Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I don't understand. Are you saying you wouldn't let her attend a physical education class by a male teacher?
That is correct Mike. My child, my choice.

And I'm not sure why the moderator "snipped" my post for "language" as I made a point of not using any four-letter words. I've seen far worse language used on CD that never got censored, but I guess it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
ALL schools in CA do background checks, fingerprinting, nationwide background checks, etc.....

I am sorry, but if no crime shows up but the person commits a crime after being hired, I do not think the school is responsible. That teacher is responsible.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
peg, previous work I have done revolved around high-profile cases of "educators" and their illicit activities with their students. My daughter is only 17 months old, but I already know there is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would allow her to have any interaction with a male PE teacher. Period. I also have first-hand experience with this from my own high school days since I was on the track team, and all the coaches there were males. I avoided serious transgressions against me, but my best friend wasn't as lucky.

Schools are obligated to perform background checks on potential hires, and if they fail to do so and the person commits a crime, the school is liable and should be sued. They carry insurance to protect themselves from this and other liabilities. Here in California couple have successfully sued schools for millions for ruining their children's emotional health.

I would not live in a state that allowed corporal punishment in the schools, unless they also allowed the parents to take whacks at the underperforming teachers <snip>

Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
ALL schools in CA do background checks, fingerprinting, nationwide background checks, etc.....

I am sorry, but if no crime shows up but the person commits a crime after being hired, I do not think the school is responsible. That teacher is responsible.

Dawn
I'm confused by your comment above - are you implying that I said anything to the contrary? I stated that if a school fails to do a background check and the person goes on to victimize a student then the school is liable. I would not use the word 'responsible', since it is liability and culpability we are talking about here. The perp (if convicted) is culpable regardless of the school's liability, but the school can share in the culpability and therefore be held liable. Are you disagreeing with that?

Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 AM

I am saying that the school cannot fail to do a background check. Noone is allowed to sign a contract without a background check.

I also don't see how the school can be held responsible for a teacher's behaviour.

I am asking why the school should be held responsible. How can they possibly know, esp. in school like CA where there are over 200 teachers at one school site. How do you propose they monitor on and off campus behaviour?

Dawn

Quote:
I'm confused by your comment above - are you implying that I said anything to the contrary? I stated that if a school fails to do a background check and the person goes on to victimize a student then the school is liable. I would not use the word 'responsible', since it is liability and culpability we are talking about here. The perp (if convicted) is culpable regardless of the school's liability, but the school can share in the culpability and therefore be held liable. Are you disagreeing with that?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
.....The perp (if convicted) is culpable regardless of the school's liability, but the school can share in the culpability and therefore be held liable. Are you disagreeing with that?
If all crim/record checks come back clean / clear / "no convictions" and the person is hired, how do you figure the school is liable if the person does something illegal/unethical afterwards???? If the school had knowledge and hired the person anyway - different story all together. To the best of my knowledge, any prior conviction even if decades ago prevents hires. Even a DUI can be grounds for denial of employment. As for the op comment on corporal punishment, if your school district still permits this violence, you as a parent have a right to say "NO" - permission slips are sent out at the start of every school year addressing this and if not, you can send a letter refusing permission, and encourage each of your SPTA members to do as well. If I am not mistaken, this was an issue in the latest legislative session. Contact your state representative/senator/local school board member!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM

This is true.....there was an incident where a guy applied to work in CA schools and thought his "warent for his arrest" was gone after being in Mexico for 12 years.....WRONG! The police were at his door right after his fingerprints were taken. He was a prime suspect in a murder case! Apparently the story was that he went to UC San Diego and was at a Frat party when it was "crashed" by some neighboring college age kids. Everyone was drunk and a gun started getting waved around and went off and someone got killed.

He is currently still in jail 10 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post

If all crim/record checks come back clean / clear / "no convictions" and the person is hired, how do you figure the school is liable if the person does something illegal/unethical afterwards???? If the school had knowledge and hired the person anyway - different story all together. To the best of my knowledge, any prior conviction even if decades ago prevents hires. Even a DUI can be grounds for denial of employment. As for the op comment on corporal punishment, if your school district still permits this violence, you as a parent have a right to say "NO" - permission slips are sent out at the start of every school year addressing this and if not, you can send a letter refusing permission, and encourage each of your SPTA members to do as well. If I am not mistaken, this was an issue in the latest legislative session. Contact your state representative/senator/local school board member!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
NC places such high standards on teachers passing Praxis testing.......and yet:

NC teachers may hit children with wooden planks for any reason, without parental permission, with no training, and when a child is injured, the parents seemingly have no rights......
No, not all districts in NC allow for physical punishment. Get your facts straight.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,341,128 times
I thought corporal punishment was illegal in the states.

If something is happening to the children then the community needs to be aware ... and it needs to be brought to light!

Remember children do not have voices (not my saying its just how the "system" works) give those children a voice! Start Screaming!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,254 times
Default Stating the Facts about Corporal Punishment in NC Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
No, not all districts in NC allow for physical punishment. Get your facts straight.
Thanks for pointing out that all districts in NC do not use Corporal punishment. Here are the facts and a list of the 68 counties that have policies that allow for this.

The following factual data
was collected by Dr. Gary ******** at the UNC Chapel Hill School of
Social Work in February of 2007, and used in committee hearings with
members of the General Assembly this session. It is believed to be
accurate.

Corporal punishment is listed as a possible consequence for violating
board policy and/or school rules in 68 North Carolina school districts
according to this study:

Alamance Burlington
Alexander County
Alleghany County
Anson County
Ashe County
Bertie County
Bladen County
Burke County
Caldwell County
Carteret County
Caswell County
Catawba County
Chatham County
Cherokee County
Clay County
Cleveland County
Columbus County
Davidson County
Davie County
Duplin County
Elkin County
Franklin County
Gaston County
Gates County
Graham County
Greene County
Halifax County
Harnett County
Haywood County
Henderson County
Hoke County
Hyde County
Iredell-Statesville
Johnston County
Jones County
Lenoir County
Lincoln County
Macon County
Madison County
McDowell County
Mitchell County
Mt. Airy County
Mooresville County
Nash-Rocky Mount
Newton-Conover City
Northampton County
Onslow County
Pender County
Person County
Randolph County
Roanaoke Rapids
Robeson County
Rockingham County
Rowan-Salisbury
Rutherford County
Stanly County
Stokes County
Surry County
Swain County
Thomasville City
Transylvania County
Tyrell County
Union County
Wayne County
Washington County
Wilkes County
Yadkin County
Yancey County

Two counties have banned since the above data was collected;
Union County
Chatham County

Best,
Peggy Dean

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,184 times
Quote:
peg, previous work I have done revolved around high-profile cases of "educators" and their illicit activities with their students. My daughter is only 17 months old, but I already know there is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would allow her to have any interaction with a male PE teacher. Period. I also have first-hand experience with this from my own high school days since I was on the track team, and all the coaches there were males. I avoided serious transgressions against me, but my best friend wasn't as lucky.
As a male teacher, I have to say that I find your opinion disheartening. I would expect that, just because there are some women out that sell themselves for money, you would probably be offended if I said that all women did the same. There are certainly some male teachers that behave inappropriately, but to assume that I would do the same simply because of my gender is sad. There are women that behave very inappropriately as well (though the double standard that goes along with that is all offensive and not the point of this thread), but you don't seem to have a problem with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching