Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 PM

442 posts, read 1,579,154 times

Advertisements

7-year-old bit on cheek by neighbor's dog during hug

Yet another one of these stories in the news. Why are people so outrageous and quick to kill an animal due to their own ignorance and negligence? What if we always resorted to euthanize young people who picked fights and bullied classmates or adults who caused car accidents, minor theft, etc. It's the same mentality, except worse IMO because we as humans know right from wrong for our actions whereas animals resort to animal instincts. Yet we put Sparky down and watch Guy, who just murdered his cousin, walk out on bail.

I have sympathy for the Mom, it's horrible that her child was attacked, but her demands for the dog to be put down or taken away are selfish and ignorant. This woman is outrageous and also filing a law suit. I hope she loses considering she allowed her daughter to go up to the dog. Why is it people, especially parents, do not understand that a domestic animal still has the potential to act on it's animal instincts? Don't let your children near someone else's animal or let alone own an animal if you don't understand and respect that there is always a potential of that animal acting out.

Stupid throw-away society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 AM

464 posts, read 645,881 times
The little girl had to have TWENTY EIGHT stitches on her face, and will need RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY.

In this case, neither the girl's mother nor animal control are acting "outrageously.'

Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The dog seems to have a temperament where it doesnt see a problem with tearing up some kids face, i'd not wait until it tears up some other kid, i'd be for putting the dog down..

Old 06-22-2014, 06:20 AM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Looks like a white trash story to me.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Looks like a white trash story to me.
Based on ???????

Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
7-year-old bit on cheek by neighbor's dog during hug

What if we always resorted to euthanize young people who picked fights and bullied classmates or adults who caused car accidents, minor theft, etc.

wow, you animal-protection rights people are way out there with some/a lot of your thinking.....really backwards thinking, imo.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:49 AM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
Based on ???????
Just seeing the mother on the news was enough for me. She would fit right in around my area.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 AM

This may sound inflammatory, but the no-kill shelter idea is a farce. I am a dog lover, former dog owner (our last pup lived to 17 years).

Even PETA says no-kill shelters do not work; they simply send out dangerous dogs in a revolving door fashion until ultimately they are put down by officials after some sort of tragic incident like this.

The no-kill concept isn't fair to the dogs; they do not have happy lives, they become less and less social the longer they stay at the shelters. Read this:
Animal Rights Uncompromised: 'No-Kill' Shelters | About PETA | PETA

The other problem with no-kill shelters is that they can't afford to turn away any prospective adopter. Many dog owners have no idea how to train a dog, how to socialize a dog.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:52 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Night night doggy

Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
Sad all around. I have a lot of emotions for both sides.

Also, "animal rights" is being cognizant that other animals deserve respect. Dogs, like humans, are deadly animals. Unfortunately, they do not speak english, and unfortunately, their human owners don't always socialize them properly. Sometimes the dog has a genuine issue mentally (much like humans). Humans really should stop having such a superiority complex.

I never, ever touch a dog unless given permission by the owner. I hardly even look at them. I've read many books on dog (and other animal) behavior since it's kind of my hobby. If I can tell a dog is agitated looking at me, I turn my body language away to not threaten them.

Surely this little girl had no idea.

They said the dog was always kind to kids. Maybe she encountered the dog at a moment it was threatened/upset by something else. Much like a person who punches the guy in a fight who is trying to help.

Not saying it's right, but it's very likely there's a reason this dog reacted the way it did. Maybe not. A lot of people can't read the subtle body language of a dog or know the "fear" cues. Humans also act irrational when frightened.

That being said, I don't think children should "hug" neighbors dogs. Also it sounds like a very high energy dog (jumping the fence?). It does not surprise me in the least. I'm going to blame the owner mostly for not being cognizant of their responsibility.

I think everyone needs to read a book on dog behavior (more than an article) to understand just how complicated these animals are. Hugging is also not natural to a lot of dogs. Again, not the little girls fault, not what I am saying at all. There are a plethora of great books on amazon.

Sad all around. I can see the emotions from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay