Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Lutz (33558) on Hillsbrough County side is GREAT, it is a lot closer to amenities (shops, restaurants, hwy's etc) I am of course biased but living passed 54 or ON 54 can make your commute south longer and the people driving on 54 are really scary!!! I don't know much about New Port Ritchey, except from what I've seen from driving through it, some areas look old a dilapidated, some have brand new communities on them, a lot of trailer parks, and some only have the streets and lights of new communities on them, and well, just the bugs probably as they are abandoned!

Lutz IS more affordable than S. Tampa, but then again, when you count that almost ALL new developments have CDD's which bring your property taxes to $8000 a year...........not sure if the word "affordable" comes to mind anymore!

But BUG wise...(LOLOL) we don't have as much as some places up in Land o Lakes, we visited a community before we moved here that was about 25 minutes north on 41 that becomes Land o Lakes blvd and there was NOTHING around except this community that had to have over 500 homes on it.....it literally felt like the middle of nowhere and there were a LOT of bugs up there.....and cows.....overall I have seen more horses and cows than alligators/snakes and palmetto bugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM

26 posts, read 98,002 times
Lutz IS more affordable than S. Tampa, but then again, when you count that almost ALL new developments have CDD's which bring your property taxes to $8000 a year...........not sure if the word "affordable" comes to mind anymore!

Wondering what CDD stands for?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Community Development District (CDD) meaning there is a fund collected at tax time to continue to develop that particular sub division, add playgrounds, maintain or expand golf courses etc etc etc)

Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
The lizards are harmless, they eat the mosquitoes:

Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
What a beautiful picture that is Annie. Why anyone wouldn't want to live with that sort of beauty is beyond me.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM

I love those little lizards, they are so cute! please don't step on their tails.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepandan View Post
Next time you get a Lizard in your bathtub reach in to grab him and see how harmless they are when they are backed into a corner!!
Where I live, Largo, the biggest and CONSTANT fear for our pets, are the Coyotes that we are INFESTED with!
I've lived in Largo since 89' and I've NEVER heard of any type of Coyote problem. Where did you hear that?

To the OP - Geckos are cute and harmless, as a person who doesn't like creepy crawlies, these even I don't mind catching and letting back outside.

Alligators - Do exist yes, but they tend to avoid the population as a whole but frequent swamps, lakes etc.. If you avoid those, chances of you seeing one are slim, unless you go to the zoo or Busch Gardens.

Bugs - They are huge here, I can't lie but I don't like bugs and the mosquitoes have their seasons where they can be bad but again, the worst areas or the woods or near water where they hatch.

Snakes - Garden snakes is the worst I've seen. Maybe ever 6 months I see one in the yard. We have a dog, he survives going outside on a daily basis.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 98,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
I've lived in Largo since 89' and I've NEVER heard of any type of Coyote problem. Where did you hear that?

To the OP - Geckos are cute and harmless, as a person who doesn't like creepy crawlies, these even I don't mind catching and letting back outside.

Alligators - Do exist yes, but they tend to avoid the population as a whole but frequent swamps, lakes etc.. If you avoid those, chances of you seeing one are slim, unless you go to the zoo or Busch Gardens.

Bugs - They are huge here, I can't lie but I don't like bugs and the mosquitoes have their seasons where they can be bad but again, the worst areas or the woods or near water where they hatch.

Snakes - Garden snakes is the worst I've seen. Maybe ever 6 months I see one in the yard. We have a dog, he survives going outside on a daily basis.

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of sane, balanced feedback I'm happy see : ) I realize there will be creepy critters here and there. So long as they're just here and there... and not in my bed or eating my dogs I think I can handle it.

I put in my paperwork for a potential transfer to Tampa, so now I wait and see. Thanks for everyones input on my several posts, it helped me way the pros and cons of relocating to the Tampa area.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,437 times
Quote:
They have been in the news quite a bit in the last year. They have been spotted near Boyd Hill Nature Preserve south of Downtown St. Pete. This is the newest story I saw:

Links for July 21: Coyotes in Pinellas County

Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
It's been in the Times and in Creative Loafing, and the Pinellas County Animal Control people have warned residents as well. They're all through the county at this point. (Not sure why it matters how long you've lived here.)

: Pinellas County - Tampa Bay Newspapers

Coyotes, they are here to stay in Pinellas County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay