Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times

Advertisements

The schools are not good at all, except maybe some of the charter schools.

And there just was a big scandal where children who lived in other counties were allowed into the charter HS, isn't that nice. While HC students were put on a waitlist.

It was against the rules, but nobody bothered to verify these student's information.

That gives you an idea of the education here, parents from surrounding counties lying to get their kids into a charter school.

Also low income apts (huge complex) are being built. Area really has done down hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,121 times
I've lived in Spring Hill for the last 6 years, while there are some things to do, this area is pretty much a dull wasteland. There are barely any jobs, tons of foreclosures and pretty high sinkhole activity. If you remember several weeks ago there was just a sinkhole that tore down the front of a house, I know, I live right down the street from it! >.>

Now to continue, the schools are absolutely horrible, all they do is base their teachings on the FCAT all year and nothing else. Travel times are pretty lame as well, 45 minutes to Tampa, 25-30 minutes to the nearest mall, this town pretty much has nothing.

I'd pretty much suggest that you look somewhere closer to Tampa. I'm about ready to move the hell out of here actually, I've lived in Florida my entire live so I'm moving someplace that's diverse and cold. Hi Vancouver.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 19,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryFloridian View Post
I've lived in Spring Hill for the last 6 years, while there are some things to do, this area is pretty much a dull wasteland. There are barely any jobs, tons of foreclosures and pretty high sinkhole activity. If you remember several weeks ago there was just a sinkhole that tore down the front of a house, I know, I live right down the street from it! >.>

Now to continue, the schools are absolutely horrible, all they do is base their teachings on the FCAT all year and nothing else. Travel times are pretty lame as well, 45 minutes to Tampa, 25-30 minutes to the nearest mall, this town pretty much has nothing.

I'd pretty much suggest that you look somewhere closer to Tampa. I'm about ready to move the hell out of here actually, I've lived in Florida my entire live so I'm moving someplace that's diverse and cold. Hi Vancouver.
The commute is 45 miles but that is all the way to downtown which is one of the furthest points in Tampa. Unlike other metropolitan areas 30 miles of the ride are in a speed zone of 70 mph with absolutely no traffic! However you do have to pay tolls which are not very cheap. Homes in Spring Hill were selling for a lot less than what they were in around a 25 miles radius of Tampa. The builders over built here just like everywhere else. Has anybody heard about a lot of the developments in or around Tampa that are like ghost towns. This has happened everywhere. Although one negative fact is that we do have the highest unempolyment rate. Most people should know that when they move here. SH is considered a bedroom communtiy for that reason. We never had jobs here before the boom and now in rough times we still don't. The unemployment rate really doesn't mean much if people know these facts. Everything here was based off from working in Tampa or owning your own business. Now Tampa has a high unemplyment rate and there are not enough jobs in Tampa. Tampa residents cannot find jobs in Tampa. What does that leave here for us? During the real estate boom you could purchase a home in SH for a lot less and of course the taxes were a lot cheaper here. That is why people would commute. Now things are not looking so good and people are freaking out. Think about why Long Island expanded the way it did. You think people moved to Long Island for jobs at first. No they moved there to be close to NYC and not have to pay the high cost of living in NYC. This has been going on for decades. Code Enforcement is overwhelmed just as they are everywhere across the United States. I'm not saying everybody buys a house twice the size as what they lived in up north but they are a lot of people that do because they can. I do know a lot of senior citizens and many do live in a house that has a few extra bedrooms. Just to name a few people. All of the older people that live on my street have houses that have a few extra bedrooms they don't use. Even my grandparent in laws have a nice home that they really don't need. My mother in laws neighbors who are retired also have a larger than needed home. Although this is a little off subject. It isn't just senior citizens that have recently moved to SH from up north anyways. I don't agree with the fact of vacant shopping centers. Once again that has happened in a lot of areas due to the boom and than a quick collapse. Any business here that goes out is always filled in by another. You will find a lot of examples of this in the list below. Comments on this forum make this place look like streets of empty homes and run down shooping centers. Just to name a few major and minor stores that have expanded here in the last 2 years. 2nd Office Depot, Petsmart, Best Buy, Sports Authority, Ross, JC Penney, Cracker Barrell, a building being built next to Cracker Barrell unknown, Pet Supermart, Microtel, 2 New Holiday Inns, Texas Road House, Carrabas, Panera Bread, Micheals, Marshalls, Kay Jewelers, Rue 21, Game Stop, A New Store by Sam's Club that is being built and is unknown, Kirklands Home, Linen & Things which is now currently being renovated to Bed Bath and Beyond, Old Navy, Petco, Plant Beach (Tampa Franchise), HH Greg--former Circuit City, Star Bucks, Five Guys, Aspen Dental, Target, Kohls, Supercuts, Applebee's (2nd Location), New Publix (around the 5th location) opened this week, Anyitme Fitness (2 Locations and currently building a 3rd location), 2 New Discovery Point Preschools, Silvethorn Plaza (more than 75% occupied), Small New Plaza Corner of N. Cliffe & Mariner 2 out of 3 Units Full ---Leslie's Pool Supplies and Papa Johns, 2 New Walgreens (corner of N. Cliffe & Mariner and corner of Spring Hill Dr. and Pinehurst), New Plaza just recently built in front of Publix on N. Cliffe and Mariner 50% Occupied, Mariner Cay Apartments Very Nice, Spring Hill Villas, Offices being built right now in recession on corner of Portillo Rd. and Mariner, 3 New Restuarants in the past month (Pit Stop--former Nellies, La Iguana Loca--former Village Inn, and Pueblo Viejo--former El Ranchito, the 4th Brand New Beef O' Brady's is being built right now, 2 New Large Gas Station Plazas 100% Occupancy on corner of SHD and Barclay, Circle K corner of Barclay and Powell, Superior Bank, Traditions Bank, Capital City Bank, 2 New Schools and one being built right now, Pasco Hernando Community College is building a state of art campus on US 19 currently (for senior citizens lol). I could probably go on but by now people should get the point. Why don't people list some of the vacant plazas they speak of? This is happening everywhere that had an extensive amount of growth during the real estate boom. When I post a comment I have the facts to support that comment. Some of the people who have posted on this forum probably have had one bad experience in the area which creates all of the negative comments they post. I do agree with bad planning. Now that I have listed all of the companies who have invested here lets keep in mind that most of them were retail. Seain is right about the county not trying to pull in any industy or commercial corporations. All we do have here is retail and a lot of residential. As mentioned before this is considered a bedroom community and that is what you should expect for now. It would be nice to see the industry and major corporations but it will be a long while before that happens. Especially considering the fact that we are now into a deep recession. Please let me know what you feel is incorrect about this post. Also houses are now a lot cheaper hear than ever before. Please access the MLS so I don't have to go into detail with this subject. When browsing the MLS compare this area to any other comparable area 40 miles outside a major metropolitan area in Florida with an easy accesible expressway. Then come back here and post what you think. If you have any questions please post them.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Sounds like someone is trying to sell houses....LOL

HC is loaded with many vacant and foreclosed homes, and many shopping centers that were built that remain empty:
1) Kohls shopping center- has been there over a year a vacant except for a haircutting place.
2) Shopping center built near Kohls heading towards the Post Office (100% vacant)
3) US 19 where Best Buy more than 50% vacant
4) Existing shopping center by Silverthorn 50% vacant

There are more, in addition many restaruants have closed up.

There is a lot of debate about the new school as to whether it is even needed due to declining enrolement.

Crime is way up including many drug related home robberies.

I agree someone commuting to Tampa won't be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic but doing a 90 mile round trip commute everyday is wear and tear on the person and wear and tear on their car.

Why do that when you can live 20 miles away in a nicer area?

Bottom line is they overbuilt and are now suffering, HC based most of it's economy on new construction.

And the new campus you talked about is a long way off and they have no idea how they're going to staff it.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Default Spring Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

And there just was a big scandal where children who lived in other counties were allowed into the charter HS, isn't that nice. While HC students were put on a waitlist.

It was against the rules, but nobody bothered to verify these student's information.

That gives you an idea of the education here, parents from surrounding counties lying to get their kids into a charter school.

Also low income apts (huge complex) are being built. Area really has done down hill.

Moderator cut: comment
It seems that you have a deep hatred for Spring Hill and you should either leave or stop bashing. The hatred you have is very deep and very disturbing.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: discuss topic not other members

Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Why?

I hope you have left already. If you were a lifelong Floridian and only in SH for 6 years, why did you come here? You must have known it was a planned development for senior citizens that is becoming a bedroom community for Tampa and areas north of Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryFloridian View Post

Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Why wouldn't there be low income apartments in a service industry based area? The 7-11 clerks, the supermarket clerks, the taxi drivers, laundry workers, waitresses, gas station clerks, all those in retail are basically low income. At least they will have a nice place to live. Hopefully the won't screw it up.

How do you know that the schools are not good? Are you employed there or do you have kids in the school at this time? What are you basing your "schools are not good" statement on?

Quote:

Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM

What they failed to mention isL:

1. Like other places in the u.s.a. lots of foreclosures and vacant homes.
However, the County is developing plans to get those houses occupied and sold.

2. Nobody, except the big bucks chains, are opening many businesses in the economic climate we are in. The shopping centers were planned years ago and recently built. After the economy turns around, those should fill in nicely. All of them. The developers didnt built on a whim.
They built on a plan and speculation that the area is in grow mode and it is.

Some restaurants closed. Many more opened and are doing well.

Enrollement in schools is not declining.

Crime is not up. Check with the Sheriff's office. Drug related home robberies? That means that the person who got robbed had a lot of drugs in his house.

The rest of it is unfactual, unsupported trash.

Quote:
Sounds like someone is trying to sell houses....LOL

HC is loaded with many vacant and foreclosed homes, and many shopping centers that were built that remain empty:
1) Kohls shopping center- has been there over a year a vacant except for a haircutting place.
2) Shopping center built near Kohls heading towards the Post Office (100% vacant)
3) US 19 where Best Buy more than 50% vacant
4) Existing shopping center by Silverthorn 50% vacant

There are more, in addition many restaruants have closed up.

There is a lot of debate about the new school as to whether it is even needed due to declining enrolement.

Crime is way up including many drug related home robberies.

I agree someone commuting to Tampa won't be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic but doing a 90 mile round trip commute everyday is wear and tear on the person and wear and tear on their car.

Why do that when you can live 20 miles away in a nicer area?

Bottom line is they overbuilt and are now suffering, HC based most of it's economy on new construction.

And the new campus you talked about is a long way off and they have no idea how they're going to staff it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 53,542 times
For the record, I went to middle & high school in Spring Hill, my parents, friends and other family members still live there & I'm within a half hour of the place, so I consider myself to be well acquainted. I can only speak for Spring Hill proper, if you're in one of those "fancier" gated communities...well I have no experience with that. That ain't The Hill to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Spring Hill View Post
Right now housing is cheap. Really cheap. Retirees cant afford the taxes and insurance on their "winter homes" and are selling off. People who came here thinking whatever they were thinking took out mortgages they could not afford after the teaser rates expired and now they can't keep up. Insurance rates have gone through the roof since 2005. Taxes are another story. So, with the national economy in the toilet, areas like Spring Hill do see a hit
because the service based economy takes a hit and it spirals down from there.
This is the absolute truth, I don't know why people are getting so defensive! We've had a home of a family member who passed away on the market for well over a year with one visit. No one's buying there right now, though you could probably get a heck of a bargain! (side note since this place seems to be full of realtors: I'm not in charge of selling the place, so don't bug me about it!). The only homeowner insurance you can get in most of Spring Hill is the stuff from the state due to all the sinkholes. My parents had one very near their home. It was huge, destroyed the road & a house or two. The sinkholes aren't a joke, nor are they a fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How do you know that the schools are not good? Are you employed there or do you have kids in the school at this time? What are you basing your "schools are not good" statement on?
They're not, never have been! Back in my day, Springstead was so overcrowded that it almost lost accreditation. One of my friends had her daughter at Central until they moved to the DC area. Was a big adjustment for her daughter to have to do her homework & actually work at getting good grades! This is not to say there aren't wonderful & dedicated teachers there, but the schools aren't well funded.

Listen to people when they tell you there's nothing to do there for kids/teens. It's been that way forever, same thing now. There's also no culture, no art, no city center (since it's a housing development). If you are used to a city you will be sorely disappointed. It's an exurb, nothing more.

Listen to people when they tell you there are no jobs there. My friend's husband has been trying to get a 2nd job to make ends meet (did I mention crappy salaries?) for a year & a half and no dice. Unemployment there is mid-teens and rising.

The biggest problem there is that it's chock full of conservative retirees, many of whom don't want to pay for anything that doesn't affect them directly. Always a letter to the editor complaining about having to pay for schools because goshdarnit their kids went to school on LI 30 years ago so why should they pay taxes now?! It took YEARS and lots of wrangling to get a library built in Sping Hill proper...and what they built is way too small for the community. People there are extremely cheap.

As for the positives, hmm. Houses are cheap & plentiful right now. If you're self-employed or in the medical profession you can do OK there. If you don't mind a commute, you can also do ok there, but it is NOT a quick trip to get to Tampa. It's mostly quiet, and though there are pockets of crime it's not widespread. Thankfully a TON of decent shopping has gone up in the past few years so you no longer have to drive 15-20 miles for department stores. You absolutely can't live there without a car though, and that goes for 99% of the Tampa Bay area.

I have a soft spot for the place and it's "home" to me, but there's no need to whitewash it or get defensive when people are trying to pass on the FACTS to people interested in moving. Do the smart thing which my parents did all those years ago: rent a house for 6 months to a year & see if you like where you're at before you buy.

Here are some stats for anyone interested, it's one of the poorest counties in the Tampa Bay demo. Spring Hill Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com

Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Good post. There is nothing wrong with posting facts, but posting nonsense is another story. That same poster posted that 75 percent of the drivers are uninsured in FL. Spring Hill is just like any place else. Its got good points and bad points. It depends on what the person who wants to live in Spring Hill wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay