Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 06:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times

Advertisements

Also gpa is not a sign of intelligence, understanding or whatever. Just means you know how to "play the game" of school. Also takes a certain degree of drive and focus

As for a teacher mastering there subject... Honestly I do not think its neccesary to have a degree in there field. I would rather a teacher have a degree in teaching and understanding what it takes to teach a person.

Yes they need to understand it. If they are of normal intelligence and dedicated they can understand and master it.

In a lead position I have to learn processes, techniques, etc.... Then teach them to workers. Since everything is pretty new, I have to take the knowledge quickly understand it and help teach and train others, through this I master it.

It admit I am no teacher, but I mastered what I taught by teaching it.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Also gpa is not a sign of intelligence, understanding or whatever. Just means you know how to "play the game" of school.

As for a teacher mastering there subject... Honestly I do not think its neccesary to have a degree in there field. I would rather a teacher have a degree in teaching and understanding what it takes to teach a person.

Yes they need to understand it. If they are of normal intelligence and dedicated they can understand and master it.

In a lead position I have to learn processes, techniques, etc.... Then teach them to workers. Since everything is pretty new, I have to take the knowledge quickly understand it and help teach and train others, through this I master it.

So the requirements for you teach something to employees is less than what a certified teacher has to have.

The bolded are the Education courses that everyone always seems to ***** about. You know, the ones that "have no value and are just fluff". Those ones.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thise of you who are talking about "quality candidates". Do you even know what the requirements in your state are to get a teaching certificate?

Nope, but I think most teachers do a great job. In fact the ones that put up with the bull****, is probable a sign of their dedication.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 11-14-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Also gpa is not a sign of intelligence, understanding or whatever. Just means you know how to "play the game" of school. Also takes a certain degree of drive and focus

First, IQ does correlate strongly with grades in college and even more so with degree attained.

Second, YOUR MASTERY means nothing. I MASTERED the material in my political science courses, that does not remotely make me qualified to teach it.

That idea just doesn't work in secondary school. Besides it is almost impossible to master Chemistry by teaching AP Chemistry. Same for any of the AP and most of the Honor's courses.

There is no point to having a teacher teach a subject when they are completely unable to answer questions at the next level because they have no degree and no content knowledge beyond their current course.

I also teach courses for which no curriculum existed beyond the one which I wrote. If I did not have the content knowledge from both my degrees in my field that would not have been possible.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thise of you who are talking about "quality candidates". Do you even know what the requirements in your state are to get a teaching certificate?
Quote:
Nope, but I think most teachers do a great job............

Talking about requirements needed to be a teacher without knowing what those requirements are.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-15-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM

I never stated to know the "state" requirement.

State requirements? That is what makes a good teacher? Does that work like the state tests we make our students take. That means they have been educated, right?

The FAA required me to be knowledgeable and prove my knowledge in person to an FAA designee that I can master things that haven't been used in aviation since the 20e-30s and 40s

State requirements make a good teacher? I guess a driver license makes you a good driver, Hell most even say it on the license so it must be true.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-15-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: removed deleted post

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It is as good of an indicator as any. Take a group of 100 graduates right out of college. You have to pick one of two groups to teach at your school.

Are you picking the group from the top 20 university or the one that is ranked 100?
If I was FORCED to pick, with no interviews or other subjective criteria to aid me, yes, I would pick those from the top 20 university. But I wouldn't be happy about it.

There are all kinds of horror stories out there concerning people with 4.0 GPAs that were miserable teachers or professors. They just could not relate to kids that had to struggle, even just a little, to understand certain concepts. In turn they lacked personal experience with using certain self-help learning tools, tools that those "other" kids had to use to help them get those C and B grades. But those people with the lower scores, generally speaking, DID have to struggle to get the grades they received and they carry that knowledge with them into their classroom. Plus as we all know, many people don't "test well" for various reasons that have nothing to do with their actual intellectual abilities.

This same concept applies to othe rprofessions. Sports: that star athlete who did so well out on the field? Pffft, couldn't coach worth a darn and had little patience for those that weren't born with the DNA that allowed his awesome eye-hand coordination. Management: boy could that guy write code for XYZ Software Corp! Churned out an entire program with no bugs in less than a week - cool! But he got bumped up to section leader and pissed off just about everyone in less than a day, and partly due to lowered morale in a month overall productivity slipped 17%.

Maybe it's not politically-correct to say this, but not everyone is great at everything.

And just to be clear: I am not saying all high-scoring teaching students will end up being lousy teachers. But just that I don't believe awesome grades guarantee awesome in-class performance.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Subject matter expertise....You need someone who knows the subject to teach the subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you look at the statistics; if you are the teachers that graduate in the bottom of their class (which is most), then how can you teach students things that you don't understand?

(This is where I am going to try to help fix things. I am going to volunteer to tutor high school students, locally, to make them successful. ). You don't even want to know my credentials, and I will do it for nothing, as from the evidence, i can't do it any worse than paid teachers.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, just look at majors. What is a chemistry major worth? A math major? An english major? Look at what people with those majors could make in industry. It's not the industrial equivalent of teaching you need to look at but the major. Though I could make half again what I make now as a corporate trainer....
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent response.

Chemistry major: worth a lot
Math major: worth a lot
Most engineering majors: worth a lot
Most Science majors: worth a lot
English/Drama/Art/Sociology majors: I hope they marry well

(BTW, we usually fire corporate trainers first, in tough economic times)

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I'm another person that thinks that subject knowledge is only part of what makes a good subject teacher. My husband, a Professional engineer that graduated college with honors is not a good teacher and always drove our kids crazy when he was asked to help with their math homework.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching