Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much as anti gun-control as it gets, but it's a ridiculous argument to compare cars to guns when it comes to deaths.

Traffic fatalities are accidental. Accidental means that it's not intentional. Even someone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk and kills someone isn't charged with murder. They're charged with DUI manslaughter because the death was not intentional even though it occurred through gross negligence.

On the other hand, gun deaths (excluding true accidents) are intentional. If you shoot and kill someone it's a homicide. It could be a criminal homicide or a justifiable homicide, but it's still an intentional act where one person intentionally engages in an action to cause the death of another.

Intentional killings always strike deeper at everyone's moral fiber just because of the fact that they are violent acts that someone chooses to do. It's not an accident. Even accidental acts of violence are treated in a totally different manner. We didn't go to war with the Soviet Union when they blew a Korean airliner out of the sky in the 1980s, but when terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center we sent thousands of troops to Afghanistan. Comparing accidents to intentional acts just isn't acceptable. Not only do people not view them the same, but the courts don't view them the same either.

And lets not also forget the obvious. Cars were designed from the beginning as a mode of transportation. Firearms were designed from the beginning as weapons--weapons of war to be exact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Well stated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the driver in CA, I *think* is being charged with 6 counts of murder instead of manslaughter. I don't know enough about the laws, albeit California, to know whether or not this is a first. And I wonder what allows it to be changed from manslaughter to murder (not arguing for or against, just curious)

Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
vehicular homicide hello?
anyhow I moved Orlando Sat live in Clermont n drive to no of orl airport not bad at all its longer with distance, but ride has been stress free- really- I am amazed -I know be some days be issues but, I like the ride

Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
I'm pretty much as anti gun-control as it gets, but it's a ridiculous argument to compare cars to guns when it comes to deaths.

Traffic fatalities are accidental. Accidental means that it's not intentional. Even someone who gets behind the wheel of a car while drunk and kills someone isn't charged with murder. They're charged with DUI manslaughter because the death was not intentional even though it occurred through gross negligence.

On the other hand, gun deaths (excluding true accidents) are intentional. If you shoot and kill someone it's a homicide. It could be a criminal homicide or a justifiable homicide, but it's still an intentional act where one person intentionally engages in an action to cause the death of another.

Intentional killings always strike deeper at everyone's moral fiber just because of the fact that they are violent acts that someone chooses to do. It's not an accident. Even accidental acts of violence are treated in a totally different manner. We didn't go to war with the Soviet Union when they blew a Korean airliner out of the sky in the 1980s, but when terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center we sent thousands of troops to Afghanistan. Comparing accidents to intentional acts just isn't acceptable. Not only do people not view them the same, but the courts don't view them the same either.

And lets not also forget the obvious. Cars were designed from the beginning as a mode of transportation. Firearms were designed from the beginning as weapons--weapons of war to be exact.
We have accidental drug deaths, so we ban certain drugs. Perhaps we should value all deaths and not be so outraged over just some.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
We have accidental drug deaths, so we ban certain drugs. Perhaps we should value all deaths and not be so outraged over just some.
The things you are misguidedly talking about (drugs, cars) are already controlled, I can't legally sell you drugs on a drug show, I have to register my car, I need license, and so on.....In your head when someone says we have a gun problem you think they are trying to ban guns so if you are looking fro someone who has artificially manufactured outrage you should look within.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
vehicular homicide hello?
Vehicular homicide is not murder. Vehicular homicide is a second degree felony (the same as DUI manslaughter) and requires intentional grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle that rises to the level of reckless driving. It does NOT require that the offender intended to cause the death of a victim.

Murder, on the other hand, is either a life or capital felony. It requires actual intent to cause death to the victim. The reason that the penalty for murder is so much greater than that of either vehicular homicide or DUI manslaughter very simply is the requirement for the specific intent to cause the death of someone else.

You can intentionally strike someone with a vehicle, kill them, and be charged with murder. If you speed through a red light and kill someone, you'll just be charged with vehicular homicide. The maximum sentence is 15 years.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Comparing drug deaths to gun deaths is just as stupid as comparing traffic fatalities to murders.

Do you really think that society should "value" the death of a junkie who CHOSE to engage in what is obviously a dangerous habit by abusing drugs the same way as the death of a child who is murdered in their kindergarten classroom? The obvious answer that resounds with common sense is no. Regardless of whether or not that child is murdered by a gun, knife, baseball bat, or bomb, the victim is truly innocent. There's not much innocence involved with a drug abuser. Nobody forced that syringe of heroin into their veins. The same can be said of the many people who die each year as a result of either alcohol abuse or their desire to smoke. Nobody forced them to do it, it's a path that they willingly went down. They aren't innocent victims.

Again, I'm not in favor of gun control. The Constitution gives every American the right to keep and bear arms, and that right should not be unduly infringed. Firearms are still weapons. Sure they can be used for sporting or hunting, but they were originally designed to kill people. The reason that the framers of the Constitution wrote the second amendment isn't because they valued people's rights to hunt, skeet shoot, or keep from getting robbed; the second amendment was written because if the populace is armed it would be difficult for a tyrannical government to oppress them.

The bottom line is that as long as there are guns out there (and there always will be), there are going to be people victimized by those using guns. Trying to skew statistics or compare unlike things isn't going to change that. It's just something that has to be accepted. While guns don't cause crime and the reasons people engage in violent crime go much deeper, the sheer availability of guns doesn't help matters.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Vehicular homicide is not murder. Vehicular homicide is a second degree felony (the same as DUI manslaughter) and requires intentional grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle that rises to the level of reckless driving. It does NOT require that the offender intended to cause the death of a victim.

Murder, on the other hand, is either a life or capital felony. It requires actual intent to cause death to the victim. The reason that the penalty for murder is so much greater than that of either vehicular homicide or DUI manslaughter very simply is the requirement for the specific intent to cause the death of someone else.

You can intentionally strike someone with a vehicle, kill them, and be charged with murder. If you speed through a red light and kill someone, you'll just be charged with vehicular homicide. The maximum sentence is 15 years.
Thank you for taking the time to explain. That is what I was curious about after seeing that the driver in CA was being charged with murder (instead of manslaughter) or, at least that is how I read it.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The things you are misguidedly talking about (drugs, cars) are already controlled, I can't legally sell you drugs on a drug show, I have to register my car, I need license, and so on.....In your head when someone says we have a gun problem you think they are trying to ban guns so if you are looking fro someone who has artificially manufactured outrage you should look within.
so guns aren't controlled? My outrage is the way people react over some deaths and not others.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I dont know how all the states rule death by auto, but its true very few are intentionL as u could die or get maimed too/! As for the quest, somebody asked/ seem im in less harm in orl than tampa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay