Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 AM

296 posts, read 658,845 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am moving to Tampa Bay from Cleveland later this year and I am looking for a place to rent for a year or two before I am ready to buy.

I am hoping to land somewhere in St. Pete or Clearwater as I prefer the Pinellas side to Tampa. I am in my early 30s and will be living alone (my girlfriend lives in Orlando and will be staying with me frequently) and I have no pets. I prefer houses compared to apartments but I am open to either. My budget is about $2k a month but I'd prefer to stay at $1.5 or less.

I have found a few places in "Greater Woodlawn" St. Pete but I am unsure if this is a nice neighborhood. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 AM

163 posts, read 184,008 times
Greater Woodlawn is a wonderful neighborhood and probably one of the closest "nice" neighborhoods near downtown St. Pete where you'll find a house (vs apartment) in your budget. It's very safe, walkable to a number of coffee shops and grocery stores, and is a straight shot to downtown St. Pete. You might be able to find something in Historic Uptown, which is closer to downtown and very walkable. Both excellent choices for a first place to live in St. Pete. Since you have no kids or pets, consider a townhome, duplex, or multi-family housing, which will definitely increase your options but will also not involve living in a big, noisy apartment complex.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
Greater Woodlawn is a wonderful neighborhood and probably one of the closest "nice" neighborhoods near downtown St. Pete where you'll find a house (vs apartment) in your budget. It's very safe, walkable to a number of coffee shops and grocery stores, and is a straight shot to downtown St. Pete. You might be able to find something in Historic Uptown, which is closer to downtown and very walkable. Both excellent choices for a first place to live in St. Pete. Since you have no kids or pets, consider a townhome, duplex, or multi-family housing, which will definitely increase your options but will also not involve living in a big, noisy apartment complex.
This is awesome advice, thanks!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 PM

67 posts, read 60,708 times
In terms of Clearwater you might want to avoid north Clearwater as in the downtown and close to Edgewater Drive .There's too many issues to address in a public forum. However the Countryside area is nicer,safer and farther east in Pinellas County.Dunedin isn't too bad for renters as opposed for homeowners.Downtown St Pete has brand new apts where you can walk everywhere yet a few block north or south of Central Ave isn't as safe.A family member rented a home in a multi family unit that had nothing but issues.It was a lovely home from the outside and 1 block from Mirror Lake but it wasn't safe.Drive around before you decide.Youll learn a lot that way.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Does anyone have any info on the crescent lake neighborhood? Finding some good deals there, around 5th Ave N.

Thansk!

Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM

67 posts, read 60,708 times
Having been well acquainted with Cleveland & it's suburbs I'd ask what area of Cleveland are you from and do you want something similar to that here in FL? The Hyde Park area has charming brick apt buildings that remind us of Cleveland Heights. Dunedin,St Pete and Safety Harbor have downtown's & can give you that small town feel if you're looking for that. Seminole is close to the beach and Pinellas Trail if you want to be outside more but mostly it's a quiet area.I find Clearwater to be a peculiar mix of things,few are enticing. Seminole Hts is like a combo of west Cleveland & the urban. parts of Lakewood. It really depends on your age,interests and lifestyle as to the kind of experience you want to have.Hope this helps with a bit of perspective.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:18 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Greenwood is rough.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:01 PM

163 posts, read 184,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Does anyone have any info on the crescent lake neighborhood? Finding some good deals there, around 5th Ave N.

Thansk!
My response may be too late, but 5th Ave N. is not in Crescent Lake. Did you mean 5th St. N? Crescent Lake is a fantastic area, extremely safe, a great mix of families, retirees, empty-nesters, and childless couples of all ages. You can walk to a lot of restaurants and coffee shops, and downtown and Tampa Bay are only 10 blocks away. It's well-insulated from the crowds of downtown and Old Northeast and is safer and less transitional than Historic Uptown. If you meant 5th St. N, that side of the lake is almost all condos, apartments, and townhomes, some much nicer than others, and it's a huge mix of different ages and demographics (but very few, if any, children live on that side). Crescent Lake Apartments look kind of old and run down (but not unsightly, sketchy, or unsafe), but they have a great lake view and are surrounded by $500K+ townhomes and garden homes (mostly older people live in those).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay