Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:00 AM

35 posts, read 44,124 times

Advertisements

So i want to move to St Petersburg but wont have a car for awhile, is it safe to walk around morning and night there and easy to get around on foot? I am looking at some apt rentals on Craigslist near 6th and 4th st. Also wanted to know what the college vibe is like there and if people got southern charm there or if its mostly new yorkers, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
With publix downtown and all the banks and things, you should be pretty ok living downtown without a car. Its a very nice downtown and not full of people from NY, there are lots of transplants but many locals who have lived here all their lives. College is right in the town, if you are attending USF, young people from there are out at night, in the bars nearby, around central.
Nice area to sit and enjoy waterfront, easy walk from classes, if its college you are attending I think you will like it. Small town feel, not overwhelming. Apartment rentals are expensive though. Decent ones around $800-$1000 if you are sharing a 2/2 or $1200-$1800 for a 1/1 in the nicer ones. Private rentals a little less, but if its really cheap, I can almost guarantee its awful.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiultra View Post
So i want to move to St Petersburg but wont have a car for awhile, is it safe to walk around morning and night there and easy to get around on foot? I am looking at some apt rentals on Craigslist near 6th and 4th st. Also wanted to know what the college vibe is like there and if people got southern charm there or if its mostly new yorkers, thanks!
I could definitely live in that area ---not sure if you bike, but STP is becoming more and more bike friendly. Walking is easy as well. There are a lot of homeless roaming the streets/parks in the downtown area and crime a few neighborhoods away - but I'm always down near the small airport and marina area running during the weekends and always feel safe - as well as going to Rays games and walking around the stadium. I think that area is a good area with lots to do. Downtown Sarasota is similar - also a beautiful place to live.

Last edited by TBMorgan; 08-15-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM

88 posts, read 108,541 times
Sure you should be fine without a car. Worst case there are always Uber and Lyft around if you need and I think I read something they are bringing scooters to St. Pete, but you should pretty much be able to walk to most things if you choose the right area. College Vibe is nice, but not too crazy.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys, the place im looking is an efficiency for 900/mo so i hope not sketchy, also since Tampa is lightning capital is it easy to find shelter if caught in a storm? I didnt know if St pete had as bad storms since so close to Tampa... dont wanna get fried like that guy last week RIP

Old 08-16-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiultra View Post
Thanks guys, the place im looking is an efficiency for 900/mo so i hope not sketchy, also since Tampa is lightning capital is it easy to find shelter if caught in a storm? I didnt know if St pete had as bad storms since so close to Tampa... dont wanna get fried like that guy last week RIP
Oh yes, STP gets the same storms as Tampa. The whole region is pretty much the same. The place very well could be sketchy but is very near high rent places just a few blocks away. There is a large homeless population as I mentioned. You'll have to be diligent/situational aware of things going on around you to be sure.

Yes, the lightning/thunderstorms are here. This summer seems to have been worse. There are a places you can escape to - businesses mostly like CVS/Publix/airport as well as some areas downtown with overhead protection - but you definitely don't want to be out wandering or running around during the lightning storms.

Weather apps/radar for your phone might be something to download. Another thing is that it's darn hot/humid 9 months out of the year - so keeping hydrated/cool is a task, especially if you're going to be out and about using the bus.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-18-2019 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM

Regarding the campus feel. I don't get on the USF STP campus that often to say what the vibe is. Doesn't have your typical college town feel. Kind of an unusual campus location .....I don't get that new yawker vibe though. The Dali, Morsani, Rowdies, Sat market, free yoga at Sundial is all nearby. Lots of restaurants, couple of very nice parks. $900 month is rather inexpensive. Elect utility can be steep for a/c. Sounds like inexpensive living though.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Wow thanks for your thoroughness and thoughtfulness @tbmorgan!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Im so scared to take the plunge but i gotta move from a divorce by next Saturday, i have lived in very safe places like Maui but i was bored outta my mind with no night life and every girl just visiting island so no meaningful relationship... so i guess safety cant be everything? Do you need a jacket at all in St Pete? I use to live in Destin FL and felt fine during day but as soon as night hit i was freezing! Even in April! Thin Blooded transient Floridian Lol

Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,305 times
No jacket needed except on rare occasions, nights can be cool, occasionally we get a freeze warning, but really nothing like a heavy jacket on a regular basis. But you may need one to travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay