Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Tampa makes me laugh anymore, Professionals such as Emts Dispatchers and Teachers in some areas of Tampa Bay make 14-16 an hour. Even jobs at Citibank, Progressive insurance and USAA known as the big call centers in Brandon/Riverview start at this tepid range, Law School Graduate positions at the Public defenders office only start at 37 k a year! and Rent for a small two bedroom in urban Hillsborough in a decent neighborhood is around 1300 a month now! Car Insurance is sky-high here as well and Publix is generally high in food prices. you will go broke in this area especially if you have no Budgeting skills.

People buy new cars and boats on shady loans! Some people are not as rich as you think in Tampa!
You should listen to yourself once in a while. You could still be here if you did..

Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Tampa makes me laugh anymore, Professionals such as Emts Dispatchers and Teachers in some areas of Tampa Bay make 14-16 an hour. Even jobs at Citibank, Progressive insurance and USAA known as the big call centers in Brandon/Riverview start at this tepid range, Law School Graduate positions at the Public defenders office only start at 37 k a year! and Rent for a small two bedroom in urban Hillsborough in a decent neighborhood is around 1300 a month now! Car Insurance is sky-high here as well and Publix is generally high in food prices. you will go broke in this area especially if you have no Budgeting skills.

People buy new cars and boats on shady loans! Some people are not as rich as you think in Tampa!
What do you expect employers to do? Pay $22 an hour to start?

You are talking no professional work when you are talking about "call centers", no experience necessary.
Public service dispatchers enjoy higher pay as their experience and time on the job expands.

Everybody wants $20 an hour to start, corner office, 4 weeks vacation -- and they are going into a job they never did before.

It dont work that way.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Al the people Florida spit out have the same story. "It wasnt me, it was Florida's fault that I sank like a stone"

Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Shady loans, shady people, illegal immigrants, traffic, high cost of living, no jobs, low paying jobs, too hot, too humid, to crowded --- All those who couldnt hack life in Florida have the same cry me a river story.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Shady loans, shady people, illegal immigrants, traffic, high cost of living, no jobs, low paying jobs, too hot, too humid, to crowded --- All those who couldnt hack life in Florida have the same cry me a river story.
And you know, it's so predictable. All of the people who came here and wanted to be here and had a great attitude, work ethic etc. have been able to find employment and whatever else they needed. The people complaining on here are pretty much the same ones over and over, and you can just tell by how they present on their posts they don't present well to employers. My husband has never had to seek a job here - HE WAS SOUGHT OUT each time, based on the merits of his work ethic, experience and personality. He makes a great salary and he is grateful for it and he deserves it. He will retire in 4 years with a GREAT pension also.

The people who can't make it here would rather sit around and complain about their lot in life instead of being proactive and doing something for themselves. They label those of us who tell the truth "cheerleaders"; just because we are happy and happen to like where we are and what we are doing. If they really think it's that bad here, they need to do themselves a favor and get out already. There is a big world out there. But you know, there is that saying "wherever you go, there you are."

Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
And you know, it's so predictable. All of the people who came here and wanted to be here and had a great attitude, work ethic etc. have been able to find employment and whatever else they needed. The people complaining on here are pretty much the same ones over and over, and you can just tell by how they present on their posts they don't present well to employers. My husband has never had to seek a job here - HE WAS SOUGHT OUT each time, based on the merits of his work ethic, experience and personality. He makes a great salary and he is grateful for it and he deserves it. He will retire in 4 years with a GREAT pension also.

The people who can't make it here would rather sit around and complain about their lot in life instead of being proactive and doing something for themselves. They label those of us who tell the truth "cheerleaders"; just because we are happy and happen to like where we are and what we are doing. If they really think it's that bad here, they need to do themselves a favor and get out already. There is a big world out there. But you know, there is that saying "wherever you go, there you are."
We've just seen the same scenario play out here time and time again. Some talk about those people who "are looking for a new start" and it seems to me that those are the same people who learn to hate Florida (as if Florida was the cause of their woes). I guess those arer people who could not make in the worlds they were in so decide to pull off a "fresh start" and hope for the best. Then, surprisingly, they find that they cant hack it here either and here becomes their worst enemy. Like I said before. They all want $20 an hour and a corner office close to the water cooler on day one. They dont think they should have to put in the time and effort to give an employer a reason to pay them more and grow. Nope. They want the short cut.

It is nice when your reputation precedes you. It takes ability and charisma to do that.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM

163 posts, read 183,812 times
Just because a person is unhappy here or feels (knows) the wages are low doesn't necessarily mean they lack charisma and work ethic. It's okay to be unhappy here or miss "home" or want to move back. Normal people with fantastic jobs and incomes in the top 1% can also feel this way. Everyone has the right to.

People on this site call others out and basically insult them when they have an opinion (or post something factual or an actual experience) that is different than their own. Let people talk. Let others listen without shooting the messenger. Everyone has the right to feel one way or the other about life in FL. It doesn't mean they are a degenerate or a miserable person. They shouldn't be subject to insults and mass generalizations.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that some of you love it here and wouldn't call anywhere else home. I hope to be among you one day. But, in the meantime, you won't find me trolling your threads and insulting you because you truly cannot speak to the experiences of someone who is just starting out, or someone who moved here for a great job opportunity and didn't fall in love instantly. Just like it's perfectly acceptable to love FL and be a lovely, intelligent person, it's also possible to find FL unappealing and still be just as upstanding. Cyber bullying someone because they are unhappy or were truly dealt a bad hand is a new kind of low.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:19 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
True, however, there are certain participants in the forum who actively troll these threads to do nothing more than spread their venom. Why, I have no idea. Don't feed the trolls, folks - and we all know who they are.

It's always good to have observations and experiences from differing viewpoints, but when it's to accomplish nothing more than complain, especially when much of what it said is opinion and not factual or worse yet, fallacious, it takes away from the conversation. Add to this the fact that a good number of these members don't live in the area, which makes their opinions even less valid (if they were even valid to begin with!)

As for the haters, well, I have lived all over the country and traveled throughout the world. I always suggest that when someone finds the perfect place to live, they should share it with everyone.

Of all the places I have lived, Florida has been the best so far. That's not to say it's perfect, because it's not. But for me the compromises have been good enough to meet my needs and desires for now. That may change in the future, but even if it does that doesn't suddenly make it a bad place. A lot has changed in the 20 or so years I have lived here, and not all for the good. But the basic stuff I care about is still in place. And progress will occur wherever you live, so the idea of returning to someplace that you recall as being wonderful may not pan out once the changes have taken place.

RM

Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 AM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonr View Post
true, however, there are certain participants in the forum who actively troll these threads to do nothing more than spread their venom. Why, i have no idea. Don't feed the trolls, folks - and we all know who they are.

It's always good to have observations and experiences from differing viewpoints, but when it's to accomplish nothing more than complain, especially when much of what it said is opinion and not factual or worse yet, fallacious, it takes away from the conversation. Add to this the fact that a good number of these members don't live in the area, which makes their opinions even less valid (if they were even valid to begin with!)

as for the haters, well, i have lived all over the country and traveled throughout the world. I always suggest that when someone finds the perfect place to live, they should share it with everyone.

Of all the places i have lived, florida has been the best so far. That's not to say it's perfect, because it's not. But for me the compromises have been good enough to meet my needs and desires for now. That may change in the future, but even if it does that doesn't suddenly make it a bad place. A lot has changed in the 20 or so years i have lived here, and not all for the good. But the basic stuff i care about is still in place. And progress will occur wherever you live, so the idea of returning to someplace that you recall as being wonderful may not pan out once the changes have taken place.

Rm

Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
Just because a person is unhappy here or feels (knows) the wages are low doesn't necessarily mean they lack charisma and work ethic. It's okay to be unhappy here or miss "home" or want to move back. Normal people with fantastic jobs and incomes in the top 1% can also feel this way. Everyone has the right to.

People on this site call others out and basically insult them when they have an opinion (or post something factual or an actual experience) that is different than their own. Let people talk. Let others listen without shooting the messenger. Everyone has the right to feel one way or the other about life in FL. It doesn't mean they are a degenerate or a miserable person. They shouldn't be subject to insults and mass generalizations.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that some of you love it here and wouldn't call anywhere else home. I hope to be among you one day. But, in the meantime, you won't find me trolling your threads and insulting you because you truly cannot speak to the experiences of someone who is just starting out, or someone who moved here for a great job opportunity and didn't fall in love instantly. Just like it's perfectly acceptable to love FL and be a lovely, intelligent person, it's also possible to find FL unappealing and still be just as upstanding. Cyber bullying someone because they are unhappy or were truly dealt a bad hand is a new kind of low.
It really isnt the unhappiness but the extremely ridiculous level those who want to be elsewhere post.
Nobody is insulting or bullying anyone. Its a matter of rebutting the details some post that have no value to anyone and are in fact quite over the top. This phenomenon repeats itself for every poster who had a bad time while living, or trying to live in Florida. Its fine when people "talk" but the endless river of complaints from the same poster becomes quite ridiculous. Are there "shady" people in Florida? Certainly. They exist everywhere in the world. Nobody ever states what personal experience they had to come to the conclusion. Is it "hot a humid 10 months of the year", for some it could be found to be so but actual data shows that to be untrue. "The schools suck". Sure. Some do. Read the independent reports an d find out which ones suck. "the traffic is insane". Yes, during rush hours traffic can be difficult especially when there is an accident on a major road. "The rents are high". Yes they are. "Low paying jobs". Compared to where? Prevailing wages for a particular occupation would be the first thing I would check and verify before giving any further consideration to a place I may want to live.

It's never "hi gang. Just want everyone to know I want to leave FL, I dont like FL, I wish I never moved to FL. (and then specific reasons why)" Instead it is a constant barrage of the same trash time after time.

When someone, like myself, posts links to reliable information that discredits trash posts it is considered bullying or insulting I invite people to look at traffic cameras, historical and current weather facts, I post statistical data that is backed by reliable sources, I invite people to compare the weekly supermarket flyers for their area against local FL stores, I post actual school rating links, sheriff's crime logs, anything that provides a reader of this forum an avenue to review and research actuality vs. dribble. A lot of times I get back comments that discredit credible information because it is not in line with their thoughts.

Lots of people read these forums in hopes of getting true and reliable information and pointing out the differences between truth and trash is important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay