Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
That is just ridiculous...bordering insanity. Almost equal to those who decide to go Black Friday shopping at 4am for "deals".

I am excited Trader Joe's is coming and we will likely make it our main shopping destination since it is down the road, but we won't step food inside at least until a month or two after opening.
Ha! So true. I can proudly say I have never done the Black Friday shopping. Ugh.

There is only one thing I waited in a huge line for - and it wasn't camping because it wasn't overnight but many many years ago (pre-internet days), I decided enough is enough, I wanted GOOD Red Sox tickets and not the crap you get during the season or pay the gross amount of $ to the ticket agencies. So I went into Boston in the wee hours of the morning thinking I'll be ahead of the game. I passed Fenway and saw, in the dark, some people on the sidewalks and thought "oh boy, look at all the homeless people". Nope, it was a line. So blanket in hand and my hot chocolate, I got in line. Five minutes in, the friend I was with dropped the thermos and broke it. There goes the hot chocolate. After hours of waiting in line, we finally turn the corner to where the ticket office was and see (and hear) many angry people leaving muttering "they're only selling [insert expletive here] general admission" (and not the box seats that everyone had hoped).

No lines. Ever. Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I read the wiki about Trader Joe's this morning...very interesting --> Trader Joe's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Though I haven't shopped there, the truffle brownies are tempting.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
You'd think it was the second coming. Beam me up, Scottie!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
I just got back from there. They have already sold out of the most popular items, so call ahead and ask about stock if you are heading there for something specific.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than they're idiots. Have lived in a few states I am very familiar with Trader Joes. While they have some "neat food", they're not worth camping out for.

I would also advise people to be smart and stay away for at least a week or two and let the novelty die down. The fact that police are going to be there isn't a good sign.

You don't want to get trampled or knocked down over chocolate potato chips or spinach pies.
Looks like you were wrong. Very, very wrong. It's still as busy as ever.

Parking at Trader Joe’s elusive | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

"Even at midday Friday, cars stacked up repeatedly trying to get into and out of the store’s crowded parking lot off Swann Avenue. Just inside the lot, store workers wearing bright orange vests worked traffic control, using red and green paddles to direct new arrivals to spaces moments after they freed up.

The scene was similar Saturday — but with even more traffic. Two months after Trader Joe’s opened at Swann and South Dale Mabry Highway, the iconic grocery store continues to create traffic tie-ups among shoppers flocking to it. Afternoons and weekends, the backups reach the half-block to Dale Mabry and beyond."

Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Looks like you were wrong. Very, very wrong. It's still as busy as ever.

Parking at Trader Joe’s elusive | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

"Even at midday Friday, cars stacked up repeatedly trying to get into and out of the store’s crowded parking lot off Swann Avenue. Just inside the lot, store workers wearing bright orange vests worked traffic control, using red and green paddles to direct new arrivals to spaces moments after they freed up.

The scene was similar Saturday — but with even more traffic. Two months after Trader Joe’s opened at Swann and South Dale Mabry Highway, the iconic grocery store continues to create traffic tie-ups among shoppers flocking to it. Afternoons and weekends, the backups reach the half-block to Dale Mabry and beyond."
That s*** is crazy..... I would never fight traffic like that for any store.

I only occasionally visit the one here in Sarasota, and thankfully the traffic situation there is never bad anymore.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That s*** is crazy..... I would never fight traffic like that for any store.

I only occasionally visit the one here in Sarasota, and thankfully the traffic situation there is never bad anymore.
We were going to the one in Sarasota until this year and it was always difficult to find a spot for us, often with police directing traffic.........but there were no lines of traffic like the Tampa one. It is obvious, regardless of what some nay sayers say, that TD is very popular. They have a marketing model that is top notch. I often wonder if they pick places with not enough parking, so that it drives interest in other people thinking that if everyone else wants to go there, so do I.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
It's not bad, I go weekends before 10 am, or weekdays before 5 it's in and out no problems. That strip on Dale Mabry was a mess before, so it doesn't take much for it to be backed up. It's crowded during peak times it's going to be crowded, one store lots of people and it's really small.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I often wonder if they pick places with not enough parking, so that it drives interest in other people thinking that if everyone else wants to go there, so do I.
I was actually just thinking the same thing. There must be some kind of strategy behind it and use it when opening in newer market areas. TJ's has been up here for as long as I can remember and every one that I've gone to has huge parking areas.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I was actually just thinking the same thing. There must be some kind of strategy behind it and use it when opening in newer market areas. TJ's has been up here for as long as I can remember and every one that I've gone to has huge parking areas.
Do you go to the Shrewsbury one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay