Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 PM

17 posts, read 134,514 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at homes and schools in New Tampa.
I have read negative comments regarding Wharton High School but it seems that a lot of good deals on homes are in that school district.

Are the good deals because the homes are in Warton district? Is this school getting better or worse. What can I expect? I am moving from out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
Where are your good deals? If they are in Live Oak, then it is because of Live Oak. That place was never good to begin with. Now it has been going down hill fast.

My kids don't go to Wharton, and I am glad. I have not heard great things about it either. My kids will go to Freedom. That was not doing great either for a long time. Then they got a new principal and everything has changed for the better. Maybe things have changed for Wharton too.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM

10 posts, read 39,033 times
I live in Live Oak and yes they are struggling there, but I love my house, my neighbors and my neighborhood, we had several foreclosures and they were purchased by very nice families and the elementary and middle school are both A rated and my son is very happy at the elementary school.

I would disagree that the "place was never good to begin with" because I have met wonderful people who live here. It is not our fault that the builder went under and now any future building is up in the air. The builder handed over the reigns of the association recently and things are improving. We are a neighborhood that is dealing with the economic meltdown just like many other new neighbhorhoods, but all full time residents are working really hard to continue to make this a nice place to live. Kids ride their bikes and play with their neighbors and we go to the pool and the playground and each morning on a school day you see lots of kids and parents walking to school.

Anyway, about Wharton, there is no AMAZING high school in Tampa, there just isn't. Does Wharton have issues? yes, like most large public high schools. However, I have met several parents who are happy with the school and their electives and core classes. (great drama program for example).

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
[quote=Kblue;10035373]I would disagree that the "place was never good to begin with" because I have met wonderful people who live here. It is not our fault that the builder went under and now any future building is up in the air. The builder handed over the reigns of the association recently and things are improving. melquote]
When we first were looking to buy in New Tampa, our realtor told use to stay away from Live Oak. This was 4 1/2 years ago. It was a concern regarding the builder, not the people itself. The homes where poorly constructed, according to our realtor. I have heard more and more problems with the people (crime and vandilism), kids loitering at all hours.

I think both Freedom and Wharton have good drama departments. If I had to rank which school is better, my guess would be Freedom first then Wharton. Maybe because I am more familiar with Freedom.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 39,033 times
I think that rumors are always abound about the neighborhood and in my personal experience since I live here, I have had no real big issues (besides a cracked tile and my sliding glass door needed replacing) with the construction of the home. Construction in Florida in general is notoriously bad and its hit or miss in ANY neighborhood, regardless of builder. We also bought our house pre construction and watched each step of they way as they built it and never had any issue and last year when we re-financed it passed inspection without a problem. One of our new neighbors is a local realtor, so everyone has their own opinion.

In terms of crime and vandalism the neighborhood is gated in the evenings. I personally haven't experienced either one and I was one of the first ones to move in so we've been around a long time. On my street there are a ton of kids, but at 10 pm you could hear a pin drop. I always get a bit annoyed when people repeat what they have "heard", not what they have "experienced", but that's not the point. The point is, if an individual finds a great deal in my neighborhood I am here to say that you should check them out and see if you like the house, see what the neighbors are like and make your decision from there. Even my own experience will be different than a new person coming in.

Now in comparing Wharton to Freedom, there is not much of a difference between two high schools in similar middle class neighborhoods in Tampa, there just isn't. Some schools get a better reputation, but you can find good kids and good teachers and bad kids and bad teachers just about anywhere. Freedom and Wharton pull the same types of kids from the same types of families, so really how much better can one be than the other?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Call me biased, but I would suggest you look around the area zoned for the new Steinbrenner High School in Lutz. After spending $60 million, it's scheduled to open next month. There will not be a senior class this year. Do a net search and read published articles/news. Here's a link to the school page STEINBRENNER HIGH SCHOOL | LUTZ, FLORIDA.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM

17 posts, read 134,514 times
I dont know if I can afford a home near Steinbrenner. Are there any master planned communities there that have homes for $250 to $325.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 10,363 times
try schools like Vivan Gaither High School, Wiregrass Ranch High School, H.B Plant High School and even Wesley Chapel High School

Wiregrass and Wesley Chapel are very close to Wharton, though they are a different district. Wharton is basically on the county line between Hillsborough and Pasco Counties

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009tampa View Post
I dont know if I can afford a home near Steinbrenner. Are there any master planned communities there that have homes for $250 to $325.
Yes, there are several communities in Lutz within your price range.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I have looked in the past at Live Oak, but the HOA/CDD fees are ridiculous and some sub communities had even 2 HOA fees...unheard off. You better look at Seven Oaks which is zoned for Wiregrass Highschool...or you can always apply for open school choice...which we did for the school of our choice and was approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay