely of office buildings and at around 6pm every evening every one goes home leaving the downtown core a ghost town, nothing open,no restaurants,no reason to be there at all other than the occasional event at the arena. ....
Some may disagree with this description. write back and let us know what you think.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,000,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Actually, they're aware that no one wants to buy after their attempt to turn every apartment complex into a townhouse complex.
That's because those conversions are low/rental quality. Nobody who is smart wanted to buy a conversion and those who did are regretting it due to paper thin walls and low build quality.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM

35,773 posts, read 21,143,565 times
baby steps... baby steps... but we getting there, saw the sign on Boyscout building today- the corner of Lois and BS... across from the mall- it is apts,,, though they said business offices. Lois and Spruce probably by next year have apts there as well if not sooner.. see the cranes.. n dump trucks/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay