Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,848 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are hoping to relocate to the Tampa Bay area in early 2021. We currently live in the North East but my husband grew up in Valrico and his family are still local. We typically spend a few weeks a year in Valrico/Tampa/St.Pete so I know the region fairly well but now that we are committed to making the move, we are trying to decided which neighborhood/area is right for us. I have been researching areas online but, honestly, its hard to get a sense of things without talking to people who live there. We have talked with our family/friends who live there but, when we ask for advice they just say we should move next door to them so not very helpful.

Here is what we are looking for:

I would love to find a place with a strong sense of community (somewhere with community events, farmers markets, flea markets, holiday festivities)....I know there are not a lot of stereotypical 'American Main Streets' in FL like we have in Northern towns but I would love to find a home that captures a similar sense of community (even if it looks a bit different then what I am use too).

I am thinking St. Pete might fit the bill but not sure if there are other areas folks might recommend! We are also thinking downtown Lakeland could be an interesting option. I have also heard Seminole Heights and sections of Tampa Heights are in the early stages of 'up and coming'...but getting pretty mixed messages about that so not certain (although some of the older craftsman homes there are very cool!)

On the more practical side:
- Homes $250K - $350K
- Commute is not an issue as we both work from home so we can cast a pretty big net!
- Ideally within 45min to an airport (I travel alot for work --- when we are not in a global pandemic!)
- Good schools (7+ rating on Great Schools -- Im just using this because it is what Zillow uses but I have heard that Florida uses a letter grade system but not sure where to access that information). We don't have kids just yet but hoping to in the next year (fingers crossed) so this is on my mind.
- Would prefer an area with single family homes.

A little bit about us:
- We are both professionals in our early 30's
- We do enjoy checking out new bars/restaurants/shops (although definitely not interested in nightlife at this stage of life).

I have gone through a lot of posts in the forum so have some ideas, but just curious what everyone would recommend based on our specific interests. I apologize for the long post, but figure the more information the better the recommendations!

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 12:38 PM

111 posts, read 107,468 times
Wait for Morton´s answer; he´s (or she´s) your go to guy. Listen to what he says and take the advice...

Oh BTW, have you used the search function? LOTS of the same questions as you are looking for. We are living in the area (north Tampa), and looking also for something like that. Hard to find a good school area and also nice "main street" feeling.
Especially I have hard times finding good Elementary, Middle and High Schools (in the same area). Sometime you have excellent Elementary schools (according to the ratings), and then the Middle/high schools sucks (also only according to the ratings!).

Areas with nice schools:
- Lutz, Westley Chapel, Fishhawk (expensive, I dont know why?), Odessa, Citrus Park. Tarpon Springs/Palm Harbor.

I also assume that if you use the airport once a week (in and out); it doesnt matter whether you are 40 or 60 mins away (compared to if you went there every day)...

Good luck

Old 09-20-2020, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,848 times
Thank you! I will look out for a post from Morton!

I have noticed that about the schools, the Great School ratings are kinda all over the place so a bit tricky to know!

Thanks for the list of areas, a few have been on my research list so this is helpful to know I am on the right track!

As for the airport, give or take 45 min would be ideal simply because I Uber frequently to get to the airport. With using ride shares, that 15 minutes extra in cost adds up quiet a lot over time, its certainly not a deal breaker if it is closer to 60 min, but less would be preferred.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:47 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,422,249 times
Morton here.

First of all, dump the Great Schools thing. Like many of the ratings sites, it can be played. You want data? Go to the Florida Department of Education web site and look at the raw school data with ratings. That's the real deal without the soccer moms tilting the field.

Initially I would say Fishhawk Creek and the surrounding area, where there is a boatload of new development going on. You might be hard pressed to find what you want in Fishhawk itself, but there are developments going up around there along Boyette Road that might be more in your price range. If you do, be darned sure you check the attendance zones on the Hillsborough County Schools web site. You can be in Fishhawk and not be in their schools due to some recent and pending redistricting.

If you're not dead set on new construction and would consider a home in the 15-20 year old range, look at Bloomingdale East. Established area that's been around for a while, but in the southern portion you'll find the newest homes and some good values with excellent schools, although the middle and high schools aren't as good as Newsome and Randall (Fishhawk).

TPA is an easy 35-45 minute drive depending on time of day from this area.

Plenty of good restaurants and microbreweries/pubs in the area.

Caveats:

Be careful if you look at a community (like Fishhawk) with a "CDD". A CDD is what pays for and maintains the common areas. CDD fees can add a significant amount onto your house payment, easily $2000+ more a year. This pays for all those nice plantings, walking trails, community pool, etc., etc. You'll have HOA fees on top of that as well, but they are typically much less.

Newer communities typically mean a younger set of owners with young children, which tends to give you that "community" that you're looking for. I live in an area that's roughly 20 years old, and we're now seeing the second generation of young families start to replace the older folks moving out (that's us) whose children are now adults and have moved on.

Good luck!

RM

Old 09-23-2020, 09:00 PM

43 posts, read 76,154 times
Morton R is right on the money. I have been doing research in the Tampa area for well over a year. We looked from Clearwater to Wesley Chapel to Fishhawk. We landed (or going to be landing in Fishhawk). We just signed a contract to build our house in The Preserve. Great schools and exactly that neighborhood feel you are taking about.

If you are looking to build, there doesn't seem to want many lots left in all of Fishhawk, (I could be wrong) but there are a lot of great re-sale housing.

we cant wait to get down there, we will be renting for about a year (maybe a little more) while the house is being built.
We have 4 kids and the schools seem to be the best (based on a years worth of research, visits and other opinions).

Good luck

Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,422,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning22 View Post
Morton R is right on the money.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning22 View Post
We have 4 kids and the schools seem to be the best (based on a years worth of research, visits and other opinions).

Good luck
I used to work for the school district in an administrative role, and Bevis, Fishhawk Creek, Randall and Newsome were all schools I was responsible for. Some of the best in the District, and I say that without bias.

Good luck!

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay