Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The label emotionally disturbed indicates some type of mental illness which is not necessarily the case with all children with learning disabilities. To label all children with learning disabilities as emotionally disturbed is prejudicial and discriminatory.
It all depends on the district what "label" a kid gets. Some districts call all LD/ED and some higher functioning kids with un dx'd problems ED My district had:ED classes as well as LD and MR-educable and MR-functional and Phys-handicapped ( there is actually a school on hospital grounds for the last 2 groups and several classes of the others).Lately, items like autism and spectrum disorders and developmental delay got thrown in (here, that generally means being in resource and mainstreamed) You also have just mainstreamed students, resource students and you have kids who are pull-outs for things like "special help in reading". You also have kids whose parents force specialized IEPs because THEY think the kid needs special help -- even if the testing is fine.

I had to deal with that "alphabet soup" of acronyms for 30 years........ Kids who want to succeed and whose parents care will, generally, succeed [problem or not]. However, if you get even 1 "special" in a class and that kid is a problem, you spend time more time with that kid, and the top kids will "get it" anyway -- so the average kid loses out.

I was never a fan of "least restrictive environment". If a kid is a problem for a major reason, the class should be self-contained or at least given to a teacher who wants it. Your average general garden variety child needs just as much attention...

JMO. I taught 30 years.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 07-30-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
People need to smarten up. Public perceptions are manipulated to get us fighting one American worker against another while the wealthy and the big corporations use labor arbitrage to off-shore our best jobs. Our radiology, engineering, internet and legal services are being done in India at 1/3 the salary. American workers increasingly are left saying "want fries with that?" How often do you buy something NOT Made In China?

Teachers aren't the enemy...they're purposefully being targeted because teacher unions typically support Democratic candidates. It's been widely reported that right wing think tanks pay trolls per post to get the right wing talking points out by stealth.
Point 1) Not all teachers vote Dem nor follow all union mandates for that.

Point 2) Unions should open their eyes and see that when they threw support to every little PC group that asked, they gave wacko groups credence.

Point 3) Unions should get back to just promoting their profession and forget the wackos. Then they should make the politicians beg for their votes -- and stop PAC funding them as well

And, yes, I was Union [and so was my husband and we were delegates]....... and no, we do not follow in lockstep because we are sick of the PC stuff and the Dem pols who expect the vote. [I am not a right wing troll.... I am a retired teacher seriously worried by the insanity of any unions supporting politicians]

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
In the 60s, even teachers were 1-A ( once out of school, you lost your deferment). My husband was in that pool: teachers who were 1-A and we had no kids, so he was called, given a physical and passed, but his draft board never did call him for induction. He had teacher friends who were called. Many guys around here ( blue collar town) actually enlisted after HS (many from my husband's HS)
The point of my post had nothing to do with the teachers. It had to do with why kids stayed in school as students during the 60's. They stayed in school because full time students were exempt from the draft.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
No adult should ever be dissed.

For a child to do it, shows poor parenting, and for an adult to let a child dis him, is inexcusable. One way to earn respect, as crazy as it sounds is to demand it -- but there are acceptable ways to demand respect.

As a teacher, it's in how you establish rapport in the classroom. When a child wanted to be flippant with me, I would not berate them other than to point out, that I was not being disrespectful towards him, and I expected the same treatment (but you will still have to demonstrate being worthy of that treatment, so it's a catch-22 of sorts). I also would not let the students be disrespectful to one another, and would tell them how they treated each other out of my earshot was truly their business but that there were acceptable ways of conducting ourselves in MY classroom.

You have to command the classroom. It is hard to do, I'll admit, but it starts on Day One, and if you lose it, you might as well wash-it-up until the next semester, academic year, whatever, unless you have a very strong constitution, and the man hours to devote to staying on top of the kids -- and whatever that might entail. One semester I called parents every day, more with the good news than the bad, as the good far outweighs the bad in the power it carries. It was also fun overhearing the kids telling one another that I had called their home, about something great. I also made a point it was NOT false praise, or BS. Kids so see through that. If you've been asking Johnny to be on time for a solid month, and he does it, that merits a call home, if only to ask the parent if Johnny's BFF was absent that day.

Always put yourself in that child's position. As much as you might like to knock him upside the head, and if he were yours, you might, consider yourself in the same position. Understood, you might never be in his shoes, but, what if -- just, what if -- you were? Is the kid coming to you with an attitude that may even have nothing to do with you, and you just contribute to add to it? One student I taught disliked the teacher he had just the class before mine, and I found I could diffuse things with a kind word, gesture, or a bit of a tease. 'Not a good day in Room 103, huh?,' I might ask, and pat him on the back.

Teaching is NOT what is was just 10 years ago, but not much else is, either. Fewer intact families, less economic stability, more media exposure, fewer values handed down, blah blah blah. We teachers can't fix it, as much as we might like to. All we can fix is what goes on in our individual classrooms at a given time of the day.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The point of my post had nothing to do with the teachers. It had to do with why kids stayed in school as students during the 60's. They stayed in school because full time students were exempt from the draft.
More students are staying in school for similar reasons today.

In my state, a child stayed out of jail or juvenile detention center by maintaining some semblance of a normal life, which included being in school an expected number of hours in a day, days of the month, months of the year. The thinking is, he is off the streets, and out of the system. Unfortunately, the expectation that goes along with that, isn't that he be doing much constructive while in school, and if he is a behavior problem there, for the most part, it's the school's problem -- even as unjust as that seems. The system steps in if the child breaks the law, which many of them don't; they're just unruly, discipline problems generally.

Others, HS students in particular, were required to stay in school to keep a driver's license.

States enact legislation like this, not to punish us teachers and make life in a school setting miserable for the rest of us, but to try to address the drop-out rate, get kids off the streets, and hopefully keep them out of trouble. If a child has to be in school, he is potentially out of another 'bad' place, even if it's his home. The legal system does not want to be in the business of educating children beyond what they are having to do by establishing classrooms in hospitals for those committed with emotional problems, and the like, or the classrooms in a juvenile detention center or jail. Schools are, to some effect, a 'halfway house,' whether teachers and administrators want to admit it or not.

The most shocked I ever was, was when the Principal at the JR HS, wanted me to explain why the students assigned to my self-contained in-school suspension classroom actually liked being there. Why wouldn't they? For those hours of the day, they were 'sheltered' from the rest of the world, had clear expectations made of them, were disciplined fairly and in a reasonable amount of time, got plenty of attention, and were fairly successful. For this type of student, a ratio of 1::10 or 15 was perfect. In the ten years I worked as the ISSP teacher there, I truly only had one bad student who went on to commit a most horrendous deed.

The schools would do well to find ways to work with all kids today, empower teachers to teach what they are best-suited to teach, within reason, and enlist the aid of outside sources.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I disagree with you. People who have accomplished things like completing degrees, passing state tests and background checks are deserving of more respect that people who have done nothing. So, IMO, a teacher deserves more respect than a stock boy.
I disagree....but then I believe we are human beings, not human doings. Difference in philosophy. And I certainly don't believe I automatically deserve more respect than a stock boy because I have 2 degrees (Bachelors/Masters) 4 endorsements (all required I pass a rigorous state test). Especially not the hard-working stock boy/man at my grocery store. He was born into a family that never once mentioned college because they were struggling to get food on the table. Not an excuse for him....just a belief I have from years of teaching that while all opportunities are available to all people, there definitely were more people in my life helping me to succeed than in the lives of many of my peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
When students don't respect teachers, there isn't much the teacher can do. Someone really needs to write us a manual on how to, quickly, earn the respect of students who think we need to earn respect because so much is lost in the interim. Apparently, 7 years of education, 4 state exams, years of experience and background checks don't mean we're respectable...yet being a stock boy is?????
Really? I've had students enter my classroom with very disrespectful attitudes towards me for no apparent reason. It is MY reaction to them that sets the stage. I don't get into power-struggles with them...I never win. I don't berate them or belittle them....gives them more ammunition to disrespect me. I respectly communicate and demonstrate the atmosphere I intend to have in my classroom. If I DO need to speak with them, I do so privately so they don't "lose face" in front of their peers. Have done it repeatedly with success for nearly 20 years.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You’re dreaming, respect is always earned regardless of occupation. Even Cops struggle to get respect and they wear guns! Professional educators know that, and the good ones take time at the beginning of every new class to "sell themselves" to their students. It is human nature for children and adults alike to look at people in positions of authority and question what gives them the credentials to stand up there and teach me. Good educators know that, and get it out of the way first thing by telling them about themselves, why they teach, and their qualifications and experience. In order for others to believe in you it is necessary to believe in yourself. I can remember many times having my initial opinion of someone changed by finding out their qualifications and life experiences. Of course if your qualifications are not very impressive, you may not deserve as much respect as you think you do.
I'm not dreaming. I used to be an engineer. Just saying I had that title garnered me respect. You could see an immediate attitude change. It was clear, I was elevated in the opoinion of the person I was talking to.

I'm also serious. I can't teach a child who is sitting in my class waiting to see if I'll earn his respect first. He's busy waiting for me to earn his respect and anything I do that appears contrary to that goal will be taken as proof I don't deserve it. When you assume teachers don't deserve resepct, you put them on the defensive and that is not condusive to a good education. Maybe that's what's different today. In bygone years, respect was given to teachers from day one. A teacher had to do something to lose it and then everyone was shocked. I know from experience that it is much easier to teach students who respect me than students who are waiting to see if I deserve their respect first. Even if I do earn it, we've lost weeks, possibly months with that process.

My credentials are photocopied and in my second day presentation (first day is demos and an overview of the topic). My students know up front that I have four degrees, multiple awards, and have had a 20 year career in chemistry/engineering. What baffles me is why anyone would think I need to earn their respect at this point yet many parents and students take that attitude. Not surprisingly, those tend to be the students who do poorly in my classes. The ones who see my accomplishments and respect them tend to want to learn from me. It's human nature to not want to learn from someone you don't respect so if you don't respect your teachers, you're in trouble. My children's teachers alway have been given the benefit of a doubt here and it shows in the educations my children have recieved. Teachers often go out of their way for my kids. That's why I have one 1.5 years ahead of her age mates.

Seriously, teaching is the only job I've ever had besides working for day rate in a metal finishing factory as a burr hand where it was assumed I won't do my job. As an engineer, it was assumed I'd do my job and I'd do it well. If you didn't, it was something to be ashamed of. As a teacher, I could never not do my job to the utmost of my ability (considering the circumstances of course). That's why I, routinely, worked 80 hour weeks last year at a job I knew I had to leave. I can't give you less than my best. I do find the, blatent, disrespect for teachers disconcerting. I'm used to being in a position where I was held in high esteem and would never do anything to jeopardize the respect I had.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,416 times
I teach at the college level (community college - so similar to 13th grade). A few observations I have made:

I don't have to go to continuing education classes or seminars during the summer, but I do teach online classes to make extra money. In addition to that, I spend much of my time in the summer catching up on errands/appointments/household chores I don't have time for during the school year because I work 50 hour weeks.

Every 3-4 years book publishers force us to start using the new edition of books (I teach some classes that need a new book every single year). This creates a TON of more work - I have to plan new lectures, tests, etc.

All of my friends/family/neighbors assume that because I am not "at" my job suddenly I can do things for them.
A friend of mine just asked me to babysit his baby this week (unpaid of course) - this week is my last week of summer - my first day back is Aug 9th. His wife works from home but since her regular babysitter will be out of town she needs help during the day. I said no and probably offended him by suggesting a drop in daycare. He just assumed since I am "off work" I could do it. I'm not "off work" - I'm expected to have my syllabi and schedules prepared to be submitted on the first day I return. My first week back is always filled with registration, meetings, seminars, etc. so there is no time for class prep (classes start the 2nd week back) - meaning I have to have things ready BEFORE I go back to work.
I have another friend whose car broke down and she didn't have the money to fix it. Guess who she called all summer to pick her up from work and take her home? Luckily it wasn't often, and she could take a city bus to get as close as possible to my house, but it is still a 40 minute total ride. She always offers me money for gas, but it isn't about the gas money - it's about the time involved!

Of course I know I don't have it as bad as public school teachers. They teach more hours per day and more weeks per year. But regardless teaching is a stressful and time-consuming job.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Point 1) Not all teachers vote Dem nor follow all union mandates for that.

Point 2) Unions should open their eyes and see that when they threw support to every little PC group that asked, they gave wacko groups credence.

Point 3) Unions should get back to just promoting their profession and forget the wackos. Then they should make the politicians beg for their votes -- and stop PAC funding them as well

And, yes, I was Union [and so was my husband and we were delegates]....... and no, we do not follow in lockstep because we are sick of the PC stuff and the Dem pols who expect the vote. [I am not a right wing troll.... I am a retired teacher seriously worried by the insanity of any unions supporting politicians]
1) If you try actually reading my post, which you quoted, you will see I did not say "all teachers vote Dem." I said unions typically support Democratic candidates - a statement which is factually correct.

The Republican Party supports the interests of big business and is staunchly anti-union and anti-worker. Democrats historically have been more pro labor.

2) When you say "every little PC group" I assume you mean such as African-Americans, Hispanics, special education constituencies, gay and lesbian students and parents...and I note your use of the adjective "little" to demean them.

3) The above #2 defines contemporary right wing wackos.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I teach at the college level (community college - so similar to 13th grade). A few observations I have made:

I don't have to go to continuing education classes or seminars during the summer, but I do teach online classes to make extra money. In addition to that, I spend much of my time in the summer catching up on errands/appointments/household chores I don't have time for during the school year because I work 50 hour weeks.

I think all of us do a lot of that. Most working women do not do a lot of errand running, appointments, chores, etc during the week b/c we either do not have the time or we are exhausted. There are few doctors/dentists (more dentists than doctors, I'd say), etc who have evening/weekend hours. Sometimes you can find a hairdresser who works Saturdays, or one evening a week. Some women who work full time and can afford it have a cleaning service.

Every 3-4 years book publishers force us to start using the new edition of books (I teach some classes that need a new book every single year). This creates a TON of more work - I have to plan new lectures, tests, etc.

All of my friends/family/neighbors assume that because I am not "at" my job suddenly I can do things for them.
A friend of mine just asked me to babysit his baby this week (unpaid of course) - this week is my last week of summer - my first day back is Aug 9th. His wife works from home but since her regular babysitter will be out of town she needs help during the day. I said no and probably offended him by suggesting a drop in daycare. He just assumed since I am "off work" I could do it. I'm not "off work" - I'm expected to have my syllabi and schedules prepared to be submitted on the first day I return. My first week back is always filled with registration, meetings, seminars, etc. so there is no time for class prep (classes start the 2nd week back) - meaning I have to have things ready BEFORE I go back to work.

I do think you should get paid for all the prep work you do. However, perhaps your "friend" didn't know you'd be working, either paid or unpaid. People tend to be incredibly cheap sometimes about day care. Just saying "no" might have been the better thing to do, rather than suggesting drop-in day care. Most of those places are not as "drop-in" as the name has you believe, anyway. I have a friend who has an insurance business out of his home and he has the same problem as you; people think b/c he isn't in an office during the day he can be availalbe in the middle of the day for a church committee meeting, etc.

I have another friend whose car broke down and she didn't have the money to fix it. Guess who she called all summer to pick her up from work and take her home? Luckily it wasn't often, and she could take a city bus to get as close as possible to my house, but it is still a 40 minute total ride. She always offers me money for gas, but it isn't about the gas money - it's about the time involved!

If you didn't want to drive your friend, why didn't you tell her?

Of course I know I don't have it as bad as public school teachers. They teach more hours per day and more weeks per year. But regardless teaching is a stressful and time-consuming job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching