Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 51,628 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new to this site. I found it as I was searching for more info on the Tampa/Clearwater area. I am from a suburb of Detroit and we are planning on moving to your area in the next few months. I was noticing that there are a lot of properties for sale in Spring Hill. Like a TON of them. I was wondering if anyone can tell me why everyone is leaving Spring Hill? I asked a realtor there and all he told me was that people want to be closer to Tampa so they don't have to commute as far? I'm not sure I buy that totally. Anyone with any info would be appreciated. Also, what's a good city to live in for a family with 4 kids ages 1 year - 12 years, and not too pricey? We can't afford any more than $160,000 to spend on a home. I have been doing so much research my eyes hurt from being on this computer so much. I guess it would help if I've actually ever been there, but I've never been any further south than Ohio! All the pictures I've seen here are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 AM

713 posts, read 2,669,451 times
Coming from Detroit, S. Hill will seem like paradise. Quaint town with room to grow. In the path of progress,

I'll let the others tell you more. E-mailed you w/some info.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
Most people who live in Springhill take the Suncoast Parkway to Tampa in 40 minutes so i don't buy that reason why they are leaving either. There isn't much in between Springhill and Tampa along the Suncoast Parkway to live until you actually get to Tampa. There is no big money jobs in Springhill so most people DO travel to Tampa but i don't think they want to live in Tampa because it's more expensive down there. My husband grew up in Springhill and his parents are still there. There are TONS of foreclosures. Springhill has a history of many Sinkholes a few years back making it nearly impossible to find home insurance or having to pay an outrageous price. I live in Citrus county just 30 minutes north of Springhill. Inverness is a nice family town and all the schools are pretty good. The elementary school and high school are next door to each other making it great for kids in multiple grade levels and the middle school is 1 mile away. We have lakes in the middle of town with nice boardwalks for walking, fishing, biking trail, etc. There are many homes for sale in your price range around here but the reason is because builders built so many new homes a couple years ago and they are still sitting empty so they are selling for cheap prices.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
The reason there are so many homes available is because like other areas, the builders and investors overbuilt.
Over 25% of the homes for sale are 2004 or newer.

You can easily find a good home in the $140K-$160K range.

The realtor that said people want to be closer to Tampa is off the mark. While there may be some people that do, the majority move here because it is not right near Tampa.
You are 45 minutes from Tampa airport but still far enough away where you have room to stretch out.

I have also been very happy with the schools here though I have heard some parents complain about some of the other schools in the area. You will just need to be aware of which school zone you were in if you decided to live here.

Overall I have been very happy here and I think it is a good area to raise a family.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Most people who live in Springhill take the Suncoast Parkway to Tampa in 40 minutes so i don't buy that reason why they are leaving either. There isn't much in between Springhill and Tampa along the Suncoast Parkway to live until you actually get to Tampa. There is no big money jobs in Springhill so most people DO travel to Tampa but i don't think they want to live in Tampa because it's more expensive down there. My husband grew up in Springhill and his parents are still there. There are TONS of foreclosures. Springhill has a history of many Sinkholes a few years back making it nearly impossible to find home insurance or having to pay an outrageous price. I live in Citrus county just 30 minutes north of Springhill. Inverness is a nice family town and all the schools are pretty good. The elementary school and high school are next door to each other making it great for kids in multiple grade levels and the middle school is 1 mile away. We have lakes in the middle of town with nice boardwalks for walking, fishing, biking trail, etc. There are many homes for sale in your price range around here but the reason is because builders built so many new homes a couple years ago and they are still sitting empty so they are selling for cheap prices.
I don't want this thread to get off track but insurance is not hard to get here and it is not outrageously expensive. I pay under $700 for $335K in coverage.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM

105 posts, read 200,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't want this thread to get off track but insurance is not hard to get here and it is not outrageously expensive. I pay under $700 for $335K in coverage.
wow can't beat that - is that with or without sinkhole coverage?

Hernando county (Spring Hill) is notorious for sink holes. Actually, it's been in the national news several time especially in 2006 when...several newer homes in the same neighborhood have been damaged by sinkhole activity! Florida in general has this problem but some areas are much more prone to it than others.... has to do with the "clay" I went thru a lenghty class.... and one reason other than its in the middle of nowhere.... spring hill is so cheap is due to the known sinkhole activities! One good thing thus far... homeowner's insurance covers it... well make sure you get a policy with it!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 AM

Oh, and did I mention I think Spring Hill area is a true bubble area? For years, Hernando County was a refuge for retirees. But in 2004/2005, home values had doubled and speculators had overbuilt like you wouldn't believe. They are running about an 18 month inventory of new (what I define as 2005-2006 built and plus) houses, and that's just what's in the MLS. That number doesn't include the hundreds of builder spec homes, FSBOs, and homes still under construction.
And their main industry up there in Spring Hill is, you guessed it, housing. They don't have much of a local economy save for service & retail. They don't manufacture much to my knowledge, and people certainly don't move here for the job prospects. They lost a lof their Tampa area commuter-buyers once the gas hit over $3/gallon. and not even talking about now almost being $ 4. So unless you are moving here to retire or won the lottery and dont need a job I would suggest try somewhere else! Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_tampa View Post
wow can't beat that - is that with or without sinkhole coverage?

Hernando county (Spring Hill) is notorious for sink holes. Actually, it's been in the national news several time especially in 2006 when...several newer homes in the same neighborhood have been damaged by sinkhole activity! Florida in general has this problem but some areas are much more prone to it than others.... has to do with the "clay" I went thru a lenghty class.... and one reason other than its in the middle of nowhere.... spring hill is so cheap is due to the known sinkhole activities! One good thing thus far... homeowner's insurance covers it... well make sure you get a policy with it!
The $700 is with the catastropic coverage not the comprehensive.

There are areas within Spring Hill that are bad for sinkholes just as there are bad areas in Pasco and Pinellas.

It is the voids in the limestone that cause sinkholes. Clay overlays the limestone and will wash in when one forms but is not the cause.

As far as the middle of nowhere and being so cheap because of sinkholes I really think you need to take a drive up this way so you have a better understanding of where Spring Hill is.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
As far as the middle of nowhere and being so cheap because of sinkholes I really think you need to take a drive up this way so you have a better understanding of where Spring Hill is.
trust me being a buyers agent I know where spring hill is! and it wasn't supposed to be a negative comment some people prefer the "middle of nowhere" or per say the rural areas others don't.... thats all

Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_tampa View Post
Oh, and did I mention I think Spring Hill area is a true bubble area? For years, Hernando County was a refuge for retirees. But in 2004/2005, home values had doubled and speculators had overbuilt like you wouldn't believe. They are running about an 18 month inventory of new (what I define as 2005-2006 built and plus) houses, and that's just what's in the MLS. That number doesn't include the hundreds of builder spec homes, FSBOs, and homes still under construction.
And their main industry up there in Spring Hill is, you guessed it, housing. They don't have much of a local economy save for service & retail. They don't manufacture much to my knowledge, and people certainly don't move here for the job prospects. They lost a lof their Tampa area commuter-buyers once the gas hit over $3/gallon. and not even talking about now almost being $ 4. So unless you are moving here to retire or won the lottery and dont need a job I would suggest try somewhere else! Good luck!
Gosh, If I lived in Spring Hill (I don't) I wouldn't want you as my selling agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay