Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 23,729 times

Advertisements

I find the Publix stores that I have been in to be quite satisfactory for grocery needs.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I was amazed we had more then one page on the last thread. I just want to see if we can be 48 pages!!
I stumbled across that thread and wasted an over an hour of my day off skimming it. Very entertaining though. I wanted to reply so bad but it was closed. So may I do that here?

What the OP of that thread failed to mention is that Kroger also lost its sale streak at the same time. And it was a 13 year streak as opposed to Publix losing its 8 year streak! So is Kroger on the brink of collapse too?

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...reak-ends.html

Possible causes?
Food cost deflation
Easter being in Q2

Yes, there is increasing competition in Florida, but Publix has also gained market share in Charlotte, it's newest region.

Should one rough quarter have Publix’s management concerned? – RetailWire

Wegmans looks like an amazing store, and I would love to visit one someday. I'm sure it lives up to the hype. It will be interesting to have Publix and Wegmans in the same areas in NC and VA. However, while most people are taking sides like this is FSU vs. UF football, it seems like people in the industry think that both stores will be fine. They say the OTHER chains have a lot to be worried about with Publix's arrival. Isn't that how Publix grew in Atlanta? Kroger was the king, but there was a very diverse market of other stores. Then Publix came to town and 15-20 years later, it's pretty much only Kroger and Publix when it comes to your everyday grocery stores.

Publix and Wegmans to compete head on – RetailWire

I also thought it was interesting how when someone would bring up Kroger or a European chain or something, the OP would say "this is about Publix. Start another thread if you want to talk about someone else" but when someone said not to mention Wegmans, the OP say "Wegmans shall not be censored" or something like that. It makes me believe the "shill" conspiracy others mentioned may be true. LOL

Last edited by boy3365; 05-29-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 01:21 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
.....I posted that in the other, now-locked Publix thread. I noticed that they're also in other states - I think I saw them in Alabama (or Georgia) while traveling through.....I hope the store doesn't over-extend.
Publix is approaching the store count that Winn-Dixie peaked at in the 1990's. Publix's footprint is currently Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Winn-Dixie had more stores spread into Louisiana, Mississippi, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.

I project Publix will continue to increase its store count in its current footprint, including Virginia, and likely expand into states contiguous to its footprint.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To be honest, it was mostly Floridians that voted their own store #1 since the majority of the Publix stores are still in our own state. I can see why "Floridians" voted Publix #1 since the other options in the state are mostly horrible. That said, there's no way on Earth that Publix is even close to best store in America.
Publix is among the better supermarkets in the states in operates in.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I moved back to Michigan from Clearwater and I tell you what Kroger is way better than Publix bigger, better selection, fresher produce, they have a Starbucks and a bank in the Kroger by me. The aisles are wider and the store is very clean, and they have plenty of self serve registers. And I also have Meijer it's like a super Walmart without the auto service. Also both have gas stations and pharmacies witch makes it very convenient. Also prices are way cheaper than Publix. And guess what Kroger is a union supermarket.
Kroger has Marketplace hypermarket stores among its banners to compete with other hypermarkets Meijer and Walmart Supercenter.

Publix had PIX convenience stores up to 2013. Fuel sales can be tight.

Publix, as of today, operates 1,041 in-store pharmacies in 1,148 stores.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:10 PM

261 posts, read 260,940 times
Carolina you are dead on! Moved from Tampa Bay Fl (lived in Brandon, St Pete and Largo) and relocated to Lexington Kentucky last summer, After living in Tampa Bay 15 years and after going to Publix 200 plus times in that 15 year period. I could tell you The closest Publix is 190 miles away in Pigeon Forge, TN and im not upset in the least. . The Kroger marketplace is much better than Publix. Grocery's much cheaper, stores with wider isles and they have the awesome Coupon app. The only thing better at Publix than Kroger is the deli. A lot more 55 and up workers at Publix then Kroger. So from the experts perspective pub-lix might have better customer service not dealing with young kids all the time. But especially in Florida publix knows how to tap the older workforce to its benefit! But no doubt Kroger by far the better prices on most items!

Old 06-01-2017, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 9,239 times
@paradiselost,

I hate to break this to you, but most loyal PUBLIX SUPERMAKET customers do NOT SHOP at their local PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS for "price" alone. Publix is PUBLIX BECAUSE of customer service which second to none. Period. They don't necessarily shop there for "coupons" or special purchase SKU's. By comparison, the employees of any Winn Dixie or a Kroger, Walmart and ALDi, are braindead and indifferent. My take, my experience.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:58 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypyou View Post
@paradiselost,

I hate to break this to you, but most loyal PUBLIX SUPERMAKET customers do NOT SHOP at their local PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS for "price" alone. Publix is PUBLIX BECAUSE of customer service which second to none. Period. They don't necessarily shop there for "coupons" or special purchase SKU's. By comparison, the employees of any Winn Dixie or a Kroger, Walmart and ALDi, are braindead and indifferent. My take, my experience.
Publix customer service consists of a smile, all the while they are laughing inside at the customer for paying stupid high prices.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Sounds like someone has an agenda. Shill for the company?

Old 06-02-2017, 05:59 AM

9 posts, read 9,239 times
I'll state this clearly as I can. Loyal PUBLIX SUPERMARKET customers spend, and continue to spend their dollars, month in, month out, year after year, decade after decade because of well-above just "average" customer service - because of their PEOPLE - not simply based on PRICE. One would have to be pretty dense or indifferent to the truth about their successful business model not to see, and acknowledge that.

A Walmart or an ALDi customer is NOT the targeted customer for Publix Supermarkets.

Similarly all banking customers are not targeted the same, i.e. based on "price" of goods and services. Let me give you an example. Bank of America is one of the largest, omnipresent banks in the US..... Northern Trust is not, but both are "banks". So is say Harris. A Northern Trust customer or a Harris banking customer wouldn't walk in any Bank of America for anything - they aren't the same customer profile although all of the banks offer similar services and products.

I have no axe to grind about PUBLIX. They don't need me to be some sort of booster on the web. They're doing just fine.

I simply understand business, marketing and their business model that is evolving especially outside the Florida region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay