Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Who says I can't think creatively? I just know how the system works. I have a limited amount of power in my own room. As long as I'm perceived by the powers that be to be doing a good job, they'll let me teach the way I want to. If they don't like the way I teach, I have to change it.

We're steering a freighter here. You don't jam the wheel over hard. You nudge her onto the course you want.

I disagree. A longer school year and better educated teachers would be a good start. There is a difference between a teacher who has an actual degree in what they teach and one who doesn't. The fact a longer school year works can be seen in countless countries around the world that teach better than we do on a longer year. What the top countries have in common is, 1) teaching is a respected profession 2) education is valued and 3) a 220+ day long school year. I would consider all three a very good start to a bright future.

All we have to do is take a look at teaching models around the world and pick from the ones that work. Unfortunately, I'm not free to do that. The time school starts, the lenght of the day, the length of my classes, the length of the year are all set for me. I know I could do a better job with six more weeks to teach per year. I could go deeper. We'd need to review less. Kids wouldn't forget as much over the long summer break.

I told you what I see as helping NOW. I'm not the one who can't think creatively here. When what you're doing isn't working, you change it. Emmulating countries that teach better on longer school years would be a positive change.
That would be the worse thing for kids. Kids need to be kids. They don't need to be imprisoned year-round.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My kids HS has a 97% graduation rate. I guess they're doing something right.

I'm no fan of tests but they are a good indicator of whether material has been taught or not. I agree that there is too much emphasis on standardized tests.

According to my daughter (grad student in International Education) the one thing that American students do well at is critical thinking. I'm not sure where you went to school, but debate is alive and well in my kids school. I've heard many times about discussions in the classrooms around the dinner table.

I agree with that.

I've lived in three different school districts and all were really nice, clean and shiny.

I don't understand that at all. I can't tell you how many school and district meetings I've been to where teachers, Principals and parents have spoken passionately about how to better our schools FOR THE KIDS. Again, I don't know what your experience is, but I feel pretty good about my kids school district.

7) Other
[/color][/b]
[/quote]

I think we have a 98% graduation rate with 97% of our graduates going on to some kind of college. Pretty good.

The problem with critical thinking is to many it means being able to have the wrong answer considered right.

One of the things my students have to do is explain errors in their labs. This requires critical thinking. I find that many find this difficult. Another area of weakness I see is research papers, which also require critical thinking. Again, students often just want the answer and the grade. They don't like being forced outside of the box. However, I think schools do try to force them out of the box. Probably moreso than asian models.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I think we have a 98% graduation rate with 97% of our graduates going on to some kind of college. Pretty good.

The problem with critical thinking is to many it means being able to have the wrong answer considered right.

One of the things my students have to do is explain errors in their labs. This requires critical thinking. I find that many find this difficult. Another area of weakness I see is research papers, which also require critical thinking. Again, students often just want the answer and the grade. They don't like being forced outside of the box. However, I think schools do try to force them out of the box. Probably moreso than asian models.[/quote]

When I speak of critical thinking, I am thinking about creative classroom discussion, where students get a chance to explore and voice their opinions on a myriad of subjects. I am not referring to "right" answers or "wrong" answers . . . but a more constructionist approach to "reality" which allows for fluidity and exploration of ideas . . . of course there is no time for that in today's classroom because the teachers are busy "teaching to the test," and the students are busy yawning and looking a the clock.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

One of the things my students have to do is explain errors in their labs. This requires critical thinking. I find that many find this difficult. Another area of weakness I see is research papers, which also require critical thinking. Again, students often just want the answer and the grade. They don't like being forced outside of the box. However, I think schools do try to force them out of the box. Probably moreso than asian models.
When I speak of critical thinking, I am thinking about creative classroom discussion, where students get a chance to explore and voice their opinions on a myriad of subjects. I am not referring to "right" answers or "wrong" answers . . . but a more constructionist approach to "reality" which allows for fluidity and exploration of ideas . . . of course there is no time for that in today's classroom because the teachers are busy "teaching to the test," and the students are busy yawning and looking a the clock.[/quote]

That is NOT critical thinking. That is voicing one's opinion and can be a part of a critical discourse but not critical thinking, you do not just get to change the definition of terms because you feel like it.

So while maybe YOUR kids are bored and cannot function in an academic setting many, many are not. Not only havent had 100% graduation rate in the 8 years I have been at my school but we also have had 100% college acceptance rate.

And I get that your struggles makes you over relate but the reality is for the vast majority of information out there, there are RIGHT and WRONG answers. Opinions don't really matter when you are discussing knowledge.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
When I speak of critical thinking, I am thinking about creative classroom discussion, where students get a chance to explore and voice their opinions on a myriad of subjects. I am not referring to "right" answers or "wrong" answers . . . but a more constructionist approach to "reality" which allows for fluidity and exploration of ideas . . . of course there is no time for that in today's classroom because the teachers are busy "teaching to the test," and the students are busy yawning and looking a the clock.
That is NOT critical thinking. That is voicing one's opinion and can be a part of a critical discourse but not critical thinking, you do not just get to change the definition of terms because you feel like it.

So while maybe YOUR kids are bored and cannot function in an academic setting many, many are not. Not only havent had 100% graduation rate in the 8 years I have been at my school but we also have had 100% college acceptance rate.

And I get that your struggles makes you over relate but the reality is for the vast majority of information out there, there are RIGHT and WRONG answers. Opinions don't really matter when you are discussing knowledge.[/quote]
I am using the term "critical thinking" to mean exploring points of view via discussion . . . I understand that academically it has a whole different meaning . . . you can replace my term with whatever works for you . . . the reason I term it "critical thinking," is because it varies from the ONE ANSWER propaganda that is the normal fare in school. There actually is not just ONE ANSWER to most things, unless you are teaching math or hard science . . .

Anyway, the point was to have creative discussion that did not demand ONE ANSWER . . . kids who go through the system where your kind of "critical thinking" is taught have their thinking skills stifled. I do not personally BELIEVE in the academic critical thinking, LINEAR model that espouses research up to a certain point, and only then may a new idea be introduced. What I am talking about is much more spiral in nature (as opposed to linear).

But that is why I am me and you are you stuck in a classroom filling heads up with so-called "facts."

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:

And I get that your struggles makes you over relate but the reality is for the vast majority of information out there, there are RIGHT and WRONG answers. Opinions don't really matter when you are discussing knowledge.
I am using the term "critical thinking" to mean exploring points of view via discussion . . . I understand that academically it has a whole different meaning . . . you can replace my term with whatever works for you . . . the reason I term it "critical thinking," is because it varies from the ONE ANSWER propaganda that is the normal fare in school. There actually is not just ONE ANSWER to most things, unless you are teaching math or hard science . . .

Anyway, the point was to have creative discussion that did not demand ONE ANSWER . . . kids who go through the system where your kind of "critical thinking" is taught have their thinking skills stifled. I do not personally BELIEVE in the academic critical thinking, LINEAR model that espouses research up to a certain point, and only then may a new idea be introduced. What I am talking about is much more spiral in nature (as opposed to linear).

But that is why I am me and you are you stuck in a classroom filling heads up with so-called "facts."
[/quote]

You have no idea what my school is like, we spend 2 days a week in the field actively working on research, including aboard a research vessel. If you think my students are bored you are delusional.

Second, who cares what you "believe"? What can you prove? Oh wait we already know the answer to that one.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
Quote:
People are pretty creative . . . the scores of SAHM's COULD home school, en masse . . . or the older kids could self-home school . . . there could be creative solutions IF people were open-minded and wanted it bad enough . . . the problem is that no one wants to buck the status quo because it is going to take some work and struggle to put a viable model in place . . .
Only 30% of families with children have one parent who stays home. That leaves 70% with no way of homeschooling. What would you do with the young school age kids with no parent at home and no money for daycare or nannies.

Family income has been decreasing. It dropped 2.9% from 2008 to 2009. Where will these stay at home parents come from? Meanwhile, the cost of living is going up. Where are these stay at home parents going to come from?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
That would be the worse thing for kids. Kids need to be kids. They don't need to be imprisoned year-round.
You know what's funny? When people talk about teachers working a 7.5 hour duty day 180 days per year, it's part time. When it's a child going to school 7.5 hours a day it's imprisonment. It's not like we're asking them to work the weekends grading papers and writing lesson plans.

Seriously, kids have time to be kids. Adding six weeks to the school year will not result in them being imprisioned year round. They will still have 9 weeks off and every weekend off.

I remember being a kid and having the summers off. By the end of July I was bored. I couldn't wait for school to start....until it did, of course . Kids don't need 12 weeks off in the summer to be kids. Trust me. They'll manage to be kids just fine with six weeks instead.

You know what would really be worse for our kids? To fall behind the rest of the world and not have jobs when they're adults as a result. We're so busy panering to kids, we're forgetting to equip them with the skills they need to succeed in life.

Seriously, the average 9 year old was working 7.5 hours a day on the family farm 120 years ago. Now they need summers off to be kids or ... just exactly what awful thing happens if they don't get it????

Yes, kids need play time but they also need to learn and the current system is not working. It's time to try something new. Actually, something old in other countries just new here.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Only 30% of families with children have one parent who stays home. That leaves 70% with no way of homeschooling. What would you do with the young school age kids with no parent at home and no money for daycare or nannies.

Family income has been decreasing. It dropped 2.9% from 2008 to 2009. Where will these stay at home parents come from? Meanwhile, the cost of living is going up. Where are these stay at home parents going to come from?
I am only one person. I don't have "all the answers." Maybe if there were think tanks, some really smart, creative people COULD come up with innovative ideas.

In the meantime, here is an exercise: Get relaxed (soaking in a tub or whatever) and daydream about the kind of educational experience that would have been PERFECT for you.

I have just begun to think about this and my ideas for myself are not fleshed out . . . but they involve group circles (intimate learning moments), lots of experiences in nature, field trips, private reading time (cozied up somewhere), group art projects, group singing experiences, gardening, study of architecture, debates, lots of play (because play is necessary to learning, not just frivolous) - all in a beautiful atmosphere . . . the buildings would be made of natural "green" materials (no asbestos!), the ceilings would be high, with gridwork exposed. There would be plenty of windows and skylights . . . no florescent lighting . . . interiors would be creatively painted and would have lots of reading nooks and learning centers, outside gardens, murals (no prison looking cells and cell-blocks). Wind chimes, weather vanes, sun dials . . .

The "teachers" would be very intelligent, KIND mentors . . .skilled at facilitating.

Psychology would be taught, as would sociology. And life skills would be taught, as well (fighting fair, personal finances, etc.)

Literature would be abundant, as would the arts (plays, music, fine art, etc.)

Math and science would also be taught, but those who do not have a natural affinity for those subjects would only be required to learn basics . . .

That's just off the top of my head. That is what would suit me, so if it is not your cup of tea, think about what would suit you.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I wouldn't home school if I was a SAHM. I'm not qualified to teach all grades and all subjects and I know it.

What's funny about this argument is that we have public schools, precisely, because parents failed to educate their own children. Now people are arguing that parents can do the job instead of schools. Talk about coming full circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.