Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 73,809 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! hope all is well!!

Its been awhile since my last post (Tallahassee). Trying to figure out what I would like to do, so I have a few quick questions for everyone. Currently Im thinking about moving to Tampa Florida or possibly surrounding areas:Palm Harbor or Brandon/Clearwater/Largo area. 1st Im wondering how is the school system in these areas:my child is in the 8th grade will probably be attending public school. 2nd are there many jobs in the area of internet marketing(seo/mkt research/analyst) available.. I do see jobs on indeed etc...but would like the opinion of someone who is actually working in this field/or know someone of how the job market is for this field. 3rd also if you happen to know the average starting wage for an entry level-intermediate level for an seo/research employee. 4th I was wondering about(I know there will be many variables)but how much on average...electric cost water/sewer, car insurance,tags for your car, renters insurance etc. Finaly, was looking into a few areas to live: if not against the rules can someone tell me how the living is for:
Crystal Cove Villas in Pine Harbor, Wellington Apartments in Largo, Gardens at South Bay in South Tampa and Hunters Run in NW Tampa.

Ok...this is my final question...Im african american will I have any issues because of my race in the surrounding areas of Tampa???

Thanks for your responses in advance,

MV310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 AM

807 posts, read 3,193,290 times
Well it might be a little help...Largo and S. Tampa schools are probably not quite as 'good' as New Tampa. I don't know where Pine Harbor is. The traffic is bad where ever you choose (worse than Tally). I don't see race being an issue in those areas either.
Personally, I wouldn't leave Tallahassee for Tampa unless there was a really good reason!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,625,102 times
Wow, that's a lot of questions in a small paragraph...ha! I'll help with the schools. IMO, I would suggest you find the right school for your sibling, then find the property.

In Hillsborough County (Brandon & Tampa), you can lookup the school assignments by address. Each school has their own website which includes the school report card and boundary maps. Click here --> https://choice.sdhc.k12.fl.us/locator/Default.asp.

In Pinellas County (Clearwater & Largo), it's a little more complicated this year, but you can do some research about how it works here ---> New Student Assignment Plan 2008-09 (http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us/Choice/newplan.html - broken link).

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,758,379 times
I find Tampa to be a crime-ridden, dumpy city. The people aren't that friendly and it's too busy. The traffic is terrible. I can only imagine that the schools in Tampa are horrid, but I might be wrong.

Clearwater is OK, my brother likes it. Maybe you can consider it.

I would also look into Dunedin (also in Pinellas County). It's small, low-crime, and the school system is good.

Good Luck to you.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Hello-Suncoast Guy

Hey....took quite awhile for me to respond back. Very busy with fulltime work, fulltime school and let alone working with my daughter on her sports and schoolwork as well. Well I thank you for the advice of Dundin--a friend of mine had also mentioned this area to me also....I will do more research....

Thank you for your honest opinion/suggestions

MV310

QUOTE=Suncoast Guy;4799254]I find Tampa to be a crime-ridden, dumpy city. The people aren't that friendly and it's too busy. The traffic is terrible. I can only imagine that the schools in Tampa are horrid, but I might be wrong.

Clearwater is OK, my brother likes it. Maybe you can consider it.

I would also look into Dunedin (also in Pinellas County). It's small, low-crime, and the school system is good.

Good Luck to you. [/quote]

Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Hello On-da-Beach

MV310 here responding back to your response regarding

"not leaving Tallahassee for Tampa unless there was a really good reason".

The talks that I've had regarding Tallahassee is pretty much a college town that does not have many good paying jobs. Also at the same time I have heard it is not as congested as Tampa etc....and more of a small town type feel with much diversity with along being the capitol of Florida there are state jobs available.

Do you/have you lived in Tallahassee...what are your thoughts?

Thanks again,

MV310

Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
Well it might be a little help...Largo and S. Tampa schools are probably not quite as 'good' as New Tampa. I don't know where Pine Harbor is. The traffic is bad where ever you choose (worse than Tally). I don't see race being an issue in those areas either.
Personally, I wouldn't leave Tallahassee for Tampa unless there was a really good reason!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Hello TampaKaren

Hello MV310

responding back in regards to the school information...Thank you!
Looked at the information early September and also will be looking this information over again along with other information regarding the schools.

Again, Thank you

Trying to make the best decision,

MV310

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Wow, that's a lot of questions in a small paragraph...ha! I'll help with the schools. IMO, I would suggest you find the right school for your sibling, then find the property.

In Hillsborough County (Brandon & Tampa), you can lookup the school assignments by address. Each school has their own website which includes the school report card and boundary maps. Click here --> https://choice.sdhc.k12.fl.us/locator/Default.asp.

In Pinellas County (Clearwater & Largo), it's a little more complicated this year, but you can do some research about how it works here ---> New Student Assignment Plan 2008-09 (http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us/Choice/newplan.html - broken link).

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 AM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
I'd stay away from Pinellas County Schools. The only high schools worth attending in this area are Palm Harbor University and East Lake, the rest don't really impress me.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Hello Bosco55David

Thanks for your response on the schools...
I''m concerned regarding the schools of Florida(tampa bay area and surrounding), it seems as though the quality of education for the public schools seems to be kind of questionable. Do you buy chance know of any private schools or charters school that you feel are great in providing quality education for students

Thank you for your response,

MV310

QUOTE=Bosco55David;6167058]I'd stay away from Pinellas County Schools. The only high schools worth attending in this area are Palm Harbor University and East Lake, the rest don't really impress me.[/quote]

Old 11-15-2008, 07:41 AM

17,578 posts, read 39,271,099 times
I would find the job first, then the school, then the property. As far as your race, that is a non-issue in the area, the Tampa Bay area is very diverse and always has been.

While someone mentioned Tampa being "dumpy" - I do agree with that assessment overall, but must qualify that there are some very nice areas in and around the city - it's just that the inner core of the city itself has a "patchy" feel, with nice neighborhoods right next to not-so-nice ones. Some people compare it to the gritty feel of a northern industrial type city a little bit. I like the South Tampa area the most (and this is the most expensive), Carrollwood in the northwest area and Temple Terrace to the northeast. All the suburbs to the north like New Tampa are very nice.

You also mentioned Palm Harbor and Brandon, overall those are nice areas as well. Not as familiar with Clearwater/Largo, but I think you have to watch what neighborhood you get into in that area.

If you can find yourself the right job and place to live, I think you will be happy in the Tampa Bay area.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay