Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

For some of you naysayers here, I am posting a link to a TBO article from a year ago; about how New York is feeding our population:

New York feeding Florida growth | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

It seems quite a few younger people from NEW YORK are finding Tampa just fine, and are enthused about what Mayor Buckhorn is doing.

Also, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia, with a few more accolades:

<<In 2008, Tampa was ranked as the 5th best outdoor city by Forbes.[17] A 2004 survey by the NYU newspaper Washington Square News ranked Tampa as a top city for "twenty-somethings."[18] Tampa also ranks as the fifth most popular American city, based on where people want to live, according to a 2009 Pew Research Center study.[19] Tampa is now ranked as a "Gamma+" world city by Loughborough University.[20] According to Loughborough, Tampa ranks alongside other world cities such as Phoenix, Charlotte, Rotterdam, and Santo Domingo.[21] In recent years Tampa has seen a notable upsurge in high-market demand from consumers, signaling more wealth concentrated in the area.[22] Tampa hosted the 2012 Republican National Convention and the 15th International Indian Film Academy Awards in April 2014.[23][24]>>>

Tampa is moving along just fine; some of you here are unrealistic and overly negative. Things don't happen overnight, and everything costs a lot of money. And for those of you who "can't wait til the old-farts die off" - you should be ashamed of yourselves. How about you just go where you think it's utopia - oh, wait, it doesn't exist.....

Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
I find nothing wrong with casting off people who try to shove themselves in the way of positive progress. Besides, most of them live too far away from downtown to really matter, anyway.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
When I lived in Joliet Illinois witch is about 30 miles from Chicago people here always went to Chicago fo dinner of entertainment and to work. You would park your car at the Metra train station parking lot and off you go. When you get to the city they have plenty of cabs, and mega buses witch look like slinkeys. And the L the subway in the city. Every day the city is packed with people working or having fun. Have restraunts like pizza UNO Chicago deep dish pizza, Lowerys steak house, and Gibsons steake house,Al's Italian beef , and Chicago hotdogs being sold on the street. So if Tampa can bring that kind of atmosphere then Tampa could be busy all the time. Chicago like NY are cities that never sleep. And they also have ride share bikes throughout the city. My wife and I are thinking about moving back in April or may.
This is exactly how Tampa SHOULD be. I went to New Orleans in February and said to myself, "This is Ybor had Ybor been done properly." Mayor Buckhorn is doing his part to make Tampa the next great city. Between the Encore project and the Riverwalk (of which is converting to an open carry) we're making progress. Add in Vinik's new Channelside and we'll watch downtown SLOWLY transform into a more bustling area of town.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Besides, most of them live too far away from downtown to really matter, anyway.
This is another HUGE problem with Tampa. People who don't live IN Tampa hindering it's progress. Notice how most naysayers on here don't live in Tampa? Notice how some don't even live in Hillsborough County?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
This is another HUGE problem with Tampa. People who don't live IN Tampa hindering it's progress. Notice how most naysayers on here don't live in Tampa? Notice how some don't even live in Hillsborough County?
Bingo!

I don't see anyone who actually lives downtown complaining. Just old suburbanites who fear Tampa becoming something more than a heehaw Mayberry dump.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
This is exactly how Tampa SHOULD be. I went to New Orleans in February and said to myself, "This is Ybor had Ybor been done properly." Mayor Buckhorn is doing his part to make Tampa the next great city. Between the Encore project and the Riverwalk (of which is converting to an open carry) we're making progress. Add in Vinik's new Channelside and we'll watch downtown SLOWLY transform into a more bustling area of town.
I agree - and not sure, but I think I read somewhere they will be expanding that streetcar and trolley service too, once all of that gets going. I wouldn't be surprised to see some private company come along and start up some sort of transit service. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with Mayor Buckhorn. True, I am one who does not live in Tampa anymore, but as I said before it is my hometown, and my husband has worked for the government downtown for 15 years now, so I definitely have a vested interest. I love to see downtown cores developed. The fact is, Tampa is NOT the only city with suburban sprawl - you find sprawl in most states. It doesn't matter, those who want to live in suburbs can live in suburbs. Those who want urban living can be URBAN PIONEERS! That is how places start to take off. That is why all those younger New Yorkers coming to downtown are paving the way for more things to happen.

I think it is exciting to see all these things taking place. Don't forget about the InVision Master Plan - I am reposting the link here for those who have forgotten, or have never seen it in the first place:

InVisionTampa - Home

Eventually, all of those inner city neighborhoods will be developed and you will have a very vibrant urban core.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Don't forget about the InVision Master Plan - I am reposting the link here for those who have forgotten, or have never seen it in the first place:

InVisionTampa - Home

Eventually, all of those inner city neighborhoods will be developed and you will have a very vibrant urban core.
I was not aware of this project. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
Huh?

You literally think that "everyone" actively spends their lives running around trying to compel others to live the way they do? Mmmkay...
Isnt that what you are doing?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
And if it became the mega-city some envision it will loose its attraction and be just like any other
mega-city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
For some of you naysayers here, I am posting a link to a TBO article from a year ago; about how New York is feeding our population:

New York feeding Florida growth | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

It seems quite a few younger people from NEW YORK are finding Tampa just fine, and are enthused about what Mayor Buckhorn is doing.

Also, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia, with a few more accolades:

<<In 2008, Tampa was ranked as the 5th best outdoor city by Forbes.[17] A 2004 survey by the NYU newspaper Washington Square News ranked Tampa as a top city for "twenty-somethings."[18] Tampa also ranks as the fifth most popular American city, based on where people want to live, according to a 2009 Pew Research Center study.[19] Tampa is now ranked as a "Gamma+" world city by Loughborough University.[20] According to Loughborough, Tampa ranks alongside other world cities such as Phoenix, Charlotte, Rotterdam, and Santo Domingo.[21] In recent years Tampa has seen a notable upsurge in high-market demand from consumers, signaling more wealth concentrated in the area.[22] Tampa hosted the 2012 Republican National Convention and the 15th International Indian Film Academy Awards in April 2014.[23][24]>>>

Tampa is moving along just fine; some of you here are unrealistic and overly negative. Things don't happen overnight, and everything costs a lot of money. And for those of you who "can't wait til the old-farts die off" - you should be ashamed of yourselves. How about you just go where you think it's utopia - oh, wait, it doesn't exist.....

Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
And if it became the mega-city some envision it will loose its attraction and be just like any other
mega-city.
Like Atlanta lost its attraction and just became a mega-city? Like New York lost its attraction and became a mega-city? Like L.A. lost its attraction and became a mega-city? Last I checked, millions of people want to live in those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay