Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM

45 posts, read 115,392 times

Advertisements

So tell me...what is legal anymore.
You can't deprive the student of his/her education so you can't put them in the hall.
You can't call home because they don't believe you.
You can't send them to the principal because you look bad.
So...what now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,452,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
You can't deprive the student of his/her education so you can't put them in the hall.
You quit the profession.
Maybe when they realize no one wants to do it anymore, they will change the rules.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM

178 posts, read 332,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You quit the profession.
Maybe when they realize no one wants to do it anymore, they will change the rules.
Quiting is never the answer. Parents need to be more acountable for there children's behavior. Maybe the parents should have to come in and serve detention.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Unfortunately, you have no control over how parents choose to parent or not parent. You have to work with what you've got, on that front.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,452,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
Quiting is never the answer. Parents need to be more acountable for there children's behavior. Maybe the parents should have to come in and serve detention.
If you think you can make that happen - you have my signature!!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM

5,020 posts, read 10,718,497 times
Quote:
That's a great idea but, unfortunately, it will never happen.

I actually agree with quitting that particular job. Go where the good jobs are--the ones that don't look down on you as a teacher when you need to remove a student from class and/or the schools in which students only need to be told ONCE to behave in order to do so (usually b/c of high parental involvement). I have seen such schools--they are not a myth--but they are usually (although not always) private.

The only thing that you do by staying and putting up with a subpar school is become an enabler. Also, remember that people will often associate your ability as a teacher with the quality of the school at which you are teaching. It's not worth it. Stay for as long as you need to, all the while planning your escape.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,764,818 times
Quote:
Actually that isn't true at all.

CHILDREN need to be held accountable for their own behavior BY their parents as well as the schools.

Parents can create a good environment for their children and still have children misbehave. It is not reasonable to expect parents to control their children outside of their presence, this is especially true during the teenage years when peers become the primary source of expectations.

I do wish parents would support the idea of children being held accountable more than many of them currently do.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM

973 posts, read 1,706,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I do wish parents would support the idea of children being held accountable more than many of them currently do.

So do I, but that takes TIME which is why their kids act as they do, for they never gave them that (for the most part) in regards to disciplining them from the "get go" or explaining to them WHY their behavior is unacceptable and then give them consequences. TIME and being a role model is what our children need; not "things" to pacify them.

But to address your problem, you can't put them in the hall to wait for you to talk to them? I have never heard of that before. And as far as sending them to whomever does discipline, how would that reflect on you if you did talk to the student and then call home (or what I prefer to do is to send an email with a tracking device that knows it has been opened). That is protocol as far as I am concerned, and now the admin needs to take over. THEY need accountablity, too! DO you not have their backing??

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 09-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM

63 posts, read 115,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer5221 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You quit the profession.
syracuse is right in fact and in principle, I quoted William Chandler Bagley in a previous post, why not spread his sentiments again, "But the schools of such a community should be rigidly boycotted by all members of the teaching guild who respect themselves and hold in some measure of veneration the ideals of their craft."

We have an asst. superintendent, Dr. Jodi Duron, that has made it increasingly more difficult for principals to enforce discipline on their campuses. She had done this by making "discretionary" placements to the alternative "discipline" campus more difficult to attain. In other words, a kid could have 40+ discipline referrals, but unless the kid really did something (in her eyes) that warranted the placement, then it was not granted, it was considered a "campus issue." It is my strong belief that this message has clearly circulated among the students, especially the ones who would test the limits.

I always used the hallway as a means of discipline. If the idea that "we need to protect instructional time" is being shoved down your throat as to why you can't use the hall, that's just simply wrong. My argument is always, what about the other 20+ kids in the class. Why must they be forced to suffer the insufferable. Send the kid out, give yourself, the kid in question, and all the other innocent bystanders a break.

In my opinion, that's what administrators are for. It seems to me they keep shoving THEIR RESPONSIBILITY back on us. THEIR JOB IS TO PROTECT TEACHERS AND THE OTHER STUDENTS WHO HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THESE DISTURBED, MISGUIDED, and/or TROUBLED YOUTH.

Next to having a principal(s) that think they know-it-all and love nothing more than to get all up in your business, principals who don't have a clue how to enforce discipline on their campuses are the worst. My last 3 yrs. have been plagued by both types. And, I did eventually quit, resign, or retire as I like to put it...

Last edited by Jeremiah Johnson 44; 09-19-2011 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 03:54 PM

624 posts, read 1,248,965 times
I retired last June after 28 years of teaching high school. Anybody who goes into this profession in my opinion is a fool. You will be stuck between administrators who will not support you and the student and his mommy friend who will blame you. Because special education kids are being put in regular education classrooms you will have to modifiy lessons and tests and go to IEP meetings. You will have to tolerate odd and bizarre behavior. You will be told to test state standards to kids who do not know their times tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching