Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:16 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
TL;DR - It's clearly a cop out. ... if there is enough growth to have too much work, there is enough $$$ being collected in permit fees to hire more inspectors.
That is for the citizens of that municipality to take up with their governmental leaders. The Building Inspections Departments have their budgets which are not much different from any other operation where monies are apportioned for various purposes such as employee pay, etc. The monies collected from permit fees are not directly controlled by the Building Inspections Departments. If the citizens of the municipalities became involved sufficiently, whether by becoming cognizant of and involved in government spending or by mass filing of complaints about shoddy building, then change might occur. Until the citizens of the municipalities become involved nothing will change much.

It is what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 06:45 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
The list is loooooooong of the issues we had. Still waiting for many to be addressed... They have you by the tail, when you need to close or otherwise be homeless. Building in FL was a nightmare (have built other places as well)... Would never do it again here.
I once remember working on a home close to the home closing. The new homeowner to be was talking with the superintendent about a wall in the kitchen that was clearly crooked. She asked what he was going to do to fix it. He stood silent for about 3 minutes then came up with this gem. "I see what your saying, That wall appears to be crooked, actually its what we call an optical illusion from the light refracting from the kitchen window". I quickly walked out of the room, while the homeowner stood in disbelief.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 AM

124 posts, read 124,615 times
I would assume that during housing boom times, builders, and inspectors pay less attention to codes. I say that without even being cynical enough to accuse the inspectors of taking money to ignore them. On that note, my home built in 1998 has interior walls that are 24 inch on center. Was that allowed then?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM

428 posts, read 416,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
I would assume that during housing boom times, builders, and inspectors pay less attention to codes. I say that without even being cynical enough to accuse the inspectors of taking money to ignore them. On that note, my home built in 1998 has interior walls that are 24 inch on center. Was that allowed then?
I don't know why it wouldn't be "allowed"... Homes decades ago were constructed with 24" being standard. Only time I would think about it maybe being an issue would be whether you have a two story home and where your load bearing walls are... ??? 🤔

Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM

428 posts, read 416,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I once remember working on a home close to the home closing. The new homeowner to be was talking with the superintendent about a wall in the kitchen that was clearly crooked. She asked what he was going to do to fix it. He stood silent for about 3 minutes then came up with this gem. "I see what your saying, That wall appears to be crooked, actually its what we call an optical illusion from the light refracting from the kitchen window". I quickly walked out of the room, while the homeowner stood in disbelief.
Rediculous.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
That sounds like a home that was under construction in Starkey (Odessa/Trinity)
I pointed out how crooked the wall was and the construction manager also said it was the light and optical illusion.

The cap between stove top and wrong cut kitchen countertop could just be filled in with caulk...I said “caulk?” And then the construction manager said well we actually have some other stuff but I told him you said “caulk and we are talking about a $700,000 home. Even for a $100,000 home it would be bad!

A day later buyer received a letter that escrow would be returned and builder would not sell to them.

Buyers are now living across from the original home they expected to buy and this one is built by different builder and was the model home with all whistles and bells.

In this case the County Inspector was a huge asset as he was part of the resolution so there are also great Inspector s.

I always feel sorry if an entire profession gets trashed/bashes due to some rotten apples.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 AM

124 posts, read 124,615 times
Default Code 16 on center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
I don't know why it wouldn't be "allowed"... Homes decades ago were constructed with 24" being standard. Only time I would think about it maybe being an issue would be whether you have a two story home and where your load bearing walls are... ??? 🤔
I said "allowed" because I thought code was 16" on centrer and 24" was an older code. I guess my question is, what is the code now for studs, and has it changed?

Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That sounds like a home that was under construction in Starkey (Odessa/Trinity)
I pointed out how crooked the wall was and the construction manager also said it was the light and optical illusion.

The cap between stove top and wrong cut kitchen countertop could just be filled in with caulk...I said “caulk?” And then the construction manager said well we actually have some other stuff but I told him you said “caulk and we are talking about a $700,000 home. Even for a $100,000 home it would be bad!

A day later buyer received a letter that escrow would be returned and builder would not sell to them.

Buyers are now living across from the original home they expected to buy and this one is built by different builder and was the model home with all whistles and bells.

In this case the County Inspector was a huge asset as he was part of the resolution so there are also great Inspector s.

I always feel sorry if an entire profession gets trashed/bashes due to some rotten apples.
There are many good Building Inspections Department personnel out there trying to make a difference. Sometimes they can but even the Building Inspectors can only be spread so far. The current system is mostly to blame for what occurs. It's all about money and increasing the property tax base! I fully believe that 99.99% of all Building Inspectors start in their jobs wanting to make a positive difference. Few know how "The System" actually works and many leave when they see that "The System" cares more about increasing the property tax base than actually seeing good construction occur.

Consumers who are affected by this will naturally trash the entire profession as it is easier than becoming involved to correct it. Only the consumers can have "The System" changed!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
It would have depended on multiple factors the most important being whether they were bearing or non-bearing walls. Other factors include:
  • Stud dimensions.
  • Stud height
  • If bearing how many floors above
For example a 2 X 6 stud, equal or less than 10' in height, in a bearing wall, supporting no more than a roof and ceiling assembly could have been approved for up to 24" On Center spacing. There may also be regional requirements that would need to be reviewed to determine if it was allowed. The local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ or Building Inspections Department) might also have requirements that could reduce that spacing.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 AM

BTW we were just discussing the issue of how building issues are allowed to slide in this post on an international Inspectors association bulletin board. This is a good example why consumers need to make sure they have their own Third Party inspections performed. It is also a good example why consumers need to make their voices heard to change the system for their own protection.

Re: Post tension help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay