Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 16,404 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the Tampa area with a new job (so no need for job data). I will be working in the USF area (any info on working around there) and was looking for advice on places to live. My wife and I are late 30's with 3 kids (all under 10). We are looking for a nice safe neighborhood with good schools, some culture nearby (within about 20 miles) and convenient shopping. Our budget is about 250,000 for a home. We currently live outside Nashville Tn and I commute 30 miles to work (would like to keep it to less than 30 minutes if possible). I have looked at the New Tampa area and seen a couple of nice looking homes in gated communities (but that is just internet search which can only tell you so much). Education for my kids is a key with us (so if the local schools are garbage let me know and if there are any good private options). A lot of nightlife is not such a key for us, but fun (and educational) places for the kids are, and having some good places to eat are always a plus (for when it is my turn to cook). Looking for advice. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
New Tampa (zip 33647) is close to USF and has newer homes. Next closest would be the Lake Magdalene & Carrollwood areas (zips 33613 and 33618/33624). A little further with older houses would be in the Temple Terrace area (zip 33617). You can find a lot in your price range. The challenge will be navigating through short sales & foreclosures.

You can read parent reviews of the local schools on GreatSchools.net and school scores on the Florida Department of Education. For public school assignments, you can find this via an address search on the Hillsborough County School District. By Florida standards, most of the elementary schools score well, but there are a some that don't.

Due to traffic and congestion, I'd suggest you not live further than 8-10 miles max from your work.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 16,404 times
Thanks TampaKaren,
I have read that some places in Pasco County are a deal but that there may be more crime than I want around my kids. Which of these would be an area that is mostly owner occupied? Renters tend to take less pride in thier dwelling. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
I would definitely recommend Carollwood if you're working near USF. It has good schools and it is an established, safe area.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:48 AM

12 posts, read 19,123 times
I just moved back to Tampa from CLT and back in the late 90's and early 2000's i was living at Land O Lakes/ Wesley Chapel area. That area is nice but alot of traffic the zipcode there is 34638 and 34639. Now I'm living in Riverview and i work next to USF and the commute is nice takes me 25 minutes from my house to work. So i would reccomend you Riverview area 33569. Close to everything and nice new subdivisions. I'm like you in the late 30's.
Good Luck

Old 11-10-2009, 05:01 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I second the Carrollwood suggestion. I believe it is largely owner occupied. Certainly the vast majority of homes are well kept. I bought in Carrollwood earlier this year - 3/2 concrete home on a small pond for under $200K. I like the area because it is established and there is a real mix of ages. Many of my neighbors have lived in their homes for 40+ years. But there are also many young families. One thing I like is that there always seems to be people out on the sidewalks walking the dogs or going on a bike ride with the kids.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 78,509 times
I like Westchase (33626). It's contemporary, it has a playground for children, a beautiful community, nice housing, very clean, safe, but it can be expensive. Schools are good. I also like Odessa.
Westchase/ Citrus Park are about 20 minutes to USF. Come and rent first, see what exactly you want, and then decide to buy the house.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Wesley Chapel area is a great place to look for a place which also is Pasco and safe!
There is Meadow Poimt, Seven Oaks, Hunters Green which are good.
Quail Hollow is also a nice area near 54 and I75

Old 11-15-2009, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 56,065 times
If you look South of Odessa in the Keystone - Lake Fern area - you will probably find the best value on getting a house on a large lot up to an acre or two in the last semi-rural area left in the Tampa Bay Area and still be within 20 minutes of the USF area, plus you would still be in the Hillsborough County School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay