Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Do you go to the Shrewsbury one?
Haven't been to that one. But I've been to Cambridge, Hyannis, Framingham, Saugus, Foxboro (at Gillette Stadium) and Warwick, RI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I was actually just thinking the same thing. There must be some kind of strategy behind it and use it when opening in newer market areas. TJ's has been up here for as long as I can remember and every one that I've gone to has huge parking areas.
At least here in Sarasota, while the lot itself it tiny and tight, and at times difficult ingress/egress, there is overflow parking behind the store, and even in a lot that is behind that. So we aren't doing too bad. Especially now that Tampa got its own store.

And to Prius - while I do like that bacon you like from TJ, ALDI now carries a similar brand of natural bacon that I like a lot more, it is a thicker cut, and a bit cheaper. You might give it a try and see what you think. I love it myself, just had some this morning!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:56 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
At least here in Sarasota, while the lot itself it tiny and tight, and at times difficult ingress/egress, there is overflow parking behind the store, and even in a lot that is behind that. So we aren't doing too bad. Especially now that Tampa got its own store.

And to Prius - while I do like that bacon you like from TJ, ALDI now carries a similar brand of natural bacon that I like a lot more, it is a thicker cut, and a bit cheaper. You might give it a try and see what you think. I love it myself, just had some this morning!
Thx for the tip on the bacon. We do not prefer thick cut bacon, but I think it is well worth a try for one pack. What type? My wife loves TD for more than just the bacon, but I only care about the bacon..........I think. Maybe I care about the other stuff and don't know, as it is the stuff she cooks. Hmmmmmm........

Old 06-11-2014, 05:43 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I was actually just thinking the same thing. There must be some kind of strategy behind it and use it when opening in newer market areas. TJ's has been up here for as long as I can remember and every one that I've gone to has huge parking areas.

Yeah, the parking at the one in Tampa is HORRIBLE!! My hubby and I are moving back to CT soon, and I checked and there will be a TJ about 20-25 mins away from us. I checked the street view, and it's in a huge shopping plaza w/ so much parking. I think I was happier about the parking situation than the actual TJ.

Although, the parking does suck here at TJ, I do have to admit, they do a good job directing traffic. I've never had a problem getting a space since people are always leaving though too.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM

464 posts, read 645,585 times
Wonder what the parking will be like at the new TJ's slated to open in St. Pete later this year.

I'm a big TJ fan....lived and worked near several TJ's in DC-Metro. After retirement to AZ, we went to the two TJ's in Tucson (though it was a 90+ minute drive for us).

You can normally figure out the shopping patterns of a store and hit it at the 'right' time; some TJ's I've frequented were heavily used by retirees; other TJ's were frequented by younger, working people. Once you figure out a store's demographics, it's easy to pick the 'best' time to go.

When we lived in DC-Metro it was Costco that was the real shopping nightmare; plenty of parking, but oh my, the length of checkout lines!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Not sure what the big hype is.. maybe stick with Publix (at least it's from FL). Also TJ is owned by Aldi (German co.) and I see a hole bunch of controversies and criticism on line. As usual people going bananas for something different.
Agree.

I went into TJ's two weeks ago and there were THREE parking attendants. Ridiculous. I love South Tampa and I understand that space is limited, but I also think that some of these businesses create a bunch of hype to trick the masses into thinking that they must be special. TJ's paid our local media to run a news report about the opening and you'd have thought that the freaking president was coming to town. LOL

I refuse to wait in line for a freaking grocery store and have a hard time seeing people who accept it and go along with the flow.
If TJ's wanted to build a bigger store with a bigger parking lot, they would--but they would not likely "succeed" as much as they appear to be in South Tampa. Any other area and they become just like the other "gourmet grocery" chains. There are at least two other gourmet chains (and let's call Trader Joe's what it is--a chain) in South Tampa; both of them have ample parking, and both of them probably do as much business as TJ's.

Trader Joe's simply knows how to market itself better via HYPE.

Also was personally very disappointed in the store. My first impression was, Dam this place is TINY. No wonder people are always leaving! You can have your shopping done in 5-10 minutes.

I'll stick with the other gourmet food markets that we already have in Tampa Bay. I live in Pinellas County and I think Nature's Patch is by far the best.

Last edited by 1RuggedGent; 06-13-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:22 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RuggedGent View Post
Agree.

I went into TJ's two weeks ago and there were THREE parking attendants. Ridiculous. I love South Tampa and I understand that space is limited, but I also think that some of these businesses create a bunch of hype to trick the masses into thinking that they must be special. TJ's paid our local media to run a news report about the opening and you'd have thought that the freaking president was coming to town. LOL

I refuse to wait in line for a freaking grocery store and have a hard time seeing people who accept it and go along with the flow.
If TJ's wanted to build a bigger store with a bigger parking lot, they would--but they would not likely "succeed" as much as they appear to be in South Tampa. Any other area and they become just like the other "gourmet grocery" chains. There are at least two other gourmet chains (and let's call Trader Joe's what it is--a chain) in South Tampa; both of them have ample parking, and both of them probably do as much business as TJ's.

Trader Joe's simply knows how to market itself better via HYPE.

Also was personally very disappointed in the store. My first impression was, Dam this place is TINY. No wonder people are always leaving! You can have your shopping done in 5-10 minutes.

I'll stick with the other gourmet food markets that we already have in Tampa Bay. I live in Pinellas County and I think Nature's Patch is by far the best.
I agree that hype gets people in. However hype does not get people to return. And people return like crazy, so they are doing something the people like.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Countryboy View Post
There seems to be a bit of black vs white interpretation going on in this thread. I think those that are criticizing the hype about TJ aren't saying there are no reasons to shop there - they (and this is my opinion too) just feel it isn't all it is portrayed to be. IOW, it is not worth it for them. Those that do love TJ find that they have a selection and aesthetic they love. The hype is also part of what some people love. Don't fault them. We all buy more than just products, we buy the experience of where we shop.
Being a fan of TJ, I have to say that is very well stated. I wouldn't wait in a crazy line for it though. I know its pluses (which keeps me going back) and I know their shortcomings (which is the reason it supplements my grocery shopping).

It's all about what each of us like, food aside. Some of us will stand hours in line for an amusement ride, a concert, a sporting event, etc..

p.s. just read it's been rumored that WF could be purchased by Publix. Interesting...

Last edited by Sunshinecc; 06-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay