Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM

451 posts, read 933,826 times

Advertisements

Also, here's a list of the top 2000 high schools in the United States, with Plant High in South Tampa in the top 400, the highest in the Tampa Bay:
2013 America's Best High Schools - Newsweek

Plant High is 7% black and 18% hispanic, which is about as diverse as you'll find in South Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:26 PM

10 posts, read 12,481 times
Thank you everyone, I have taken all of this into consideration, to include my original post. When I saw all the views without any replies, I realized that I shouldn't have been so blunt in my email, and I could have easily summed it up with a request of "culturally diverse area" or "diverse area" that would have been better received than my original posting, but my 90 minutes had past and I couldn't edit (I even reached out to the Administrator to change it with no such luck). I just want the best for my kids and want them to have the best and most positive experience possible. I REALLY appreciate all of you for looking deeper and choosing to provide a response. Right now, Lutz and Wesley Chapel are at the top of my list of places to visit when I come down for my house hunting trip and I believe New Tampa (33647 zip code I believe). A few folks have recommended Brandon and Valrico, and I had people recommend that we stay away from Valrico for some reason. This site and many other posts have been a wealth of infomation and I'm greatful for those who take the time to provide insight, suggestions, and recommendations. Right now my report date is in limbo until funding is approved for the government. I have noticed that rental homes in the better areas w/ great schools don't last long...

Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
MacDillbound- don't worry about it. I'm white, but my husband is half Indian and I worried too when we move to a new neighborhood about how we'd be accepted. We live in New Tampa (33647) and we've had zero issues fitting in and the neighborhood is very diverse. I think you'd be fine pretty much anywhere in S. Tampa, Lutz, Wesley Chapel, Brandon, Fishhawk or New Tampa. Just make sure the schools have a high rating on greatschools.org.

Tampa is very racially mixed (at least for me coming from the midwest) so it would be unlikely that you would move to a very racist area close to Tampa. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Plant High is 7% black and 18% hispanic, which is about as diverse as you'll find in South Tampa.
Not at all. Robinson High School is more diverse than Plant. It is 45% white, 25% Hispanic, 14% black, and 9% Asian.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
here race is NOT a huge problem its more like the groupings.. IE- the seniors, vs the youth vs the younger college crowds vs the preppys etc.. and who would be more comfortable where. My grands had a hard time in Pinnellas county... all the neighbors were retirees, so none to play dolls with, I couldnt handle the drive from Clearwater to Tampa, as one mentioned crazy drivers and Oct 15 to April 15 the snow birds come and flock together. So seems young families went north. Now are there problems yes, not paradise, not a town and not yet a city,,, but Disney is 1.45 hrs away!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Welcome! Have you considered South Tampa at all? It is directly proximal to MacDill, features the top-rated school system in the region, a low crime rate and one of the highest standards of living in the bay (walkability, shopping, restaurants, close to downtown/airport). The downside is the price, in that you'll get a smaller home for a higher price than you would elsewhere.

If you don't mind a smaller 3-bedroom rental home or a townhome, and you don't mind paying between $1750 and $2000, you could expect comfortable living in the area. In terms of proximity to MacDill, the ratings of the local school district, entertainment amenities and safe living, it really can't be beat in the bay area.

(note that there are pockets of South Tampa that are less desirable and more prone to crime, but a drive around town should give you solid bearings on where to rent and where to avoid. If possible, try to stay south of Kennedy and north of Gandy)

Also, a family of color should feel safe and welcome here. The area is predominantly white, but it should feel quite similar to the upscale and accepting neighborhoods you're used to.
thethinktank, no I haven't looked into that area due to the price. Hubby won't be working for a couple months until we get everyone used to our new surroundings. But thanks for the information. We plan on purchasing within the year so we will keep that in mind. Now that the budget has passed we are finally moving forward and will be residence at the end of next month.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Default Update

Now that the budget has passed, we can finally get out of the arctic weather and head toward the sunshine! We will be down in a couple weeks to house hunt. We've narrowed down to Wesley Chapel, Lutz - 33558, 33647 zip code, and the Panther Trace area of Riverview. We have a realtor that will be showing us around once we get there, and we plan on driving around neighborhoods to see if there are signs out that may not have been online too.

The plan is to drive the commute from each location while there to truly get an idea of what to expect from the traffic. For those looking in the future, I found great resources from this site, military by owner site, schooldigger dot com, great schools site, the state education site, and each county's school locator site to verify assigned school based on your address. For other DOD employees, there is a DOD housing network site that has A lot of properties on it as well.

I appreciate everyone's input, it has helped a great deal!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM

75 posts, read 226,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDillbound View Post
thethinktank, no I haven't looked into that area due to the price. Hubby won't be working for a couple months until we get everyone used to our new surroundings. But thanks for the information. We plan on purchasing within the year so we will keep that in mind. Now that the budget has passed we are finally moving forward and will be residence at the end of next month.
How did the move go? Can you tell us where you ended up and what you think so far (especially those of us considering a move from a distant land)?

Mahalo!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Smile Finally Settled In :)

Hello All!

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. So after researching from October to February, we are now Floridians!!!! We have been here for a little over 2 1/2 months now and we are loving life! We ended up in Land O Lakes (Pasco County)which is about 40-45 minute from MacDill. I take the Vets Express in the morning and coming home can be anywhere from 55-90 minutes depending on if I leave work on time, and traffic. I found a couple different routes home, and again, the time I leave work dictates which route I take. We chose LOL because of the housing inventory and school rating, reviews, and past 5 years of performance. Oakstead Elementary School has restored our faith in the public school system. From the principal down to the traffic directors, they have it figured out. The kids love the school (not just mine, but the OES students are happy), the teachers have the passion, expertise, and the entire staff has the "it takes a village to raise a child" concept.

This change in environment has been one of the best decisions our family has made. I'm glad they selected me for the position. Despite my initial fears on this post, I have experience absolutely NO prejudice or racism of any kind. We have actually been caught off guard by the different ranges of folks who would go out of their way to speak or comment on how well behaved our children are. Honestly, one thing my husband and I have noticed being in this area is that people are happy and very friendly/neighborly. Very neighborly in a lot of areas. Neighbors get together, have drinks, let the kids play, and enjoy life. There are less grumpy people down here...or so it seems. We are currently in love bug season which is pretty annoying. In addition to being annoyed with love bugs, I see why Floridians can't wait for spring breakers and snow birds to leave. They highly disrupt traffic and increases commute time.

I already hate wearing socks, my family is more active, and kind of felt a little guilty when we were at the beach or pool (heated) back in March. As a woman, I was more of a jeans and sneakers lady, but I definitely see why dresses are worn daily by women.

So, to sum it up. If you have grade school aged children, look into Pasco County Schools, or the cities of Lutz, Land O Land, or Wesley Chapel areas. I love the area, and the distance away from the hustle and bustle of Tampa. The toll roads are a wonderful convenience. Just get the SunPass and it up each pay day and set the reload to $25.00 and enjoy. Dale Mabry is best early morning or late night. I try to avoid it unless I have to go to Lowes, Sams, or a restaurant. That's another thread too, we have found some wonderful restaurants. We ate out the first 29 days.

I will make sure to keep an eye out on this thread again now that I am settled here. Hopefully this helps someone else looking to make the move.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM

14 posts, read 14,490 times
We are planning a relocation; we are looking at Lutz by St. Joe's North hospital. I am concerned that Lutz is a little "too" far away. I will be commuting to work by TIA. Would love your thoughts on the area; especially traffic on the Veterans Expressway.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay