Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

I live 5 minutes from this new store and i cannot wait to have another option to the Publix, Wal-Mart, etc. I just went to Fresh Market to buy some guacamole. They usually have a big wall of it in the produce section. When I got there it was all gone. When I asked an employee "where's the guacamole" she said it all expired and had to be thrown away, about 600 containers of it. When I asked when they would get more, she huffed, puffed and rolled her eyes at me and said "I have no clue". Horrible customer service, not to mention inventory management, and this is a store that charges outrageous prices!!

Speaking of inventory management, the other stores cannot be counted on. Need cilantro? I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to Publix and they are out. Need hot dog buns? The ones at Walmart are always stale. Want Ben and Jerry's Coffee Caramel ice cream? Target never has it.

At least I know that if I go to Trader Joes, the customer service will be excellent, the inventory will be managed by competent people and the small store will be easy to get in and get out of. I have never had a bad experience at Trader Joes in any state I've lived where there has been one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM

792 posts, read 2,293,694 times
If Sav-a-Lot doesn't have it, you don't need it.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,812,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshapiro101 View Post
Speaking of inventory management, the other stores cannot be counted on. Need cilantro? I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to Publix and they are out. Need hot dog buns? The ones at Walmart are always stale. Want Ben and Jerry's Coffee Caramel ice cream? Target never has it.

At least I know that if I go to Trader Joes, the customer service will be excellent, the inventory will be managed by competent people and the small store will be easy to get in and get out of. I have never had a bad experience at Trader Joes in any state I've lived where there has been one.
Pleaseeeee
Last time I was at TJ in Sarasota they were out of 1) orange chicken, 2) orange chickenless, 3) ice cream (mini cones), 4) naan (frozen - both plain and garlic). When I asked to check if they have more I was told they don't and expect more within next 2 weeks or so, but cannot guarantee anything due to too many costumers shopping there. Add 1,5 hr drive and guess my excitement...

Old 03-17-2014, 03:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 3,859,744 times
It makes more sense if Trader Joe's runs out of something, they are a smaller store, with a quarter of the shelf space of a Fresh Market, Publix, Target etc.

It doesn't make sense if Fresh Market runs out of cucumbers or Publix runs out of half&half, as happened to me this week. First of all there's many many of those stores in the area. Second, those are huge stores, with much more shelf space and larger distribution networks than Traders. For Publix to run out of cream is just plain incomprehensible.

With only one store in Tampa Bay, a metro region/population that usually can sustain 3-5 Trader Joes stores, we can expect the Tampa TJs to run out of popular product all the time.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM

62 posts, read 86,417 times
Anybody see the ad in the Tampa Bay Times today? consumer Union (Consumer Reports) targeted Trader Joe's over antibiotics in their beef. It surprised me that they were targeting a specific grocer. I thought it unusual that Consumer Reports took out an ad in the paper to do that.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesonofstpete View Post
Anybody see the ad in the Tampa Bay Times today? consumer Union (Consumer Reports) targeted Trader Joe's over antibiotics in their beef. It surprised me that they were targeting a specific grocer. I thought it unusual that Consumer Reports took out an ad in the paper to do that.
Yeah, that IS funny considering every other major grocer does the same thing. Maybe they think Trader Joe's might be more receptive.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,812,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
It makes more sense if Trader Joe's runs out of something, they are a smaller store, with a quarter of the shelf space of a Fresh Market, Publix, Target etc.

It doesn't make sense if Fresh Market runs out of cucumbers or Publix runs out of half&half, as happened to me this week. First of all there's many many of those stores in the area. Second, those are huge stores, with much more shelf space and larger distribution networks than Traders. For Publix to run out of cream is just plain incomprehensible.

With only one store in Tampa Bay, a metro region/population that usually can sustain 3-5 Trader Joes stores, we can expect the Tampa TJs to run out of popular product all the time.
I personally never had a problem with soothing being out of stock unless this item is on super sale and there are coupons making this item basically free. We all know 99% times coupons are for junk food, so I rarely have this issues with something being out of stock.
If I see empty shelves, I ask workers and they always bring be more and restock shelves.
I also liked how my local Publix listened me. They usually ask at the registry is I found everything I was looking for, and when I said no, they call manager and he took some notes and sometime after that these items became available at my store. I am talking about certain organic baby products and some specific brand name items as well as some fresh veggies I wasn't able to buy and Publix and had to drive to SuperTarget to get it.
Also, most Publix stores have ethnic food departments and you can find a lot of unique to US people items.
But I will not argue and say all stores the same. My happened to be one of the best with very caring people. I am sure TJ is the same way, but driving there, fighting for parking and bumping to the crowd inside doesn't make it for me, sorry.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,825,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I personally never had a problem with soothing being out of stock unless this item is on super sale and there are coupons making this item basically free. We all know 99% times coupons are for junk food, so I rarely have this issues with something being out of stock.
This is so true. In case you weren't aware of these, you can get coupons for more natural or organic foods through Energy Times magazine, Mambo Sprouts, and if you ever go to Whole Foods, they have coupons on their website you can print out (or pick up a hard copy at the store)

Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 3,859,744 times
Yes, not all stores are the same. The Publix and Walmart nearest to me are like Las Vegas. Planning to make a recipe? Get in your car, drive there, fight for a parking space and roll the dice. They may have what you need, they may not.
My Publix runs out of canned chicken stock, flank steak, bananas all the time, orange juice, things that ARE NOT on sale, you name it.

When Trader Joes opens, and they see their sales take a hit, perhaps they will up their game.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
I have three publix (actually 4) pretty close to each other, the one at Britton Plaza and the one at Himes/Gandy have to be .5 mile from each other. The one at Mabry/Henderson is really crowded and parking is scarce but the other two are a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay