Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM

178 posts, read 332,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This high school teacher couldn't take it any longer and walked off the job at the beginning of the school year due to students' behavior problems that he could not change.
At Manual Arts High, a caring teacher is at the end of his rope - latimes.com
The sad thing is the school won't even care. They'll just replace him and the kids won't be disciplined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Although there are teachers out there who just don't give a damn or have a sense of "I'm better than you!", I feel for the other teachers - the low paid teacher who works his/her tail off to teach but get's little to no respect in return.

If you want to solve behavior problems, go to the source which are the parents. They are to blame because rather than take responsibility for there kids, they leave it up to the school to babysit there punk kid. Its also not surprising that most of these kids (or maybe all of them) are Hispanic and or black and come from low income families that are supported by government aid.

Sometimes I wish we could have corporal punishment in school with a Marine Corps. drill Sgt. in every class, that ought keep unruly kids in line!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
If you want to solve behavior problems, go to the source which are the parents.
And do what? What, pray tell, should a teacher do about parents who have abdicated their duty of parenting? What is to be gained by going to the source? Are we supposed to teach them, too? Some schools have tried this. If you think it's next to impossible to get errant students with bad attitudes to be willing to learn, it's completely out of the realm of possibility to get their errant parents to do the same.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
So tell me...what is legal anymore.
You can't deprive the student of his/her education so you can't put them in the hall.
You can't call home because they don't believe you.
You can't send them to the principal because you look bad.
So...what now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't you call their home? Or call the parent who is at work. Their kid is disrupting your work after all, so the parents work should be disrupted too. Maybe the parent should come and sit in on a day of classes every time the student does something wrong. I remember a parent coming to their child's class when I was in elementary school. Of course I'm 39 years old and we did a lot of things then that aren't done now.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why can't you call their home? Or call the parent who is at work. Their kid is disrupting your work after all, so the parents work should be disrupted too.
I think that's already been attempted. For example, "Day after frustrating day, he said, the scenario replayed. And when he sought support, administrators met his request with a checklist: Have you contacted their parents? Have you encouraged the students? Have you treated them with respect?" from the article about the teacher who was at his wit's end at Manuel Arts High School in one of the above posts.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It's also very, very easy for parents who don't wanna talk about it to not answer their phone/return calls/show up for conferences, etc.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Although there are teachers out there who just don't give a damn or have a sense of "I'm better than you!", I feel for the other teachers - the low paid teacher who works his/her tail off to teach but get's little to no respect in return.

If you want to solve behavior problems, go to the source which are the parents. They are to blame because rather than take responsibility for there kids, they leave it up to the school to babysit there punk kid. Its also not surprising that most of these kids (or maybe all of them) are Hispanic and or black and come from low income families that are supported by government aid.

Sometimes I wish we could have corporal punishment in school with a Marine Corps. drill Sgt. in every class, that ought keep unruly kids in line!
I don't think corporal punishment was such a terrible thing. Kids might benefit from it, rather than being drugged up or allowed to be out of control. Better classroom discipline could solve a lot of academic problems.

Parents who don't want to address their kids' behavioral problems should be told that if they don't address the problem, the school will. And if they don't like it, they can take their kids out. We are allowing the education of a lot of innocent kids to be compromised and undermined by those with bad parents who are only in school to create problems.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't think corporal punishment was such a terrible thing. Kids might benefit from it, rather than being drugged up or allowed to be out of control. Better classroom discipline could solve a lot of academic problems.

Parents who don't want to address their kids' behavioral problems should be told that if they don't address the problem, the school will. And if they don't like it, they can take their kids out. We are allowing the education of a lot of innocent kids to be compromised and undermined by those with bad parents who are only in school to create problems.

You hit on a good point as I personally experienced the same. I've noticed, after all these years, that in certain classes and grade levels my overall learning, grades, and interest in school decreased due to other idiot classmates who could care less about being in school. Times when I did well was because the teacher was more focused on teaching rather than taking time out to tell kids to stop talking or whatever.

Its a major dilemma because I truly believe there are kids who are very, very difficult if not impossible to discipline and will most likely end up in jail during their adult lives.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
You hit on a good point as I personally experienced the same. I've noticed, after all these years, that in certain classes and grade levels my overall learning, grades, and interest in school decreased due to other idiot classmates who could care less about being in school. Times when I did well was because the teacher was more focused on teaching rather than taking time out to tell kids to stop talking or whatever.

Its a major dilemma because I truly believe there are kids who are very, very difficult if not impossible to discipline and will most likely end up in jail during their adult lives.
Which is why we must change the entire system of discipline, not return to ways that did not work

Positive Discipline in the Classroom Part 1 - YouTube

Positive Discipline Strategies Yield Quick Results - YouTube

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM

63 posts, read 115,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Which is why we must change the entire system of discipline, not return to ways that did not work

Positive Discipline in the Classroom Part 1 - YouTube

Positive Discipline Strategies Yield Quick Results - YouTube
The 1st video looked to be from @ 1983... just a glowing over-the-top endorsement... I personally can't stand this crap. PBIS, I'm sure is just fine for some, but what gets me is this one size fits all mentality. Most of the teachers in the video were elementary teachers, and I dare say the "fry an egg" method would work at that level, whatever the hell that is... But back to my point, not every system is going to be successful with every kid. And, not every teacher is going to be able to adjust to every new fad system that comes down the pike. What you end up with is a bunch of mindless drones going on about how "fabulous" the system works, and a bunch of administrators patting themselves on the back. As far as discipline goes, all that's required is common sense for the vast majority of us. If you need someone to teach you how to discipline then you just need to get out of the field, period. The problem is that there is a complete lack of backbone at the admin./district level to do the right thing, which in many cases means expulsion. Not allowing kids to suffer the consequences for their behavior is what is exacerbating the problem and growing/cultivating some pretty nasty kids. IMHOP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching