Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 AM

74 posts, read 99,666 times

Advertisements

I had posted this in the General Florida and thought Id get LOTS of ideas for places since Florida has so many smaller cities. Nope didnt really get the info Im looking for.

Which city/town would you suggest village living for me

Certainly Dunedin really fits my criteria but I believe there has to be more. And maybe folks who do know Dunedin can suggest other places for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 08:53 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
That budget is too low for coastal cities, and you will have to compromise on other things as well. You might look into Winter Haven (central FL). Has a really cute downtown, lots of lakes, very pretty, you can probably find something there in your budget. Competition for rentals is FIERCE in the coastal cities, especially near amenities, so rentals are very high (and hard to come by)

Another place you might like is Venice (especially the island). Walkable/bikable to downtown and the beaches, small, pretty, safe. Older demographic there. BUT..... again, the budget is probably too low.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Thanks gypsychic. Winter Haven does have what you mentioned, plus the 50+ community center like Dunedin, bikeable, it does have small fun events. Also is Legoland which has Cypress Gardens and from pics looks really pretty. It has a nice art community.

So I can give up the beach. I can give up a lot of things!! If I dont have the money, then thats that.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 AM

120 posts, read 118,163 times
Gulfport (in St. Pete) may have what you're looking for.

Gulfport Florida

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
The OPs budget is $500 a month in high season...as a Gulfport resident who rented here in high season while we shopped for our home, I can tell you that $500 is probably too low for a WEEKLY rate, let alone for a month!

The historic, village part of Gulfport is from the waterfront, north to below 22nd Ave South, west to 59th Street and then East inside of 49th St.

Look at https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rental...-west/gulfport

For shared rentals, look here:
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Gulfport--F...ss_id=3fwzpmw5

Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 AM

quick update.

Since it looked as though Id have to live away from the beach, I compromised. What I really want is a warmish winter, really affordable safe apartments with the bikeable smallish downtown.

I drove through Alabama down two different routes in the past, and I thought Alabama has got a good feel to it. So I posted in their AL forum.

Someone said Decatur met my criteria. This is right on the Tennessee river. 25 mintues from Huntsville AL, another fine place. Suddenly this appealed and look right to me, and the more Ive researched the more it grew that Florida isnt the place for me.

So Ill be visiting soon to scope it out.

Done Florida for a decade. Which is why it was to be a winter home. Hated the other half of the year! But I can see full time living in Northern AL.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM

91 posts, read 131,996 times
Village life? Not in the Tampa Bay area. Bicycling? Tampa Bay has the highest pedestrian/bike fatality rate in the U.S. The little towns inland from Tampa are kind of scary central-Florida-heat-addled-swamp-people towns. Anywhere in the Tampa Bay metro area, you need a car. And traffic is horrible.

Now, there's "The Villages" north of here. (lol)

Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Pinellas county has a trail aptly named Pinellas Trail...that is the only place I allowed my kids to bike on...luckily it runs from one end of Pinellas to the other. If you lived near downtown Dunedin by old Main Street you could bike on quiet side streets but I would stay off Alt 19 and any other major roads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay