Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,457,364 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here about 5 1/2 years ago, and still have not had a Cuban sandwich! I know they are extremely popular here, a staple sandwich it seems. I love how different areas, different sandwiches are so popular. I never even heard of a Cuban sandwich until I moved here! (I grew up in MA and the staple sandwich up there is a fluffernutter, which I got heads turning at me when I was eating it a few times. (it is peanut butter and marshmallow fluff)

I am a picky eater so that is why I guess for myself I wasn't interested and also not a fan of roast beef. My hubby though, not sure why he hasn't tried one yet.

I did a little googling and it seems that ham, roast beef, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard seem to be the most popular ingredients. Is that typical of a cuban? I know of course I can get it w/o roast beef but does that take away the essence of the sandwich? Or do some places typically make it w/o roast beef?

Where are some suggestions to get a good cuban? I'm located in New Tampa. Would like to avoid Ybor if possible, (at least on a Sat night just to get a sandwich!) I heard that is where it was invented.

Any information you guys have would be really helpful!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,638,735 times
It's on the crappy side of town, but worth a visit.

Brocato's Sandwich Shop | A Tampa Tradition Since 1948

Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 PM

30,551 posts, read 21,457,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

There were great back in the 80's.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM

6,625 posts, read 5,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post

Second that, I went there for the deviled crabs but apparently I don't care for deviled crabs which sounds a lot better than what they taste like. They do make an awesome Cuban which by the way no roast beef, roast pork and that is the big difference between sandwiches whether it's real roast pork that's hand shredded or what would be better called fresh ham which is what publix or a low end sandwich place would use, sometimes it's chilled roast pork so it can be put in the slicer. West tampa sandwich shop, teresita (west tampa) and the food trailer that keeps winning the best Cuban title I think Michelle faedo, I am not a big fan because she douses the sandwich in garlic butter before it's pressed.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,600,830 times
There are several places that have their version of a cuban sandwhich. Small mom and pops seem to be the best place to find them. Keep trying till you find one YOU LIKE, then that will be your favorite cuban. Here's a hint: at lunch time look for a long line. With Brocato's it starts early and ends just in time for the dinner rush.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,652,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
My husband and I moved here about 5 1/2 years ago, and still have not had a Cuban sandwich! I know they are extremely popular here, a staple sandwich it seems. I love how different areas, different sandwiches are so popular. I never even heard of a Cuban sandwich until I moved here! (I grew up in MA and the staple sandwich up there is a fluffernutter, which I got heads turning at me when I was eating it a few times. (it is peanut butter and marshmallow fluff)

I am a picky eater so that is why I guess for myself I wasn't interested and also not a fan of roast beef. My hubby though, not sure why he hasn't tried one yet.

I did a little googling and it seems that ham, roast beef, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard seem to be the most popular ingredients. Is that typical of a cuban? I know of course I can get it w/o roast beef but does that take away the essence of the sandwich? Or do some places typically make it w/o roast beef?

Where are some suggestions to get a good cuban? I'm located in New Tampa. Would like to avoid Ybor if possible, (at least on a Sat night just to get a sandwich!) I heard that is where it was invented.

Any information you guys have would be really helpful!

Thanks so much!
Not roast beef, it's roast pork! And if you haven't had Cuban roast pork, you should really try it! It is marinated in delicious mojo seasoning. A good Cuban sandwich is built around quality Cuban roast pork. If they don't have real roast pork then I will order something else, because the roast pork is vital. Then ham (ideally neutral flavored - honey or salty ham ruins a Cuban), swiss cheese, mustard, and pickle. On Cuban bread, pressed - this makes the bread crispy and melts the cheese. Some Tampa Cuban restaurant places also have salami on their sandwiches, that's a local thing due to the Italian influence in Ybor at the turn of the last century. I like them with or without. But I am adamant that they should not have lettuce and tomato. It ruins the texture and the balance of flavors. Get your salad on the side! Order a cup of garbanzo bean soup on the side, sometimes called Spanish Bean soup - invented at the Columbia restaurant, variations of it are made all around Tampa Bay.

Good Cubans can be had all over town, there are lots of little Cuban restaurants around. I am a fan of the sandwiches at La Ideal Cafeteria, which is near Raymond James. It's on Tampa Bay Blvd. between MacDill Ave. and Habana Ave.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
There are several places that have their version of a cuban sandwhich. Small mom and pops seem to be the best place to find them. Keep trying till you find one YOU LIKE, then that will be your favorite cuban. Here's a hint: at lunch time look for a long line. With Brocato's it starts early and ends just in time for the dinner rush.
I love Brocato's for deviled crabs which are huge and full of crab meat, not breading. If you don't like their deviled crab, you won't like them anywhere in town. If you do like them, Carmine's in Ybor also serves a nice one. Another favorite of mine at Brocato's is the papa rellena, try that if you are into meat and potatoes over crab. You definitely want to go early because the place is a circus during the busy times. Seating is very limited, especially indoors.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 5,033,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I love Brocato's for deviled crabs which are huge and full of crab meat, not breading. If you don't like their deviled crab, you won't like them anywhere in town. If you do like them, Carmine's in Ybor also serves a nice one. Another favorite of mine at Brocato's is the papa rellena, try that if you are into meat and potatoes over crab. You definitely want to go early because the place is a circus during the busy times. Seating is very limited, especially indoors.
The whole deviled thing to me is supposed to involve mayo but deviled for tampa foods it means mixed with sofrito, which is meh.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM

"Deviled" in this context is definitely not like a deviled egg, so if you go into it expecting that I can understand disappointment. I personally really enjoy Brocato's sofrito, it is very fresh tasting and goes well with the crab without overpowering it - they also use it in the picadillo that fills the papa rellena and adds a lot of flavor. The crumbs they are rolled in fry up very crispy, and the rolls are huge and filling. If the flavor is not intense enough for you, they also taste great with the Texas Pete hotsauce they provide.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:25 PM

30,551 posts, read 21,457,792 times
Is Brocato's still in the same place they have always been? I know a friend of mine had to move and was bought out when they redid I4 a few years back. His house was the 2 nd house east of Brocato's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay