Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,512 times

Advertisements

We left after 4 mos. Yes, we did our homework, but if you recall a few years back, there were signs up and down Cortez, promising all kinds of stores, development etc. Then all the signs came down and nada. One realtor agreed and said it seemed like a scam. And all the impact fees on 1,000's of new homes. Where did they go when street lights were one of the things promised and not delivered. Cortez is so dark and where we bought, we learned there's an arsonist about and cop cars were down our way responding to problems on a reg. basis.

Also, with my work, I needed a bookstore, culture, creative stimulation. We have three huge book stores and about eight Star$ where creative people hang. The one book store they have in SH is a used book store with hardly any titles and it closes so early. Actually, the whole town closes early.

Asked for something at the local health store and they took two weeks to get it. Here we have several health food stores and-- You get my meaning.

The town just wasn't making it for us. Maybe having a second home there to get away would be fine but to each his own. Others like it and that's fine.

Last edited by House4Sale; 08-09-2008 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 AM

34 posts, read 120,370 times
Default Elaborate on Brooksville..... For Fassvak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassvak View Post
PLease elabore why Brooksville is a whole different story than Spring Hill?

In my opinion....

Brooksville is a "deep south" kind of town. The people (in general) who live there are "deep south" kind of people. Frankly, they do not care too much for northerners (i.e. ME). Brooksville is a very old town with very deep roots and they seem to want to keep it that way. I applied for a job there once, a retail job. I was asked if I could "deal with the people here". I had to question that as I had been living in FL for 17 years at that point. When I questioned it I was told "Spring Hill people are different from Brooksville people". I do agree.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:55 PM

13 posts, read 61,838 times
Smile Life In Spring Hill

I moved to Spring hill Florida against my will in 1983 when I was 12 years old, a city girl from Brooklyn new York, and I was in absolute culture shock, and I have hated it here every day of my life since, but for some reason, I am always drawn back here. I have moved from here several times just to find myself living here again.

Well, this place has gone through some serious changes since 1983. The construction of retail stores, restaurants and expressway to Tampa are a huge deal if you didn't know what this place looked like in 1983.

When I first moved here, the Mcdonalds on U.S. 19, in the old k-mart parking lot, was having its grand opening. K-mart and McDonalds and a couple of super markets were all that was here.

Everything was two lanes. Mariner Blvd, going toward Hwy 50, was so dead to traffic, and we used to play in the street for hours with only one car driving by.

It was a really big retirement community and your money went really far back then.

My parents built this huge house. The pool alone for that time was something you see in Beverly Hills, CA today, and it only cost $12,000 which was considered crazy. The pool I just put in cost $40,000, and it is half the size.

Well after all these years of hating Florida and Spring Hill, I have come to the realization that if I were retired and I didn't have to commute to Tampa using the Suncoast Parkway everyday, I would probably like it here, but I have to earn a living, so I leave my house in Seven Hills by 6:15 AM every morning, so I can get to work by 8:00 AM because if I leave a minute later than that, I will be stuck in the worse bumper to bumper traffic which will result in taking anywhere from 1:15 min to 2:30 min to commute.

I am so over it. I have been screaming for them to put in a railway from here to Tampa, and they may someday, for the next generation to utilize, but I will probably never see it, so I am selling my house, and leaving Florida completely, and going out west to Arizona.

When you come from NYC this looks like paradise, but paradise isn't that affordable anymore between homeowners insurance and the constant threat of hurricanes. The property taxes are horrid and jobs are scarce unless you are a professional in a specific field.

I work for the Federal Government, so I make a really good, secure living, but It costs me, in gas and tolls, close to $700 per month to make this living. I can think of a lot of better things to spend $700 a month on.

Spring Hill lacks sophitication and culture, but it is the suburbs. It wasn't meant to have it, and it is a big melting pot for people from all over, and everyone has a story to tell.

Spring Hill isn't the Florida one may see on a post card because it isn't Miami, and it is limited on beautiful palm tree scenery and gulf views, but if you have lived in snow your whole life, then you really don't care if there is a palm tree beside you when laying out in the sun working on your Florida tan.

Good luck to anyone who is moving to their paradise.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,041 times
I moved from Dearborn, MI to florida in 2002 and I'm looking for property in Spring Hill as well. I currently live in Venice, but the prices in Spring Hill can't be beat. It's a beautiful community with plenty of homes in a country setting. We're looking for a home there ourselves. I don't think people are leaving Spring Hill because it's not a good place to live, however the unemployment rates in Florida are extremely high right now and people have moved to find jobs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you come for a visit. One downfall though, they don't have snow in Spring Hill to shovel....lol. After this last winter I bet you're willing to make the sacrifice.
Good luck and happy house hunting.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherryb63 View Post
I moved from Dearborn, MI to florida in 2002 and I'm looking for property in Spring Hill as well. I currently live in Venice, but the prices in Spring Hill can't be beat. It's a beautiful community with plenty of homes in a country setting. We're looking for a home there ourselves. I don't think people are leaving Spring Hill because it's not a good place to live, however the unemployment rates in Florida are extremely high right now and people have moved to find jobs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you come for a visit. One downfall though, they don't have snow in Spring Hill to shovel....lol. After this last winter I bet you're willing to make the sacrifice.
Good luck and happy house hunting.
Another factor to consider is the low wage factor, if you need to work, when it comes to wages, the county falters. In 1977, Hernando 's average wages were 73 percent of the national average, in 2007, it had fallen below 60 percent. Most of the work here is in construction and was a major ccntributor to the economy. Most of the money moving through Hernando Cty today comes from retirees. Take a look at the people sitting eatting in our restaurants, mostly white heads, those younger are struggling with the economy and can't afford to go out to eat. Spring Hill is a haven for retiree's.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:14 PM

137 posts, read 545,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Another factor to consider is the low wage factor, if you need to work, when it comes to wages, the county falters. In 1977, Hernando 's average wages were 73 percent of the national average, in 2007, it had fallen below 60 percent. Most of the work here is in construction and was a major ccntributor to the economy. Most of the money moving through Hernando Cty today comes from retirees. Take a look at the people sitting eatting in our restaurants, mostly white heads, those younger are struggling with the economy and can't afford to go out to eat. Spring Hill is a haven for retiree's.

I agree with the low wage but think that the retirees simply go out to eat b/c they dont like to cook and going to a restaurant gives them 2 nights meals with leftovers. For a family to go out to eat it is much more expenisve and they tend to out on weekends where retirees go out all week. That just my opinion.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 17,199 times
Alot of these post are from people whom haved moved here. I have lived here all my life. Schools are not the best. Nothing for kids to do. I would not call it a suburb, its more of a crowded country town. made for retirees. but instead familys moved in. I would not say most of the money comes from retirees thou they due help. there are more family here then ever. Spring hill is not a great place. People here can be rude. SO if your willing for a major change then come on. To get to a major store you have to travel. Take it we just got a best buy, jcpenny, kohls, and sports authority. Unless you like walmart your out of luck. Good luck on moving here.
23 years and counting in this small deadend town

Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Alot of posts are from people who have moved here because the OP was asking about current situations not the history of Spring Hill.

Do you have any children in the schools here? Which ones?

I keep hearing about rude people here but I don't meet many myself. Could it be something else?

If you think this is crowded then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe move to New Mexico.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM

137 posts, read 545,959 times
I guess if you lived here all of your life and comparing it to what it use to be, you would consider it crowded. Coming from LI/Queens where it is really crowded...Spring Hill seems anything but.

Shopping is good enough... for me anyway. I love Ross and am really excited to be getting a 2nd one. The Marshalls over here is great. Belk is another one of my favorites, as well as Kohls, Penneys, Bealls Outlet, Michael's, Target (getting a 2nd one of those too. I'm happy with the food shopping too. We have Publix, Winn Dixie, Sweetbay plus Paesano's is a great bakery/deli/cafe. It has all of the italian delicasies I grew up with in NY. Prime cut and Murphy's are fantastic too. Even the new meat market next to Mariner Lanes is great. There is a lot more to the area besides Walmart. As far as things to do, that stuff is out there too... Hernando County Florida - Great Florida Birding Trail - Florida Nature Photography has a monthly list of county events. We're close to major cities like Tampa and Orlando where there are endless possibilities.

The area is can use a mall, I do admit that (somewhere to shop when it's hot out) along with a book store and a bed bath and beyond now that linens n things is gone.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 14,361 times
By the way hernando county schools are not really good schools, unfortunately at this time they are laying off teachers who actually can teach and have their Masters and hiring teachers fresh out of school with no experience...ask around see if you can find a teacher who has been here longer than 10 years tops..plus the schools down here are all about the FCATS that they really dont have the time anymore to teach!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay