Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Nonsense. Personal anecdotes are not even remotely substantial evidence.

Wrong again. Suburbs and rural areas represented 31.7% of the population of the United States in the 2000 census. In 2010, suburbs and rural areas represented 28.8% of the population of the US. The United States trend of urbanization is widely covered in the media and there are plenty of resources where you can learn about it. More people are moving to cities today than they are to the suburbs, and it is not a recent trend.
You are using census which includes people being born into areas many do not want to live. Poverty stricken people living in slums, not able to move out easily. Look exactly where people move to when they have the opportunity to move.

We are discussing Tampa here, so let me ask you this. Of all the people moving here, have more moved to DT (urban) Tampa or have more moved to the suburban parts of Tampa and other actual suburbs? The answer is obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Nonsense. Personal anecdotes are not even remotely substantial evidence.

Wrong again. Suburbs and rural areas represented 31.7% of the population of the United States in the 2000 census. In 2010, suburbs and rural areas represented 28.8% of the population of the US. The United States trend of urbanization is widely covered in the media and there are plenty of resources where you can learn about it. More people are moving to cities today than they are to the suburbs, and it is not a recent trend.
Look at the demo that is moving to the city core though. Its poor "hipster" kids with no car and cannot afford to live in a suburban area.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Look at the demo that is moving to the city core though. Its poor "hipster" kids with no car and cannot afford to live in a suburban area.
Could be starving artists, eventually transforming an area. Have seen that happen in other urban areas that were not all that attractive for living. It takes time and "urban pioneers". It's kind of a catch 22 though. You need people to move to Tampa's city core, but you need businesses to be open. Heck, my son works in DT Tampa and there are very very limited choices for lunch. And come 6:00pm, the place is basically deserted. Retail/restaurants can't survive without people, but people don't want to move to a place where not much is open. It eventually can work out, but it is not fast or easy. Much easier to get people to move to suburbs.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post

We are discussing Tampa here, so let me ak you this. Of all the people moving here, have more moved to DT (urban) Tampa or have more moved to the suburban parts of Tampa and other actual suburbs? The answer is obvious.
The Tampa msa has a population density of about 400 people per square km, while downtown Tampa is closer to 5000. So considering dt is less than 1% of the Tampa msa area you can actually state that a random person is 13x more likely to move dt area than the suburbs.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The Tampa msa has a population density of about 400 people per square km, while downtown Tampa is closer to 5000. So considering dt is less than 1% of the Tampa msa area you can actually state that a random person is 13x more likely to move dt area than the suburbs.
I'm sure you can work percentages to come up with all kinds of things. I am just stating the fact that most people moving here will pick the suburbs or suburban parts of Tampa over the Tampa urban core.

I am all for Tampa's urban core to offer more and become more popular. It can only be helpful to the entire area and is good for people to have options......whether urban, suburban or rural. Everyplace and everyone has a role to play. I'm just glad that Tampa Bay does a very good job of providing so many options and is always trying to improve.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Could be starving artists, eventually transforming an area. Have seen that happen in other urban areas that were not all that attractive for living. It takes time and "urban pioneers". It's kind of a catch 22 though. You need people to move to Tampa's city core, but you need businesses to be open. Heck, my son works in DT Tampa and there are very very limited choices for lunch. And come 6:00pm, the place is basically deserted. Retail/restaurants can't survive without people, but people don't want to move to a place where not much is open. It eventually can work out, but it is not fast or easy. Much easier to get people to move to suburbs.
Dt has limited lunch options? As opposed to what McDonald's, Wendy's and subways you would find in the suburbs, in dt you can get sushi, Latin American fusion, Indian, taco bus, pizza, Anise is right there, a weekly food truck rally, not to mention Hyde park is across the river.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
it's just creepy.. and what is nice- unaffordable... So if the jobs are coming and the urbs are picking up steam, it will slowly happen as long as the economy doesn't burst like a balloon again. Tampa built out like any other city but I have NO idea why they did not build up the DT as well?? 30 yrs ago it was creepy and still is-- why? trying to hold on to historic buildings?bad investors? ,, what makes Tampa so different that every other city??

Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Dt has limited lunch options? As opposed to what McDonald's, Wendy's and subways you would find in the suburbs
It's funny how the suburb haters only think there are only fast food chains there. I wonder if the suburb haters have even been there.

I am talking about such great food options as Ozona Blue, Cafe Aslfreso, Casa Tina, The Black Pearl, The Living Room, Dimitri's on the Water, Massimo's, etc. BTW - All great suburban restaurants and there are a zillion more. The gulf coast towns naturally have a ton of unique options.

Where my son works in DT Tampa, he basically has Gilligans. Not much else within walking distance. A lot of closed down restaurants. The mayor's goal is to get the place filled with options, instead of closed down shops and to have things open past 5:00pm.......much of DT is deserted after working hours. Sure, you can find some spots with action (and crime) like Ybor, but he wants a more expansive and encompassing day life and night life and have it safe.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
If I was to rent, and I would never, I think I would probably rent the smallest place I could so as not to spend my money making someone else rich......so I can see the draw for childless people toward studio apartments. I think the mayor is doing a fine job of trying to make DT Tampa a place people want to live, not just work. It will take time, as the overwhelming amount of people prefer not to live there. But over time as the city core gets transformed from what it is into something nice and livable, more and more people of a certain type will decide to move there. It certainly is not for everyone, but some people like that type of living and it would be good to see the city flourish.
P: Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Clearwater, Oldsmar, are more like little towns than "suburbs", and they are definitely not Tampa's "suburbs"!

Carrollwood, New Tampa, Lutz, Westchase, are in the same boat; just because we don't have a "Main Street" or a "City Hall" that hardly qualifies all these as suburbs. We have everything else here; they are more like mini-towns of their own. South Tampa sucks on so many levels that there is not enough money on Earth to make me want to live there. It's so crowded during business hours, and that deserted downtown is a shame really...but then again...what demographic is there really to make it count? those ritziest of South Tampa aren't going to "dine" downtown! They want water views and expensive cow meats... LOL They don't know what's in Palm Harbor because it is so hard to get the heck of South Tampa that they just forget about it! hahahahahahahahahaha and BTW you wouldn't know there are so many rich living down there, that whole area is FILLED with pot holes! The roads there look worst than those on Indian Reservations! Totally overrated!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
P: Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Clearwater, Oldsmar, are more like little towns than "suburbs", and they are definitely not Tampa's "suburbs"!

Carrollwood, New Tampa, Lutz, Westchase, are in the same boat; just because we don't have a "Main Street" or a "City Hall" that hardly qualifies all these as suburbs. We have everything else here; they are more like mini-towns of their own. South Tampa sucks on so many levels that there is not enough money on Earth to make me want to live there. It's so crowded during business hours, and that deserted downtown is a shame really...but then again...what demographic is there really to make it count? those ritziest of South Tampa aren't going to "dine" downtown! They want water views and expensive cow meats... LOL They don't know what's in Palm Harbor because it is so hard to get the heck of South Tampa that they just forget about it! hahahahahahahahahaha and BTW you wouldn't know there are so many rich living down there, that whole area is FILLED with pot holes! The roads there look worst than those on Indian Reservations! Totally overrated!
Well technically they are suburbs of Tampa, but I get your point. They are their own individual towns in the sense of each having their own character, great infrastructure, everything one needs for daily living, plus so many things to do. Lots of entertainment. Definitely not the traditional suburbs that some people think of. I am with you on not wanting to live in South Tampa. Just not my thing. But I am happy others seem to like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay