Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times

Advertisements

A lot a people would be grateful for that extra year of pay, it's not like they fired you and set it up so that you were fired for cause and couldn't even get unemployment - yes, that happens to people. If you really do think you'd be better off driving into a tree than the situation you are in you need to seek professional help, and I mean that in the kindest way possible.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is really depressing and it is going to be so hard to walk into that building on Tuesday knowing what I face this year. I'll tell ya, driving into a telephone pole on the way to work on Tuesday sounds a lot less painful right now.
What you face is a job. That means someone is going to pay you money to do a certain thing. In your case it is teach.

Here's an idea: you can be grateful for that and you can walk in there Tuesday morning and do what you are being paid to do. Teach.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-01-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 04:30 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,562 times
Maybe the principal will get a new job in another district. Problem solved!!!!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ivory..you went back knowing they don't plan to offer you tenure.

YOU WENT BACK.
My kids need to eat. THEIR decision to make an offer excludes me from even drawing UI. MY KIDS NEED TO EAT. I went back because I had to. Without even UI to fall back on, I can't manage. I wiped out my savings when I was downsized out in 2007. I've never recovered because I've worked for so much less. Some choices are not choices at all. If I had the choice to draw UI starting in June when I left if I quit, would have done so. The toll this it taking on my health is great but they took my choices away when they made theirs.

Once they offered me a position, I could not leave without another job offer. I don't have one so I'm going back. Hopefully, not for long but I'm going back.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Maybe the principal will get a new job in another district. Problem solved!!!!
I keep having that dream... I'll tell ya, we'd throw him one hell of a going away party!! He'd be the only one there knowing that we were celebrating his leaving.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What you face is a job. That means someone is going to pay you money to do a certain thing. In your case it is teach.

Here's an idea: you can be grateful for that and you can walk in there Tuesday morning and do what you are being paid to do. Teach.
What I face is being on the defensive the entire year. I'm going back with a big red target on my back and my principal holds a gutting knife. It's going to be a very ugly year. I wish I could afford to quit but I can't. Not without UI to fall back on.

In which post did I say I wasn't going to do my job?

Yup, it's a J.O.B. and I'll do it until I either find something else or they kick me out at the end of the year. It's just going to be a very bad year. It's not easy working under this kind of stress.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A lot a people would be grateful for that extra year of pay, it's not like they fired you and set it up so that you were fired for cause and couldn't even get unemployment - yes, that happens to people. If you really do think you'd be better off driving into a tree than the situation you are in you need to seek professional help, and I mean that in the kindest way possible.
If I weren't facing denial of tenure at the end of the year, which is end game for my teaching career, I would be. However, the income is why I'm going back. At least my kids will eat for the next year. Unfortunately, I may be so tainted I never work again after that. At least, when they let me go next June, I'll be able to draw UI which will mean I'm ok until December. It gets rough, financially, after that. I just wish they'd let me go last June and I wish they'd told me in March so that I could have gone to the job fairs in April and May. Given they told me of their intent to deny tenure at the end of May, and I'm being told that districts don't take each other's teachers after July 1st...What chance did I really have of finding another job? I never really had a chance.

At this point, I will work whatever job I have to to feed my kids. If that's in this district, so beit. If I get offered an engineering job this week, that would be WONDERFUL. I'm not holding my breath. I'm really less than 3 months into a serious job search in engineering. Teaching is now off the table. The denial of tenure thing taints me too badly. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I find another job. I'm hoping to get out before I actually have to go through denial of tenure. As bad as things are now, that will be 100 times worse.

It is what it is and I can't change it so I'll just ride it out. I hope it ends with me finding something before the end of the year but it ends either way. I just hope I survive it. I, seriously, think my cortisol levels are through the roof. The stress I feel hasn't reduced since May. Usually I get pretty relaxed over summer but no this year. Extended exposure to stress hormones is very bad for the heart and it doesn't help the brain either.

It has to be a telephone pole. If I jumped the median, I might take someone else with me. Counseling isn't going to help. There's nothing about this situation a counselor could help. It's out of my control. All I can do is plug away at getting my resume out there and pray. Counselors are great for when you need to work through problems. They can't help me with this one. There's nothing for me to work through. I just have to survive it.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Counseling isn't going to help. There's nothing about this situation a counselor could help. It's out of my control. All I can do is plug away at getting my resume out there and pray. Counselors are great for when you need to work through problems. They can't help me with this one. There's nothing for me to work through. I just have to survive it.
A counselor can help you put this in proper perspective, help you figure out your contributions to the problem so you don't end up in the same place again, and help you sort out realistic options.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,995 times
Quote:
What I face is being on the defensive the entire year. I'm going back with a big red target on my back and my principal holds a gutting knife. It's going to be a very ugly year. I wish I could afford to quit but I can't. Not without UI to fall back on.

In which post did I say I wasn't going to do my job?

Yup, it's a J.O.B. and I'll do it until I either find something else or they kick me out at the end of the year. It's just going to be a very bad year. It's not easy working under this kind of stress.
I know from brutal experience how bad it is. It is absolutely criminal that one person can literally destroy your career and doesn't even have to have a real reason to do it.

It doesn't matter if you have a continuing contract or not. Five years and counting for me, and I have yet to get a full-time, regular job in anything.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A counselor can help you put this in proper perspective, help you figure out your contributions to the problem so you don't end up in the same place again, and help you sort out realistic options.
A counselor is a waste of time and money.

It's a lousy administrator that is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.