Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 29,294 times

Advertisements

Since I've lived in WA state my entire life, I've not dealt with much humidity. I've heard people say it's unbearable, and I've heard others say you'll get used to it! My husband and I, and our 3 small kids are considering moving to the Tampa area, from the Pacific Northwest.

So tell me, how bad is it? And is it really only in the summer that gets very humid? How many months of the year is it "unbearable"? Is there any way to escape the feeling of the humidity? AC? Swimming?

How is the hot weather/humidity for people with asthma and allergies? Three of us (me and two of my sons) have asthma and allergies. It is horrible for us here in WA during the spring and summer months because of allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM

61 posts, read 185,437 times
I am a Florida native, 35 years. No, you will not get used to it. When you walk outside in August or July at around 3:30 in the afternoon, it will hit you in the face. Some days, it's so thick it's difficult to breath. Even in the evenings it's very muggy most of the time during the summer. Sorry, but it's the truth...

Why i am moving to Tennessee soon. Not that i don't think there is not humidity there, but it doesn't last this long...

Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,200,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsomesunshine View Post
Since I've lived in WA state my entire life, I've not dealt with much humidity. I've heard people say it's unbearable, and I've heard others say you'll get used to it! My husband and I, and our 3 small kids are considering moving to the Tampa area, from the Pacific Northwest.

So tell me, how bad is it? And is it really only in the summer that gets very humid? How many months of the year is it "unbearable"? Is there any way to escape the feeling of the humidity? AC? Swimming?

How is the hot weather/humidity for people with asthma and allergies? Three of us (me and two of my sons) have asthma and allergies. It is horrible for us here in WA during the spring and summer months because of allergies.
I'm a native, (59 y.o.) and to me it's only really bad about 4 mo. out of the year. Keep in mind it depends where in Florida you live, and on each individual. Some hate it, and some don't. You will have to experience it yourself to see how you feel. As for asthma, my ex had asthma very bad when he lived in Boston, and then in rural Pasco County. From there we moved to Sarasota near the coast and his asthma completely cleared up! I have a lot of allergies here in Florida, but frankly are just as bad when I spent time in NC, Indiana and Wisconsin. So there you go. Come down in summer and see how you like it. November through May is usually dry and beautiful here.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,969,413 times
Quote:

June, July, august and September are Humid! dew points in the 70`s. You get used to it on how to deal with it not that it feels any better but it won`t bother you as much as say someone who just came down.

A/C and swimming are perfect for escaping the humidity. The summer here is bad for allergies too so I don`t think you will get any relief here.

The night time IMO is not so bad I kinda like the humid night time summers. It`s nice to go swimming at midnight and still be in the 80`s.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,386,340 times
Quote:

You are gogin to get ALL kinds of OPINIONS here...I am from the northeast, and have been in Tampa for 20 years. Hot and Humid June through September...unbearable??, Me, myself, i dont think so..I have A/C, and a pool, and the beaches are close by as well, plus, there are afternoon thunderstorms most days which can cool it off a bit(NOT to the point of chilly)...I say come visit for a week sometime June through September...I still moq my lawn and do yardwork, play sports and excersize, go to festivals and events in the summer as I do in the winters, which is kinda nice to be able to do all year round...but thats ME

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,256,660 times
I have lived here since the '80's and still think it is unbearable. Walk outside at 6:30 in the morning & you walk into a wall of humidity. Mid April through November bother me, and any time that it rains.

My allergies are a lot worse here. It will depend on what you are allergic to. Something is always blooming here. I have mold allergies and summer is the worst for me. Once it starts to rain for the season I suffer.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,687,308 times
As far as I'm concerned, Florida would be bearable in the Summer if it weren't for the humidity. It can be 77 degrees outside, but because it's so incredibly humid, I'm sweaty and feel all icky. I'm not even going to get into what it does to my hair. Thank goodness for A/C. I can't wait for November.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,923,706 times
I'm living on the east coast right now. It certainly does smack you in the face and inhibits breathing too. Worse, though is being locked up with AC for months and months.

I open the windows and patio door every morning no matter what until I cant take it. I sit on the lanai at night in the dark. I can't stand being in a house locked up. If I wanted to do that I coulda stayed up North LOL.

The issue for you is the three young kids. Not only is there a high UV index and you have to worry about skin cancer (and wrinkles lol)....you don't see kids outside playing in Florida. You can buy UV protective clothing, tint your windows and that cuts down on the UVA UVB and keeps 99% out...but they are inside the entire summer. Of course if you have a pool and especially if it's screened or even shaded it's better...

I can't tell you the last time I saw a kid playing outside since I moved here and I signed my lease in Feb. Moved perm end of April.

I mean literally NONE.

I would never live in Florida with young kids. My kid was outside from morning to night the entire summer in PA and we had 8 families we rotated our kids around all summer. One big outside party for kids and adults. Barbecues, swimming, music, games...

And the kids were out almost every day in the winter too, snow and all types of weather.

HERE, you don't' even see a single BARBECUE. I have yet to see a grill fired up since May in Vero Beach or anywhere else I've driven around when you'd expect to see people OUT and GRILLING

And don't forget the testing and graduation rates for Florida students are the worst in the country. Yes, you can teach them to perform. But what kind of classroom experience will they have?

You need to come here right in the middle of summer and try going about a regular day. Driving to stores etc. You'll get a flavor of it. Make sure you get a room with a patio door and patio or balcony so you can experience the feeling of wanting to go OUT and opening that door....

Old 08-19-2008, 04:10 PM

151 posts, read 799,430 times
Well, it is interesting to me to read the different opinions about the humidity and heat in Tampa. For one thing, we are talking about FLORIDA in SUMMER......sort of like asking someone from BUFFALO what the wind chill is like in WINTER..........

That being said, I grew up in Buffalo, spent most of my adult life (thus far!) in Ohio and moved to Houston 4 years ago. We were welcoming the change in temps and expected heat and humidity. Was it comfortable? Nope....not in the summer. I can hardly imagine a more humid area (often 90%+ humidity all summer into the fall, every day), and I can assure you that the air did not MOVE.

I have been here in Tampa since June, and while I know that is is summer in FL, I actually called DH at work after a few weeks and asked, "is that all there is?" as far as summer temps. Definitely hot, but not unmanageable. Go to the pool, or the beach to cool off, and of course everything is a/c'd to the point of needing a sweater! Plus there is this breeze nearly EVERY DAY that just begs to have the windows opened up in the evenings! We are often hanging out in the screen porch having a glass of "something" and wondering why we put up with northern winters for so long!

Allergies and asthma? Yup...I've got them, too, and what I have learned is that you're likely to have them anywhere. After 2 years in TX, I thought they were "cured" because I had no symptoms and was off all meds, then WHAM, back with a vengence and worse than ever. My dear body just seems to find something to be allergic to! I'm just lucky my allergist moved from the Cleveland Clinic to St. Pete a few years ago!

Anyways....you know what they say about opinions......but come down for a visit in the summer before deciding to move here. Only you can decide if you will be comfortable here.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:21 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,969,413 times
I see plenty of kids where I live outside maybe the areas some people live there is not many? Retirees or snow birds?

To say no kids play outside in all of florida is an exaggeration in the extreme.

There is alot more outside in the winter in florida but to say there is none, just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay