Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times

Advertisements

So I've spent the last 4 years here in Clearwater, FL. It's sunny, cheap to live in, and overall isn't a terrible place to live. I've been trying effortlessly to find another job (I am still currently employed just not happy with my current job) and have come up dry.

All the while, I've really been reflecting on why I'm still here in FL. I have no new (real) friends and only have my father as family (who I don't get along with very well in the first place).

Connecticut is cold, expensive and overall pretty boring... But I really have been missing my Friends a lot. I was sort of banking that they would escape CT as I did, but alas they had purchased houses instead. I fear that if I decide to stay in Florida, that eventually my friends will just sort of "fade away".

So I've really just been considering to say the hell with it and deal with the down falls of CT... be back home where it's cold and boring, but at least I'll be able to hang out with my pals. It's not like I can't come back if they do indeed just disappear and I have nothing left to hold me home.

Anyone else experience the same issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
If your pals a young and married I dont foresee a lot of hanging with the buds.
They will have children which will suck up even more of their time and life commitments .
You may find yourself looking for new friends before long.
You will need a job up there. Any chance of lining up something before you head back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So I've spent the last 4 years here in Clearwater, FL. It's sunny, cheap to live in, and overall isn't a terrible place to live. I've been trying effortlessly to find another job (I am still currently employed just not happy with my current job) and have come up dry.

All the while, I've really been reflecting on why I'm still here in FL. I have no new (real) friends and only have my father as family (who I don't get along with very well in the first place).

Connecticut is cold, expensive and overall pretty boring... But I really have been missing my Friends a lot. I was sort of banking that they would escape CT as I did, but alas they had purchased houses instead. I fear that if I decide to stay in Florida, that eventually my friends will just sort of "fade away".

So I've really just been considering to say the hell with it and deal with the down falls of CT... be back home where it's cold and boring, but at least I'll be able to hang out with my pals. It's not like I can't come back if they do indeed just disappear and I have nothing left to hold me home.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM

they are not married and none have children (except one, but she and I don't talk anymore anyway)

Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM

484 posts, read 761,602 times
JMHO - I had a very active social life when I lived in CT also, but for me, that was a product of being a young adult. I moved to FL when I was 23, and despite my social life being slower, I would not go back. I like my life here.

YMMV

Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:

It sounds to me like moving isn't a great solution. Making some friends here is, though! What have you done to meet new people here? We moved to this area a couple of years ago. With time and effort, we were able to establish good friendships here. Church was a huge help to us. We attend a church where there is a vibrant small group network, and we have hooked into a good small group. I've also taken the time to make friends with the people with whom I work. I've found that friendships are investments. It takes time and effort to grow "real" friends.

If church isn't your thing, then you could try Meet Up. There are all kinds of groups around the Tampa Bay area you could hook in to.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM

I've tried meet up and have gone to a few meetings... So far mostly older people.

Church won't work for new because I'm an atheist and I'll want to debate people instead of befriend them.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:

Something about this area and making friends - too many transplants and folks who don't plan on living here for a long time (transient) ----no real sense of community, imo.

I'd move back - play in the snow, get back near your buds - Florida will always be here. Too many people here and growing.......I think other than the winter temps, one could really do better.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Move back, hang out with your friends and get involved in some wintertime activities. You'll soon discover that the New England area in general is far from boring. Since moving back to N.H. from Florida we find ourselves much more active year round than we ever were down there. It's like having a new lease on life.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Friend just let me know that he can almost certainly get me an interview with a Data Solutions company in Norwalk, CT starting at 42k.

Right up my alley!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Move back, hang out with your friends and get involved in some wintertime activities. You'll soon discover that the New England area in general is far from boring. Since moving back to N.H. from Florida we find ourselves much more active year round than we ever were down there. It's like having a new lease on life.
We find Florida FAR more enjoyable than New England and also feel winters are the worst up there. Everyone's likes and dislikes are different, so no guarantees the OP will like it there. There are 50 or 52 states to choose from, depending on who you listen to....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay